I-40 west of Tennessee River

Took a road trip up to Nashville to catch a hockey game this weekend and noticed the roads west of I-40 were awful.  There were a few places here and there where we had to watch for holes along the way but eastbound and westbound just west of the river was ridiculous.   Anyone know what's up with that?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is bad.  We had a LOT of water with multiple freeze/thaw cycles... during which the water never left the roadway due to slush.  Apparently with that particular compound of asphalt and its age,... we got incredibly bad potholes in a hurry.  They had repaired a lot of eastbound holes  (just before the TN river) when I came through yesterday.

...looks like more fun on the way Wednesday!

Did that last year when it got really cold. Like massive pot holes? It was really bad right around Jackson. I think the water gets down in the road then when the deep freeze sets in you get the cracking pavement. That's what I saw on TV anyways.

I would say they were probably a couple of inches deep but there were tons on them going both ways, although headed west did seem better, it seemed like.  Looked like they had been patched before  but between the freezing and erosion they just got worse.  Of course our minivan has a lot of road noise and you can normally really feel any bumps so that just made it worse.

Didn't know if it was just a county issue since they seemed to be where the biggest collection of them were between Memphis and Nashville.