S&W Chiefs Special dating and detail

MemHeli

I was hoping someone here could help me date this Chiefs Special and provide some knowledge on the engraving.  I've read that it was likely done in Germany just after WWII.  There are also some initials engraved on the right side...not sure what those are about.image2_zpsc948b7b9.jpeg

image_zps83486533.jpeg

• Like 2

Beautiful.  :bow:

PM me the serial number and I should be able to date it for you.

First off its going to be before 1955 since S&W deleted the upper sideplate screw at approximately SN 75000.  Can't see if it has the screw in the trigger guard which was eliminated in 1953, could have the smaller early round trigger guard.

Edited by DMark

Thank you.  This gun does have the screw in trigger guard.  I sent you a pm.  

It's neat to look at all the detail on the engraving.  Each detail has it's own character.  I'd like to carry it, but I don't know...seems a shame to lock it up.

Congratulations, you have a five screw transitional variation.

Agree that it does not appear to be factory engraved, but a real expert in that area would need to view the firearm to make that call. 

Heck....., I would carry it in a nice leather holster.  :cool:

You do need to be aware that blued S&W revolvers do not resist rust to well when engraved. All of this assuming nothing has been filled into the engraving.

I didn't realize that, but will take into consideration before sweating all over it! ;)  I did give it a good coating of lube to fend off / clean a bit.   I spent a fair amount of time yesterday researching the engraving, and the initials on the side monogram.  Haven't found much other than it was done in Germany...nothing on the EBH initials though.  

Congratulations, you have a five screw transitional variation.

Agree that it does not appear to be factory engraved, but a real expert in that area would need to view the firearm to make that call. 

Heck....., I would carry it in a nice leather holster.  :cool:

What makes it a transitional?  

What makes it a transitional?  

Its a term that is often used in the S&W collector world.  Means that its a feature or item that is found toward the end or start date. 

The trigger guard screw was eliminated during 1953 so there will be J Frames with the screw (like yours) and without it since S&W transitioned away from that screw during the 1953 production year.