Handgun Carry Condition

Guest drewi

I wanted to start this thread to see what condition everyone carries their gun in. I didn't author this thread to start a debate about carry gun conditions (spirited debate is expected though), I want a poll of sorts so the newer owners of carry permits can find their own path.

I keep my handgun in condition one, always.

I don't have any kids or have any questionable people over to my house. Of course when visitors are here all firearms are kept out of sight, unless a bunch of gun guys here.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sermon8r
I wanted to start this thread to see what condition everyone carries their gun in. I didn't author this thread to start a debate about carry gun conditions (spirited debate is expected though), I want a poll of sorts so the newer owners of carry permits can find their own path.

I keep my handgun in condition one, always.

is there another way?????;)

is there another way?????;)

No. But there are a lot of people that don't see things that way.

I think carry condition can be situationally dependent though.

Guest Loaded247

As DeeZee stated, if it's not being cleaned or maintained, then it is loaded and chambered - PERIOD. And yes, if you are going to keep and carry a firearm for defense, then training is CRITICAL!!!!

How so? Are you talking about pocket carry or some other situation?

Every pistol that I carry is always kept loaded. Whether it goes on the belt or in the pocket. I just do that because that's the way I carry and I don't want to try to remember whether I loaded a gun or not. Also makes it easier to follow the safety rules. Are all guns always loaded? Yes.

I've talked to some people that prefer say condition 3. Yes they know the difference and have probably carried condition one for a long time. They could have young kids that would pull the trigger on a gun they found. Or if you had a troubled teen living in your household.

The biggest point I wanted to make with that statement is some people just aren't going to carry with a round in the chamber. Should they? Maybe. Are they going to change their mind if we say "you're stupid if you don't carry a round in the chamber"? They'd probably just get pissed at us. People will have legitimate reasons and silly reasons for doing things a certain way.

No. But there are a lot of people that don't see things that way.

I think carry condition can be situationally dependent though.

I may get bashed for saying this, but I'll give you a situation that I don't carry with a round chambered. Once a month at church I keep a class of about twenty 2-3 year olds. I still carry, but with no round chambered. Now before I get trashed by the "an unloaded gun is useless" crowd, I should mention that I practice drawing and chambering that first round reguarly.

Will that split second difference matter in a gun fight, who knows? Nobody knows what their fight will be like.

For me in this particular situation, the peace of mind is worth the half a second.

I never thought about it like that drew, I think that I might just work on my drawing and target aquisition skills..so that if I think the situation warrants it I can carry in condition 2 and feel comfortable about it. My brother does but he can draw and shoot about as fast as I can blink..and hit what he shoot...but he's some sort of freak anyway :devil:

Guest Idahoser

Once a month at church I keep a class of about twenty 2-3 year olds. I still carry, but with no round chambered.... For me in this particular situation, the peace of mind is worth the half a second.

No trash here. Readiness is a scale, not an either/or.

I would worry doing what you do, that in a surprise engagement, I wouldn't remember whether there was one in the chamber or not (since I use both sometimes). In your situation, I think I might switch to Israeli (don't remember the condition number) where I ALWAYS rack the slide. Otherwise I'd either drop the hammer on an empty chamber or eject a good round.

Murphy says so.

The XDs and 1911 are always Condition 1, when loaded.

The Sig & Berettas are always Condition 2 (DA/SA, hammer down, chambered round), when loaded (I almost never carried my 92F, but when carrying concealed the safety was off, when carrying open the safety was on).

Always one in the pipe, regardless.

Guest MidTNShooter

Due to certain working conditions I have to really conceal my weapon. If the boss finds it, I'm canned. So like that old saying states, "Better to be judged by 12, than carried by six"! My only problem would be to find six people who would carry me, not big, just nobody wants to be my firend. (waaaaaaaaa sob sob) :D

MidTNShooter

Guest MidTNShooter

ReefBlueCoupe stated 13 in the Mag and one in the chamber. Get some more mags. When I shoot theres 9 in the clip and one in the chamber. With fourty more rounds on my left hip. Now thats fire power. A friend (police officier) once told me if I need more than one mag, I need to get back to the range. Well I'm there all the time, but this time with five magazines. I have more than the thug has who wants to hurt me. Alot more !

MidTNShooter