Gallatin Gun Club classifer match

Gallatin Gun will have a classifer match on Sept. 13 starting at 9:00AM. Set up at 7:00. Normal match fees of $10 for members and $15 for non-members for each gun shot. Per new rules, some classification scores may be transferred to other divisions. Be sure to note on score sheet if you want your scores applyed to more than one division. Classifer is 90 rounds.

Edited by rstandley
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read a fair amount about IDPA, ISPSC, etc. but I've never been to a formal match or competition event. I am a firearms instructor and have been coaching two 18 year old boys for several years, both of whom are pretty skilled target shooters, and I believe they are ready to enter into the competition arena at least to learn the rules and start learning / practicing basic defensive pistol skills. Is this qualifier event the right place for new shooters to come and get started?

I've read a fair amount about IDPA, ISPSC, etc. but I've never been to a formal match or competition event. I am a firearms instructor and have been coaching two 18 year old boys for several years, both of whom are pretty skilled target shooters, and I believe they are ready to enter into the competition arena at least to learn the rules and start learning / practicing basic defensive pistol skills. Is this qualifier event the right place for new shooters to come and get started?

Classifiers are really great practice for a new as well as seasoned shooter. It will familiarise a new shooter with reacting to the buzzer,as well as drawing from the holster. If I'm not mistaken there are 13 draws during the classifier. Every aspect of idpa is covered during the classifier other than moving targets and shooting from concealment. A shooter will be tested with having to make head shots as well as shooting around a barricade at distance utilizing proper cover and tac reloads. It is a great way to get your feet wet. Edited by dlmeadows
Thanks guys. I figured this event would cover all the basic facets of IDPA shooting, which is great. My only concern was that it might be primarily for shooters that already know IDPA and/or have defensive shooting skills, and that are just there to be scored for classification into groups based on their current abilities, so that they are ready to compete in the next match. If so then I figured those shooters may not appreciate 2 new kids showing up with no IDPA knowledge and only a brief intro to defensive shooting. I am really wanting to get these kids into an intro or tutorial event, where an experienced IDPA shooter (and ideally a professional instructor) can teach them the basic rules and techniques and let them try it out in a low pressure environment. I can continue coaching them after we are familiar with the rules and courses of fire, and get them started. I already gave them their first chance to try standing at casual ready, waiting for a random timer buzzer, then dropping into a weaver stance, drawing a Ruger LCP from an OWB holster and firing 2 DAO shots via 1-handed point shooting from a retention position on a 2-yard torso target, with their weak hand/forearm shielding their heart vital zone. After just an hour of that instruction and 50 rounds each, they were both running 1.5 to 1.7 seconds total time for this drill with no misses or safety violations at all, and their final 50 round groups averaging 3-6". So I am anxious to get them started and see what they can do with further training.

New shooters are not a problem. Since each shooter will shoot each stage alone with the safety officer, the officer can give each shooter just what they need. Also, you are welcome to stand by and step in if needed. Make sure they are in my squad, I will be the match director, head safety officer and I and also a safety officer instructor and NRA pistol instructor. :usa:

Well crap. I just realized that boys and I are signed up to volunteer at a church event on Saturday from 10-3. Please keep me posted on the next event which would be suitable for their intro to IDPA. I am an instructor with 7 certification ratings including pistol, rifle, shotgun, personal protection, and RSO, so I'd be happy to help run any events as needed once I know the ropes.