Park Carry Bill May Be In Trouble

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ghostrider
I think people are going to be very intimidated by not knowing who has guns," Fyke said. Fyke said only four crimes against state park visitors were reported in 2005 and eight in 2006. There were about 50 million visits to state parks during the two-year period, he said.

What this idiot implies is that these crimes were committed by legal carry persons, which, of course, is bull crap... Slant it for me, baby... :stare:

Guest Ghostrider
Ghost, not to mention that the incidents doubled in 1 year. 4 in 05 8 in 06! So that means crime went up, which means they are not providing a safe environment!

Ed-Zackey!

Gun free zone = free fire zone....

Guest Phantom6

Get on the phone or your 'puters and contact your Reps and let 'em know that you expect them to vote for the measure and that you will hold their feet to the fire if they do not.

This note was sent to me today by Tim Nunan:

-----------------------------Rep. Frank Nicely introduced House Bill 2184 (HB2184) to remove the restriction on individuals possessing valid handgun carry permits carrying in state parks. Rep. Briley, the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, amended the bill to remove all restrictions on carry on state and local government property. Briley did this as a poison pill hoping that such a broad removal of restrictions would defeat the bill in committee. Didn t work, the bill passed out of committee prompting Briley to amend it again by adding the following:

The appropriate governmental entity shall post visible signage informing any person entering a public park, playground, civic center or other building, facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes that the carrying of handguns by persons who have been issued a handgun carry permit pursuant to § 39-17-1351 is permitted on such property.

If passed with this amendment, state and local governments would be at considerable expense to print and post the required signsand may lead to the bill s defeat. Or so Briley, and I suspect Naifeh, hope. Current law does not require any other property owner, nor would this amendment, to post such a sign. This is clearly another attempt by Briley to cause the bill s defeat.

The following serve on the Calendar and Rules Committee:

Larry Miller, Chair

John Hood, Vice-Chair

Nathan Vaughn, Secretary

Joe Armstrong, Stratton Bone, Rob Briley, Tommie F. Brown, Frank Buck,Glen Casada, Charles Curtiss, Lois Deberry, John J. DeBerry, Jr., Craig Fitzhugh, Ulysses Jones, Jr., Mike Kernell, Mark Maddox, Steve McDaniel, Michael McDonald, Jason Mumpower, Jimmy Naifeh, Gary Odom, Doug Overbey, Phillip Pinion, Randy Rinks, and Les Winningham

In order to get this bill out of committee it is imperative that the members be contacted, in a positive but respectful manner. The committee s telephone number is (615) 741-7016. Clicking on any of the committee member s names will provide their office telephone number and e-mail address. If you do contact committee members, and have time, I d be very interested in the response you receive.

OK guys and gals, I just clicked on every legislators' name to see who may be for us and who may be agin us. For what its worth, there are 4 Republicans and 21 Democrats on this committee. Many of the Dems are from West Tn and the Memphis area. This is not looking good.

Guest Hyaloid

Someone smarter than me indicated that they thought the signage amednment was added to make the passage less likely, due to financial appropriations.

It is an asinine requirement. We don't have signage on public streets saying that it is legal for us to carry whilst walking on them! Send your permit holders a mail announcement, and let it go. No need to have new signage on all of our parks.

Folks, we are going to have a problem as long as the Democrats hold the House.

Yes, I know some Democrats are pro-gun, but they support their party leaders who are anti-gun. They continue to vote in Jimmy Naifeh as slimeball of the House and he appoints anti-gun committee chairmen. In this case it's two strikes and you're out.

You want reasonable gun legislation? Elect pro-gun politicians who will put their principles above their party affiliation. Dream on.... Since that isn't going to happen in either party, elect Republicans in order to change the Speaker.

Guest dotsun

Associated Press - May 15, 2007 7:55 PM ET

The state Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday advanced a proposal to allow people with handgun permits to carry their guns in state parks.

The Senate panel did not adopt changes made in the House that would allow guns to be carried anywhere not prohibited by federal law.

