WMCTV Channel 5 NBC, Memphis, Special report: Mid-Southerners "packing heat"

Guest db99wj

Guest clownsdd
"From the industry perspective of law enforcement executives we are overwhelmingly opposed to the carrying of firearms by citizens," said Michael Heidingsfield with the Memphis and Shelby County Crime Commission".

I would sure like to know what the Police Directors stance is on this issue!

Here is my e-mail to and his reply:

"From the industry perspective of law enforcement executives we are overwhelmingly opposed to the carrying of firearms by citizens," said Michael Heidingsfield with the Memphis and Shelby County Crime Commission".

Just which law enforcement executives in Memphis and Shelby County is he referring to?

What does he expect us to do, wait on the police to get there and file a report on the crime???

The Memphis Police Dept. is reactive..not proactive....they get there to investigate a crime.

Another person has placed this question on the TN Gun Owner's Site.

A reply would be appreciated.

His Reply:

Mr. -------I appreciate your taking the time to write and share your concerns--I have not seen the interview so I do not know how it was edited or cropped--I can tell you that when the interview began I told the reporter that the research and evidence is equivocal and split down the middle and can be argued from either side--I also told him that when you survey the major police leadership groups in the US, such as the International Association of Chiefs of Police, Police Executive Research Forum, Major Cities Chiefs, etc you will find the majority strongly positioned as I have suggested--My personal position has nothing to do with the Memphis situation, but is based on 30 years experience in law enforcment in four states and military service which includes a combat tour in Iraq--You have the absolute right to feel differently and even for me it is a difficult and emotional topic, which is as it should be given the fact that the US experiences 16,000 homicides a year with 80% by firearm--

Respectfully,

Mike Heidingsfield

<mheidingsfield@memphiscrime.org

More information is available by searching Memphis & Shelby County Crime Commission.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Voodoo_1
Here is my e-mail to and his reply:

"From the industry perspective of law enforcement executives we are overwhelmingly opposed to the carrying of firearms by citizens," said Michael Heidingsfield with the Memphis and Shelby County Crime Commission"

His Reply:

Mr. -------I appreciate your taking the time to write and share your concerns--I have not seen the interview so I do not know how it was edited or cropped--I can tell you that when the interview began I told the reporter that the research and evidence is equivocal and split down the middle and can be argued from either side--I also told him that when you survey the major police leadership groups in the US, such as the International Association of Chiefs of Police, Police Executive Research Forum, Major Cities Chiefs, etc you will find the majority strongly positioned as I have suggested--My personal position has nothing to do with the Memphis situation, but is based on 30 years experience in law enforcment in four states and military service which includes a combat tour in Iraq--You have the absolute right to feel differently and even for me it is a difficult and emotional topic, which is as it should be given the fact that the US experiences 16,000 homicides a year with 80% by firearm--

Respectfully,

Mike Heidingsfield

<mheidingsfield@memphiscrime.org

More information is available by searching Memphis & Shelby County Crime Commission.

This guy can't even get his facts correct in his reply! How can the research and evidence, that he says, is equivocal and split down the middle, conclude that the majority strongly positioned as he has suggested.

If his personal position has nothing to do with the Memphis situation, then why in the hell is he doing an interview with a Memphis TV station about Memphians "PACKING HEAT"?

How many of these homicides were done by thugs with illegal firearms?

How many homicides were prevented by legal firearm carry permit holders?

This whole report is nothing more than ANTI-GUN BS that is being shoved down viewers throats by an ANTI-GUN activist and it seems an ANTI-GUN tv station. WMC channel 5 news, you have (1) less viewer of your broadcast as of today.:confused::eek:

In fairness what he is saying is that research on private ownership is split down the middle (actually it is split between showing it has a major impact in reducing crime and showing it has a huge impact in reducing crime). The vast majority is the reaction of police brass in the orgs he mentions.

I guess the disconnect between what the cop on the beat sees and the brass in their offices see can be explained that the brass are basically politicians and most politicians have a basic distrust of the average citizen. It isnt based on anything concrete. It certainly isnt based on fact. But somehow the thought of millions of people doing ANYTHING without it being heavily restricted, regulated and (best of all) taxed gives these guys the willies.

But as for his written response, I could summarize it as "don't confuse me with the facts, my opinion is obviously superior."

I am sure the numbers have changed, but according to the CDC in 2002 (which is the latest figures I could gather) there were 11,829 Homicides by Firearm. There were 300 homicides (legal intervention) by firearm. 2074 Homicides by Cut/Pierce, 5,089 Homicides by NON-FireArm. So since 5089 people found it possible to kill another person by use of something other than a firearm, shouldn't we ban EVERYTHING?

Totals for 2002 - 17,638

Oh, and in case you were wondering - there were 45,380 deaths attributed to Motor Vehicle for that year. (60 Homicides)

Source:

http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10.html

Maybe Mr. Knowitall should check his facts.

Guest mrnord

:up: When I bought my first Pistol, a Sheriff's deputy helped me pick it out. He was the Deputy that responded to a domestic situation my family had to contend with. No police or sheriff that I have spoken with has ever told me to go disarm myself, in fact, I was actively encouraged to get my HCP by the Sheriff's deputy. He said that I may be the person who saves him some day. :)

"Law Enforcement Executive": One who executes enforcement of the law. The rule of law says that we have the ...Right to Keep and Bear Arms... Perhaps he should execute the enforcement of that law instead of complaining about us exercising it, or perhaps it would have been better for Mr. Cope to have been unarmed that day?

:D

BTW, unless I fire a couple mags through it, my G22 does NOT radiate heat.

Ah, whew! Breathe!

Carl