Anybody a shop mechanic/ in the auto parts biz?

musicman

I'm trying to figure out which brake system (and more specifically, which front rotors and pads) my 08 Volvo S80 V8 has. I've done lookups at all the chains (AZ, Advance, etc) and all give me different options, none narrowing down exactly what I need.

What I'm looking for is someone who has access to a dealer search tool that can plug in my vin and tell me what I have. Rockauto, FCPeuro, and the others give me the same multiple options as the chain stores.

It's an 08, so that was when Ford owned them... wondering if someone at a Ford shop would have access to this info, too, and not just a Volvo dealer.

Thanks in advance.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't go to the Volvo dealer and ask? They might get whiny if you don't buy anything, but they will usually look up part numbers for free.

You are aware that often the 'options' are multiple based on the options, the car is turbo, or not, has a sport package, or not, then after you narrow down the part you need, you have the different brands/levels of part? The same Part, Part X, but Silver, Gold, Platinum which equates to price, quality and warranty, even though it is the same part it is a different number. It is no different than nearly any part on your car. It is the same part, you just have five different makers, and prices.

A 1990 Toyota Celica will have two different part numbers for the front pads, based on options. The 5SFE and 3SGTE will have one number, the 4AFE will have another. After I decide on part A or B (my car take A) I have to decide if I want Duralast, Hawk, Wearever, etc, then do I want Duralast Silver, Duralast Gold, or Duralast Platinum with the lifetime warranty for $20 more...

But that doesn't mean that ADP is the only part number that fits my car, AHS would fit too, but the price would be different.

Unless I missed the whole point of your question.

Edited by Murgatroy
Yea, I got all the jive about grades of part, etc. I actually sold auto parts for a few years. I understand about the options affecting the parts as well. That is where I am. I haven't found any search tool that explains which options end in which sizes/spec of parts. My car comes with 4 motor options, I have the biggest. I'm hesitant to simply equate that to mean the biggest brakes, as that may not be the case.

I'm asking here precisely to avoid the stink eye from the guy at the Volvo dealership. If I get no assistance, I'll go be "that guy" as necessary. ;-)

Up front short of calling the dealer and running the vin you will need the current rotor diameter(even the volvo factory parts diagrams reference all three in relation to the v8 s80). 300mm, 316mm, or 336mm, out back you just need to know vented or not on the rotors. If you want to avoid being that guy pop a front wheel off and measure the front rotor, done.

Edited by 2.ooohhh

While you've got it off might as well just carry the old pads with you to the parts store and get them to turn your rotors when they match up your old pads.

Make sure you get the $1 packet of anti seize.

Edited by swim615
Getting new rotors as well :-) Have a bottle of the good orange brake quiet and a tub of premium grease, too.

Rockauto will probably be my parts source for the job. I don't feel like paying AZ $80 each for $30 rotors just because it's a Volvo.

Getting new rotors as well :-) Have a bottle of the good orange brake quiet and a tub of premium grease, too.

Rockauto will probably be my parts source for the job. I don't feel like paying AZ $80 each for $30 rotors just because it's a Volvo.

Then guess I won't recommend IPD  :P 

Actually I get all my euro parts from Rock Auto.  They're cheap and fast.  They've only screwed up once... sent me the wrong head gasket for my S80 then sent the right one overnight at no charge.  :up: