7.92x57

Guest Astra900

Guest Astra900

I'm one of the very few people in the world that think the 7.92x57 Mauser cartridge is as good as any a normal TN gentleman would ever need.

My question, does anyone or has anyone ever made a commercial rifle in that chambering? I've seen a Remington 700, but I'm not a big fan of that action.

I hate to go to the trouble and expense of re-barreling another rifle. I have several mil-surp rifles. I guess what I'm wanting is for Ruger to crap me out a M77MkII in Stainless.

I love the cartridge, I wish it was a more "commercially" popular:(

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston

Known to European sportsman by the designation "8x57 IS" (IS= Infantry Spritzer)_... it's more popular over there. Much like our 30'06 over here. Most (if not all), European mfgs of centerfire hunting rifles should have offerings in that calibre:

Here's one of CZ's

http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=3&ids=10&idz=39〈=en

and one of Sako's:

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/85Bavarian.pdf

Beretta is the distributor of SAKO in the US, so any authorized Beretta dealer should be able to order you one. CZ-USA's page was having technical difficulties when I looked at it, but I would assume a rifle could be special ordered from a CZ dealer.

Edited by gcrookston
Guest Astra900

Now if I could just convince the Mrs. to let me spend the dough....not going to happen anytime soon. That CZ is beautiful. I think the real problem is that americans didn't want to deal with rifle that had two possible bores. It's funny that the Euro's have no problem with it. Or maybe it's lack of availability after the war. I'm going with the first one. Americans tend to lump things together, and that's dangerous with a .005 difference in bore diameter. Most people on our side can't even get the name right. It's funny to hear "8mm Mauser" and they get insulted if you tell them that Mauser had nothing to do with that cartridge's development or manufacture. It picked up the Mauser tag after it hit Us soil because that's what most of the rifles were. That would be like calling a 7.62x54R a .30 Mosin.

It's a real shame too, the 7.92x57 can be handloaded to an extremely fine round. If loaded in a good solid rifle it will bang heads with the '06 all day. It might lose at the crono and on paper, but real world results, they are almost perfectly neck and neck with only a fractional margin going to the '06.

Probably a marketing issue; wouldn’t be much demand.

Why not just get a K98 and set it up however you like?

Well, I probably will, if I can't afford to get a newly made CZ or Sako, but I sure hate to start chopping one of the old war horses. I guess I could find one that's already been sporterized, but then i have to deal with Bubba's smithin'. AND by the time I buy a Douglas barrel, a Timney trigger, and an acceptable stock, I could probably afford a new rifle.

Guest Crunchman

If you just have to go the sporter route with a military rifle, try to find a Yugo M48 or 48A. They are K98 clones and are very high quality (with the exception of picking the bores, a lot of 'em have very rough bores from corrosive primers). Getting a good aftermarket stock, a replacement trigger and safety, D&T for a scope mount , recrowning the barrel, and doing most of the work yourself, you'll likely have around 4 to 5 hundred in it.

I have both Yugo models in original condition and it's not uncommon to get 2" groups at 100 yds. with either one, using handloads. Any further out and these old eyes just can't use the iron sights.

Guest gcrookston

The term "8mm Mauser" was developed and marketed in the U.S. by Mauser to sell sporting rifles here and in England before WWI and again in-between the world wars.

While it is a great round, it has never caught on here commercially because it offers no advantages to the 30.06 and has always been and will always be handicapped here due to cost and demand. 30.06 in Europe suffers the same way.

Guest 70below
That would be like calling a 7.62x54R a .30 Mosin.

Actually, I like that idea! Less of a mouthful than saying 7.62x54R! (Besides, how many people out there think that the "R" means "Russian" not "Rim or Rimmed") You've convinced me.....from now on.....its .30 Mosin! As long as people know what you're talking about....what difference does it matter what they call it? the 7.92x57 is a good round though, I can understand your enjoyment of it.

Guest Astra900

.30 Mosin it is. Wow, this could start a revolution in the ammo world.:drama::D

I do really enjoy the round and nothing beats the fun factor of people asking you what you're shooting and telling them 7.92, then seeing them go cross eyed.

Guest Astra900
If you just have to go the sporter route with a military rifle, try to find a Yugo M48 or 48A. They are K98 clones and are very high quality (with the exception of picking the bores, a lot of 'em have very rough bores from corrosive primers). Getting a good aftermarket stock, a replacement trigger and safety, D&T for a scope mount , recrowning the barrel, and doing most of the work yourself, you'll likely have around 4 to 5 hundred in it.

I have a 24/47 and it will hit a clay target at 100 yards all day on irons. I love it. I bought it and paid WAAYY too much, just under $300. It was arsenal new. All refinished, Mirror bore, perfect stock. I have put about 4k rounds through it, and it's not quite perfect any more but still mirror bright, most of that ammo was Turkish...wow that stuff is HOT!!! I have also have a nice Turk, but it's a small ring, and I'd just assume leave it on the wall and look at it.

I will most likely re-barrel any older rifle I decide to use because even very light pitting, the kind you need a bore scope to see, makes it a pain to clean cast bullets, the lead likes to get down in there and stay. That's what I want to get into. I think I'll probably look for a bubba rifle that hasn't been D&T'ed and just start from scratch. I'll never sell it anyway.