Anyone running a Black Rain Ordnance drop-in trigger in their AR?

Luke E.

Yesterday my friend, brother in law and I went on a drive through Puducah, Owensboro and back through Clarksville stopping at gun shops and surplus shops. While at Whittaker Guns in Owensboro my buddy saw me have the guy behind the counter pull out a BRO drop-in trigger for be to molest. When we left an got about a mile down the road he reached into his bag from the shop and pulled out the trigger that I was looking at, tossed it into my lap and said "Merry Christmas"! I know, great friends! I installed it today and it doesn't feel right. They had a couple BRO rifles in the store and I dry fired that exact (supposedly) trigger dozens of times so i'm certain what i'm supposed to have and this isn't it. There is a catch to when you start to pull the slack up and once through that it has a very crisp break but it feels to be at least 3+ pounds heavier than the one at the shop which is supposed to be 4lbs 

I'm just curious if anyone else has had the same issue? I'm going to cal BRO tomorrow but always like to get the opinion of folks here that may have had experienced the same problem.

• Like 1

First of all, yes, great friends! Congrats! But BRO has great customer service I hear. Hopefully they will take care of getting it right.

They make excellent products! I have no question about that. I have had my trigger options for this rifle narrowed down to the Giessele SD3G or the CMC triggers with the Hiperfire not completely ruled out but is in 3rd place due to the extra moving parts involved. I had not even considered a BRO trigger not because I doubted the quality but because I just hadn't thought of them so when I saw them in the case I wanted to check them out. I asked if they had one of their rifles with one installed and the guy led me straight to one on the rack. It felt just a hair heavier than what I really wanted but it was really close. It certainly didn't have this "catch/really rough spot" in it.I looked over the contact points and there seems to be a bit of a bad spot on the hammer side which could explain the "catch" but i'm not sure why it feels so much heavier. I could play with the springs to correct the pull rate but the catch isn't anything I'm going to do anything about. Hopefully it will just be a case of a bad fir control group and they just replace it.

UPDATE: I called BRO and their tech guy was more than eager to help. He asked a few questions and established that i'd done everything correctly and said to email him with a mailing address and he would send a new one out right away with a prepaid postage for return. Since I wasn't at home I decided to put the group back in the rifle so that I wouldn't risk losing something and that's when I noticed what the problem was. There was a small chunk of foreign (I think) material stuck in the disconnector spring causing the disconnector to engage the hammer ever so slightly. I pulled the piece out of the spring and installed the trigger and everything was perfect. I emailed Gregg at BRO today to let him know what I figured out and he replied withing minutes to tell me that he was glad that I figured that out so that I would have a decent trigger to work with until the new one arrived because he was still going to send it. I told him that he didn't have to do that since it was working now but he wanted me to have the best they offer and didn't want to risk that piece I found having broken off of something within the trigger. Black Rain Ornance is definitely being placed on my "folks to do business with" list because their service was exceptional!

• Like 3

Did you tighten the two set screws? There should be two setscrews to lock the trigger pack in place and reduce any pretravel.

I sure did. There is an issue with over tightening them though. If you go much further than the point that they first touch it will cause problems. Read my last post and you'll see what I figured out and how BRO handled it. Great folks! Seems like a very small company.
[quote name="Luke E." post="1160311" timestamp="1403142609"]Yes indeed. I had never even considered them for a trigger and was really leaning tot wards a Giessele but I have no regrets using Black Rain now.[/quote] I admit I've never looked into anything of theirs, but I will now.