Nashville area (outdoor) ranges?

Are there any outdoor ranges in the Nashville area where I can shoot blackpowder at long-ish (100yards) ranges?  

Within about a 45 minute drive of Nashville, I know of the Cheatham WMA Firing Range,  Stones River Hunter Education Center, Montgomery County Shooting Complex, and the Charlie Haffner Memorial Range.  Are there any others that are less well known?  

I'm leaning toward just joining the CHMR but the distance is far enough that I know I won't get the use out if that I'd like (for the $90 fee).

Thanks

you can pay a one time fee at chmr

Didn't know that.  If it was closer I'm sure I'd have been shooting there already.

Really seems like there might be a market for a private outdoor range that's w/in 30 min of Nashville... 

I could be wrong But! Being a member,
I haven't read the sign in a while,but I'd put money on Charlie having him there just because they're that friendly and nice to allow him to test whatever it is he has. Edited by Dustbuster
Rarely have trouble getting a spot, but it does happen from time to time. Seems much better now that the price is higher.

I'd bet even money on Charlie telling someone to stay and shoot, but no such money down on any of his ROs. As nice as they are, and they are all nice.

You are welcome to come shoot as my guest, shoot me a pm and we'll setup a time. Only hitch is unless he changed the rules you have to leave when I do.
  • Like 1

I greatly appreciate the offer!  If others at CHMR are even half as accommodating as you, I'm sure I'll fee right at home there.

Since it looks like CHMR is my best (and only) option for outdoor shooting during the week, I might venture down there sometime soon.

It's not easy to get an outdoor range approved within 30 mins of Nashville. I'm curious to see if someone can name another too. Off the top of my head, you have them covered.

Personally, I prefer the SRHEC on Hobson Pike. It's my favorite place to shoot, but I only shoot on weekends. They have more saftety rules than some places, but considering how inexperienced a lot of their shooters are, it's to your benefit. I could also go for a place to shoot rifles standing, but all they have is bench shooting. Regardless, it's hard to beat $5.50.

Edited by BigK

It's not easy to get an outdoor range approved within 30 mins of Nashville. 

That's what I thought at first but then I spent some time up in Sumner County--plenty rural and an easy 15-20 min drive.  I've even thought of just buying some land up there to use as a range.

I like the Stones River place but it's only open on Fridays and weekends and can get completely filled up, even on a Friday morning

That's what I thought at first but then I spent some time up in Sumner County--plenty rural and an easy 15-20 min drive.  I've even thought of just buying some land up there to use as a range.

I like the Stones River place but it's only open on Fridays and weekends and can get completely filled up, even on a Friday morning

There's no denying that they have a crowd when they're open.

Before you drop a bunch of cash on a piece of land, check for county ordinances about noise within so many feet of another residence. I have no clue what is or isn't permitted and where, but I've heard several people on here and in person say all kinds of things about neighbors and complaints and Sheriffs. I'd like to think you could do what you want as long as you're safe, but I'm completely ignorant on this subject.

Just wanted to say that I joined CHMR today.  This place is quite nice and the people were really friendly.  Met Charlie (brielfy) and I could tell that this was a place where I would feel right at home.

It's not even as far as I thought it was--took me 30 minutes on the button to get to from Nashville.  

Congrats, glad you feel at home there! It is a cool place to shoot at,I never flinch paying my dues there. not crowded in the AM. You can get everything done u need to there.If u need to go further, theres Strategic edge in chapel hill ( 500 yards) soon to go to 1K,U can come down as my guest if u need to go long distance.