Traded into this today - .22 Hornet

graycrait

I traded into this today up at the Davidson County Sportsman Club range.  The guy I traded has been reloading .22 Hornet & .22 K Hornet since 1977.  He tossed in several hundred bullets, several pounds of powder, dies, etc., to get me started reloading this round.  He knows I am most interested in shooting "bunny" rounds rather than 150 yard coyote rounds.  The scope is a neat little Burris 3-9 Mini.  I don't know when Burris  made those little gems but I wish I had one or two more for some rimfires I have.  Oh yeah, it had a youth stock on it and I replaced it with a Choate adult sized stock.

HandiRifle22Hornet_zps9170d7e8.jpg

Also shot my .357 Handi with the C-More with some 125 grain Privi Partizan .357.  I could hit whatever I put the dot on from 25-200 yards with that round.  A fella gave me about 10lbs of cast boolits for the .357 for my "bunny" loads for that caliber.  

cmorehandi357_zpsfc55fe1c.jpg

Edited by graycrait
  • Like 1

I got the two Handis in those calibers just to satisfy my curiosity in reloading rounds that can replace .22LR if need be.  Dolomite is giving me some advice and he tells me at some point I probably need to talk to Caster.  I've accumulated some bits and pieces of reloading gear, about 6 different types of powder and enough bullets to keep me going for awhile.  I need to get cases in .22 Hornet, .38 and .357.  I'll need to get some basic casting gear too.  I found a guy who has buckets of very old wheel weights. 

I found a pair of 17HMR Ruger American Rimfires near Dover, TN, one compact the other standard.  After my experience with the Ruger American Rimfire in .22LR I think at some point I will get a RAR in .17HMR.  I haven't had a .17HMR yet.  I would rather just get a heavy barrel Savage B-Mag in .17WSM over the .17HMR or even a .22WMR, but .17WSM is rarer than .22LR CCI Mini Mags.

In the meantime the .22 Hornet/.22 K-Hornet will do everything I would need out of any .17 rimfire.