Senator Tim Burchett of Knoxville, the bill's main sponsor, said the House amendments were brought to try to kill the bill.

State Environment and Conservation Commissioner Jim Fyke argued against allowing handguns in parks.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=6521366

Guest looneeetunes
Guest looneeetunes

here is one reply, dont know if its blowing smoke up my barrel or not.

Dear Chris,

Thank you for favoring me with a copy of your email sent to all members of the General Assembly. You make several good points that merit our consideration. Please know that I fully support the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

Doug Overbey

State Representative

201 War Memorial Building

Nashville, TN 37243-0120615/741-0981 -- phone615/253-0224 -- fax

800/449-TENN; ext. 10981

Guest looneeetunes

btw this is what i wrote. i am not the best writer so please forgive, but i got my point across i hope. i also gave my address i deleted it from here just not to give my info on the internet, but if anyone writes, i would put it in the email. i know from the town meetings i attend for my work it carries more weight if they know, in this case is someone who lives in tennessee and can vote there, and it shows that you do have a dog in this fight.

hi,

my name is chris brown i would like to ask for your help on passing hb2184. i am a registered voter,local government worker, married male age 35, with four kids. i got my permit with the sole intent of trying to protect myself and family, and my wife is currently in the process of getting her permit. last i have seen there are over 177,000 permit holders(not sure how many are voters but my guess a great many) in the state of Tennessee. we carry on the street, in the walmart, and everywhere law permits for sole purpose of protection. a local crime was committed here in Knoxville around about January, where a couple were carjacked and brutally murdered. i dont want this type of thing to happen to myself or any of my family, and i feel more safe going somewhere i can carry in public. take the park in Athens in the news just recently where they are having to add more security cameras, because of the things happening there (sexual predator was there, and a man exposing themself). can you tell me with all confidence we are safe to go there? carry permit holders are law abiding citizens who have background checks. the perpetrators carry weapons as well. in my eyes is it possible things like this may happen less if the perp thinks he could encounter a permit holder? right now he knows we abide by the law and dont carry in these areas he has free run. i know the police are busy and if something does happen it takes them a while to get to you sometimes. a little over a month ago i was at the walmart with one of my kids about 9:30 p.m wife calls said she has already called the police, someone tried to break thru the door. she ran to the safe got one of my guns and announced she had a weapon. the person ran off. walmart is approximately 8 miles from my home. i was towards the back of the store, came the eight miles home and beat the police here by about 7 to 8 minutes. help us protect ourselves. let this bill pass, crime wont increase and very likely could decrease. like i say i am a local government employee and we have 4 parks under our control. i know of several car break-ins, flashers, and just look at the sexual predator list in Knoxville and surrounding counties. i wonder if they are ever at the park? or other state owned properties covered under this bill? this is a plea for my family, and other law abiding citizens in the state of Tennessee, please work as hard as possible to pass HB 2184.

thank you for your time and consideration

chris brown

message sent to:

<TABLE class=bd cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.larry.miller@legislature.state.tn.us, </TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.john.hood@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.nathan.vaughn@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.joe.armstrong@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.stratton.bone@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.tommie.brown@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.frank.buck@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.glen.casada@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.charles.curtiss@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.lois.deberry@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.john.deberry@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.craig.fitzhugh@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.ulysses.jones@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.mike.kernell@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.mark.maddox@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.steve.mcdaniel@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.michael.mcdonald@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.jason.mumpower@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">speaker.jimmy.naifeh@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.gary.odom@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.doug.overbey@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.phillip.pinion@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.randy.rinks@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.leslie.winningham@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.rob.briley@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.kent.coleman@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.janis.sontany@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.eddie.bass@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.tom.dubois@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.henry.fincher@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.jon.lundberg@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.judd.matheny@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.eric.watson@legislature.state.tn.us</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=bd cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">FYI, Eddie Bass e-mailed that he will continue to support the bill. That's good news.</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

message sent to:

