Lee Hand Loader For Smaller Cartridges?

The MidSouth 45 grain soft point is exactly what I'm looking for, and the price range works for me too. Any experience with them to know the price range where they will consider free shipping? David is trying to come up with some for me. I'm not sure what his price will be, if he does. Thanks for the links.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should work as advertised, but if you have a Rockchucker press, I don't see why you don't just load the 22 Hornets on it.

Gregintenn, I may load some on the Rock Chucker later. I've never re-loaded anything with brass this thin before, and I thought I'd like the portability. Doubt I'll be re-loading at the range, but may move around a little locally.

The MidSouth 45 grain soft point is exactly what I'm looking for, and the price range works for me too. Any experience with them to know the price range where they will consider free shipping? David is trying to come up with some for me. I'm not sure what his price will be, if he does. Thanks for the links.

I am not sure about shipping, I pickup so never ship. But many order from them so it must not be that bad.

I've thought one might be handy at the shooting bench.

I've loaded 22 Hornet, 32-20, and 218 Bee on a bench press. The thin brass never caused a problem.

Is the parent brass for the 218 Bee the same as the 22 Hornet, or is it .223 brass? It could be handy at the shooting bench, if you had a private setting. Could be distracting at a rushed shooting range.

Is the parent brass for the 218 Bee the same as the 22 Hornet, or is it .223 brass? It could be handy at the shooting bench, if you had a private setting. Could be distracting at a rushed shooting range.

No, 32-20, 25-20, and 218 Bee are all the same family.

No, 32-20, 25-20, and 218 Bee are all the same family.

David thought he had some in his private stash...but just got off the phone with him, and none. He did bring up something interesting though. I'm thinking "all" .22 Hornets are .224 diameter. He says for the lighter 45 grain, soft point bullets, they could be .223 or .222 in diameter. I hadn't thought about it much. I guess I was just thinking .224. I'm shooting them out of TC Contender barrels...one 10" and the carbine a 21". Any thoughts? Do you remember the diameter on the .22 Hornets you loaded?

Older guns generally have a slower twist rate of 1-16" (or one turn in every 16 inches (410 mm) of barrel length) for lighter bullets with a .223 caliber dimension. Newer guns feature a faster 1-14" twist in the .224 bore diameter.

From Wikipedia for what it's worth.

I loaded .224 for mine.

You'll find "Bee" bullets to be flat point  because Winchester once made a tube fed lever rifle in 218 Bee.

"Hornet" bullets will likely have a Spitzer or round nose profile, as there aren't any tube fed rifles chambered for the Hornet that I am aware of. Either will work in your loads.

Any .224 40-45 grain bullets should be suitable.

Edited by gregintenn

From Wikipedia for what it's worth.

I loaded .224 for mine.

You'll find "Bee" bullets to be flat point  because Winchester once made a tube fed lever rifle in 218 Bee.

"Hornet" bullets will likely have a Spitzer or round nose profile, as there aren't any tube fed rifles chambered for the Hornet that I am aware of. Either will work in your loads.

Any .224 40-45 grain bullets should be suitable.

Thanks for the information. David is going to try to get me some next week. I'd rather buy from him, and support a fellow TGO'er, than I had to buy from MidSouth and do the shipping ditty. Hopefully, his price on them will be competitive with them. Have to stretch the old dollar these days!