Handgun Carry Condition

Guest drewi

Yeah... I agree that it's not the best idea to make the trigger, of all things, perform the same function as a take-down-lever... Those two actions should never be confused.

However... the XD does require one to lock the slide back before beginning the take-down procedure... this is an excellent opportunity to visually inspect the chamber and magwell to verify that nothing is in there. A Glock does not require the slide to be locked back prior to removing the slide. That is enough of a difference, to me, to provide sufficient opportunity for a responsible user to avoid an AD.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the last time i went to the range i was inspecting a gun before we put them away and i charged it to check to see if it was loaded as i always do when handed a firearm and at first i thought it was empty because no round came out but i visually inspected as i was trained to and saw a round in the chamber. i said to the owner that it was loaded and they told me no it wasnt so i showed them the round and offered to get a cleaning rod as the round seemed to be stuck in the barrel. the owner asked for the weapon back and said they would get it out. i turned around and the next thing i know the gun went off pointed at our feet and luckily neither one of us nor any neighbors were injured except for a small cut on his thumb where he was holding the slide when it fired.

However... the XD does require one to lock the slide back before beginning the take-down procedure...

Well, yes, you are supposed to to that. but as the manual says:

Pull the slide slightly to the rear to release the slide

stop lever. Then allow the slide to slowly move

forward until the spring tension is released. Pull the

trigger with the pistol pointed in a safe direction to

fully unlock the slide from the frame.

Basically, except for the SIG-type slide release, it works like a Glock.

Well, yes, you are supposed to to that. but as the manual says:

Basically, except for the SIG-type slide release, it works like a Glock.

The take-down lever on an XD won't move unless the slide is fully retracted, whereas the Glock takedown tabs can be released with minimal movement of the slide.

Just goes to show that you shold not trust that your ejector works 100%, actually looking and/or sticking your finger in the chamber is a better indicator.

That takedown method shared by Glock and the S&W Sigma is the only thing I do not like about the Sigma. Goes against Cooper's rules.

Guest looneeetunes

i carry one in the pipe, on almost all my guns i have two semi's that dont have firing pin blocks tho, and i dont carry them with one in the pipe. but i may carry those guns two to three times a month as well. i have kids around me constantly and its just a matter of preference with me. those two guns are only carried when clothing doesnt allow anything but those guns for concealability. i dont like the idea of not having it ready to go, but i am always concerned with no trigger block, a possible drop or tackle by one of the kids and something going off. probably something that would never happen, but stranger things have happened i guess

My Steyr works like the Glock. You have to pull the trigger then you can turn the take down lever...

I just look a few times and put my finger in there a time or two to make sure...

On the Steyr there is a LCI on the back of the slide but there is also a window in the breach that you can see brass from the top if there is any..

Now for how I carry...

Steyr Condition 0

RIA 1911 Condition 1

First, I believe you need to choose the correct firearm for conceal carry. The handgun should have an internal firing pin block safety to prevent AD. Consider Glock or handguns that are DA/SA.

Second, choose the correct holster for conceal carry. This will require some trial-and-error. Any holsters that I choose (open or conceal) will completely cover the trigger area. I do not want to have an AD due to something or someone being able to pull on the trigger.

Third, carry condition zero. Regrettably, I saw a perfect example of why you should have the firearm in condition zero when watching TV. The show was hidden security camera of a jewelry store owner in Florida. The store owner had been robbed before and the store owner decided to get a conceal carry holster and firearm.

The store was empty when the man entered the store. The store owner became suspicious and when the bad guy turned his back to the store owner, then the BG reached into the front of his pants to pull his gun, the store owner got the drop on the BG having already pulled his firearm from the rear holster.

Unfortunately in the video, you can see the store owner point the firearm at the BG and then struggling. Sort of like dry firing the gun. The BG had turned around and saw the store owner had the drop on him but the store owner was not firing. The BG shot the store owner few to several times (I cannot remember exactly).

As the store owner lay on the floor, the BG put his gun up to the store owners head to shoot him dead and the BG gun went click. The BG was out of bullets. So the BG stole the Rolex watch off the store owner’s wrist and left the store.

A person walking past the store heard the shots and reported it to police. The store owner nearly died from his gunshot wounds.

After the store owner recovered from his ordeal, it was discovered why his firearm was not shooting and why he was having problems. In the heat of the moment, the store owner forgot to disengage the gun’s safety.

Of course, there are other scenarios that would benefit from having your firearm in condition zero in order to get ahead of the reaction curve.

When SHTF, your shooting capability will reduce to your level of training. In other words, if you are used to shooting at the gun range with the safety off, then when SHTF, you have conditioned yourself to not disengage the safety.

Regards threeshot

Guest looneeetunes

i saw the same video,, i think anyway,, it was the same scenario. that is why like i said above i rarely carry without condition zero. and i doubt i will much at all now. today i got an iwb holster for my taurus pt145.

Guest canynracer

I had to correct my "condition one" statement above...I misunderstood the meaning...I carry ready to fire...my gun has no saftey except the fact that my holster covers the trigger, and me. :hyper:

so whatever "condition" that is...