Broke my Comp-tac CTAC

Guest db99wj

Guest db99wj

I have the standard clips and I went to take it off yesterday and something weird happened, I reached to pull the clip so that it would clear my belt and it kept on going, cracked, right were the curve is that the top of the belt touches. I emailed gunners alley and they said to send the broken clip back, we will replace it!:D

Here it is, I can upload pics, hooray!

Cracked_clip_1.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj

I wondered how it would take for you to respond!

I guess I pulled it "too far" out to unlatch it from the belt, but it is not like I was yanking on it, I just reached down and grabbed it and slid the holster off, like I do every time.

Kind of weird. I am going to adjust it and see how it fits with one clip to see if I can wear it concealed, but I will probably just wear my Blackhawk Serpa.

Gunners alley is great.

• Administrator

Yes, Gunners Alley is a great place to deal with. I've bought a lot from them over the past few years. :D

Looks like I need to be careful when I remove my CTAC from now on. I really need to order an Infidel for my M&P Compact so that I can just use that for quick trips to and from work instead of putting so much temporary use on the CTAC. Especially now that I've seen this happen.

Glad to see that they are taking care of your broken holster. Nice to find a company that not only stands behind their product, but provides good customer support as well.

I've bookmarked GA's website for future reference :D

I likely won't get any more holsters until I get a new carry gun... but I have long considered a Comp-Tac product. Which type of clip is supposed to be the most durable? I'll want to know if I ever order...

• Administrator
I likely won't get any more holsters until I get a new carry gun... but I have long considered a Comp-Tac product. Which type of clip is supposed to be the most durable? I'll want to know if I ever order...

This is the first time I've seen or heard of a broken clip. I've used CTACs for over 8 years now w/o any problem. I prefer the clip design shown above. It's their "Standard" clip. The other clips don't work very well, IMO.

www.comp-tac.com for direct ordering from the manufacturer.

www.gunnersalley.com only carries a small section of what Comp-Tac makes.

Guest LegalRaptor
I like the look of the infidel. Did you have one with the XD?

Don't have an XD, but the Infidel for my G19 has been super. It's the most convenient IWB holster I have seen. I use it more often than any other of my G19 holsters. For OWB, nothing has beaten my Comp-Tac FBI Paddle, which I use for both my 1911 and M&Pc .40.

Guest db99wj

We will see how they get a new one sent back.....as soon as I send it out, meant to do it today, but got too busy at work:rolleyes:

On a side note, the front clip is what broke, I wore it today with just the rear clip and it works ok. It moves a little more, but not much at all, it surprised me. So I can still wear IWB, not ideal, but the way it it, it still works.

I know not the best way, my option is my serpa, but I need to conceal and this is better than nothing at all.

Guest jackdog

Well any thing made can break. As long as they stand behind the product I would not be to concerned. That being said I guess I will order a spare set for my holster just to avoid any inconvenience. Glad you posted this.

Guest db99wj

Got an email from Gunner's Alley Friday. I sent it out I believe Monday or Tuesday. The email said they sent out a new one!

So far so good!

Guest db99wj

I broke my other clip.:drool:

It might be partly my fault, you tell me. I slide the clips over my belt. Some times when I adjust to fit around my belt loops (belt loops are in different areas with different types of pants, shorts, jeans etc) I will pull it out enough to clear the belt loop, that is how I broke this last one. I'm not pulling them far out, but I guess enough to break them.

I just ordered me a set of the C clips, http://static.zoovy.com/img/gunnersalley/W67-H200-Bffffff/C/c_clip_ctac.jpg, to use instead of the standard clips.

Guest db99wj

I got my replacement standard clip in yesterday and it seemed to be stronger, just by feeling them and the tension that the clip had staying closed. I used that one and my broken one and I the holster stayed put. At least if you do break one, the holster can stay put, with a tight belt. I wore it a little while with no front clip and the broken rear clip, it stayed put for the most part. I could move it around easier, but it was stable.

Got my C clips in today, so far I like them, they seem like they will be more durable then the standard clips. Not sure why the standard's broke, even if I pulled a little to far they should not have broken, I didn't pull them 'that' far and....well I just feel they shouldn't have broken. So so far so good on the c clips, Saturday will be a good test, got to wash the jeep and go to work in the late afternoon and evening.

• 2 weeks later...

What kills Comp-Tac clips fast isn't prying them open, it's what you do after that.

I'll bet you pry open the clips, and use them to lift the holster out of your pants, right? Don't do that. Unhook them from the bottom of your belt, then grab the pistol and the sweat shield and lift the whole shebang out that way. Clips last much longer.

Which clip is best? The V-clip, hands down. Never breaks, ANCHORS the holster in place, and conceals better than the others. You just need to get a belt with fuzzy-side Velcro sewn to the inside to go with it. I bought mine from beltman.net. :up:

Guest db99wj
What kills Comp-Tac clips fast isn't prying them open, it's what you do after that.

I'll bet you pry open the clips, and use them to lift the holster out of your pants, right? Don't do that. Unhook them from the bottom of your belt, then grab the pistol and the sweat shield and lift the whole shebang out that way. Clips last much longer.

Which clip is best? The V-clip, hands down. Never breaks, ANCHORS the holster in place, and conceals better than the others. You just need to get a belt with fuzzy-side Velcro sewn to the inside to go with it. I bought mine from beltman.net. :up:

:dunno:Nope I don't do that!:up:

I saw those V clips, those are neat.

The C clips are fine, the first week I had some issues with the belt, very stiff Don Hume belt, not fitting properly, but after that, they "broke in" each other and everything fit great.