<TABLE class=bd cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.larry.miller@legislature.state.tn.us, </TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.john.hood@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.nathan.vaughn@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.joe.armstrong@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.stratton.bone@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.tommie.brown@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.frank.buck@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.glen.casada@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.charles.curtiss@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.lois.deberry@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.john.deberry@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.craig.fitzhugh@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.ulysses.jones@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.mike.kernell@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.mark.maddox@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.steve.mcdaniel@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.michael.mcdonald@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.jason.mumpower@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">speaker.jimmy.naifeh@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.gary.odom@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.doug.overbey@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.phillip.pinion@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.randy.rinks@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.leslie.winningham@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.rob.briley@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.kent.coleman@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.janis.sontany@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.eddie.bass@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.tom.dubois@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.henry.fincher@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.jon.lundberg@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.judd.matheny@legislature.state.tn.us,</TD><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR class=msgolds width="80%"><TD width="90%">rep.eric.watson@legislature.state.tn.us</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Here's my e-mail I just sent to the above reps.

Sir or Madam Representative:

As a citizen and voter, and carry permit holder in the State of Tennessee I would like to encourage you to support and vote on the passage of HB2184, the park carry bill. Permit holders are some of the most law abiding and responsible citizens in the state and realistically the is no reason for anyone to fear us carrying or keeping our handguns while visiting any state park in Tennessee. There is no difference with permit holders carrying in a park than it is while shopping in a Walmart, Kroger, or our local Mapco etc. Not only would citizen permit holders have the option to defend ourselves from criminal attacks to our life and health, but often we have had to pass up the opportunity to take a nice relaxing drive through a park on a weekend just because we had or handguns in our vehicles when we were out shopping ect. It seems that lately many have some false idea that permit holders are a bunch of cowboy yahoos by statements and opinions they have made, or decisions they have made. I and many other permit holders find this personally insulting and offensive. As I have said permit holders are some of the most law abiding and responsible citizens in the state who have undergone a very strict and extensive background check, not to forget the time and money we have donated to the state just to get our permits. Voting against this bill for one makes no sense and is also a slap in the face of law abiding, hard working, tax paying Tennesseans.

Again I strongly urge you to support and vote for passage of HB2184 and strongly encourage the Governor to sign it.

Thank You:

Jon

I also e-mailed my Rep Sunday night and actually got a response from him Sunday night. That's impressive to me, I'm glad I voted for him.

It has made it through the first few committees, but I believe will face some difficulty getting through the Calendar and Rules Committee to the House floor for a full vote. I will continue to do everything I can to help it along. It is a good bill.

Phillip Johnson

Now checking on the bill today this is what I found.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="90%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="35%">Actions Taken on HB2184

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="15%">Action Date

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width="35%">Actions Taken on SB2143

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="15%">Action Date

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE width="90%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="35%">Re-ref. to Finance, Ways and Means</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="15%">5/22/2007</TD><TD vAlign=top width="35%">R/S #83(8) to be heard in S. Jud. Comm. on 5/22/2007</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width="15%">5/17/2007</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="35%">Placed on cal. Calendar & Rules Committee for 05/22/2007</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE width="90%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="10%">HB2184 by Niceley</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="30%">JUDICIARY COMMITTEE:

Recommended for passage w/amendments- refer to: Calendar & Rules Committee </TD></TR><TR></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="20%">5/9/2007 </TD></TR><TR></TR><TR></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="50%"> Ayes................................................6</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="50%"> Noes................................................4</TD></TR><TR></TR><TR></TR><TR></TR><TR></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="50%"> Representatives voting aye were: Bass, DuBois, Fincher, Lundberg, Matheny, Watson -- 6.</TD></TR><TR></TR><TR></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="50%"> Representatives voting no were: Briley, Buck, Coleman, Sontany -- 4.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I thought Buck was a 2nd Amendment supporter. :)

Or is he just one of Naefeh's butt kissing cronies?