Sr1911 Novak ambi safety don't fit

lsp408

Well, new to 1911 world. Just got me a sr1911 and ordered a Novak ambi safety from ruger website. Trying to put that safety in and it did not fit at all. Is this common thing with 1911 world? Everything requires fitting and machining?

Well, new to 1911 world. Just got me a sr1911 and ordered a Novak ambi safety from ruger website. Trying to put that safety in and it did not fit at all. Is this common thing with 1911 world? Everything requires fitting and machining?

The safety does. I had a safety fail because it wasn’t fitted properly.

It isn't a big deal. Just file or stone a bit and try it often. You can always remove more material, but adding it back is a bit more tricky.

If I can do it, it ain't that hard.

Edited by gregintenn
What do you mean cam?

I misspoke earlier. I was thinking grip safety and not thumb safety.

I will say take it very, very slowly. The difference between a safe gun and one that isn't is literally a few draws of a file when if comes to the thumb safety. Here is a pretty good video to show you where it needs to be filed. The good parts start about 5:30 and show you a good comparison so you can see what will likely need to be filed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkYOn9S6ULg

Continue to file until the safety will go all the way up but with some resistance. Then apply some grease and work the safety up and down repeatedly until it loosens up a little. Or if you want use some 600 grit sandpaper wrapped around a popsicle stick to act as a file to slowly remove material until the safety is a little easier. There should be ZERO clearance, or close to it, between the nub on the thumb safety and the cross bar on the sear. The more clearance the more of a chance the gun might accidentally have the hammer drop.

The part that contacts the sear is designed to lock the sear against the hammer. The numb on the thumb safety should move up and over the cross bar on the sear when the thumb safety is engaged.

Also, do not use your old one as a template for what to take off. No two safeties are fitted the same. It is best to take your time on the new one and get it perfect.
  • Like 2