My first AR

DaveS

If we're talking conventional scopes, you must be getting 30mm rings instead of 1 inch, which your scope seems to be.

Generally the wrong way to go .. longer the sight radius the easier on the shooter. You simply need to adjust your iron sights correctly, as Gideon says: front sight is for elevation, turn it lower (clockwise) to raise point of impact. AR sight tool easiest way.  Rear sight is for left/right windage. Again, I would suggest 50 yard zero as best all around option -- that will indeed make your closer shots a bit low, but easy to compensate for that distance, and from 50 to 225 yards or so is much closer than a 25 yard zero:

AR15zerochart.jpg

As far as height with conventional scopes, dunno what's going on there. Higher rise are generally what's needed, and they will be necessary to get your scope to clear folded down rear sight also. As Gideon also mentioned, the P.E.P.R. is a good choice. On the other hand, I have one rifle with cheap UTG high rings that do nicely also. In both cases, I use quick detach models, which have been fine.

PEPR mount:

PEPR.jpg

UTG high rings (they do just barely clear Magpul rear sight):

scopemount.jpg

- OS

You are right on the sight OS. The problem was my eyes (I require reading glasses) could not focus on the rear and front sight as close as the rear sight was to my eye. When I moved it forward (farther from my eye) I was able to focus then.

Dave

I got the scope mounted with the proper eye relief for my eye.

8b7a1bd5-fcd2-45a8-8bfb-94faa41f920e_zps

I bore sighted and dialed the scope in at 25 yards. I then backed it out to 50 yards and shot. I'll do a little more shooting at 50 before I back it out to 100.

d944c756-8ca2-43d6-843b-4274170fff1b_zps

All in all, I'm very pleased with my purchase of a Ruger AR 556. It's my first AR and I'm stoked about it! Now on to build me one in 308!

Dave

You are right on the sight OS. The problem was my eyes (I require reading glasses) could not focus on the rear and front sight as close as the rear sight was to my eye.

Even with my reading glasses it's not possible, and not really possible with 20/20 vision either. Front sight is the one to keep truly sharp in vision, the rear AR peep is only to "frame" the front sight, don't even try to "focus" on it -- closer to the eye the better for that, not farther away from it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1