VISTA USERS

Guest c.a.s.

Fellow Vista Users, I will warn you of a glitch.

The newest update causes issues with certain hardware drivers (I haven't been able to pinpoint which one thanks to the crashing of Windows Explorer)

If you cannot access the internet, or if trying to open a file causes Windows Explorer to crash, go to control panel (I recommend setting it to classic view, but I just prefer it), and go to "backup and restore". There should be an option for using Windows Restore to return your computer to an earlier point. Click it, and then click "allow" to let it run. Once it starts, you get two options. One, the default one, is right before the latest driver or Windows update. Use that one, unless you want to pick at which point to restore to (if any points are created) Restore the system, which takes a bit of time, and you should be fine. If the system is still not working correctly, that wasn't the problem.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint
Try using Mozilla Firefox for your browser.

He's referring to Windows Explorer (utility to navigate the computer)... not Internet Explorer (web browser). :rofl:

Correct. I'm using Firefox right now. IE 7 sucks pretty bad.

Just noting that some hardware drivers are not compatible with some part of the latest update. They've been alerted, and I've turned off automatic update.

Guest mikedwood
Been using Winbloze since 3.x and have yet to ever have a problem with any of their updates.

You sir, could buy lottery tickets and spend the money before the drawing. Cause that is some real freakin luck right there.

Guest Verbal Kint
You sir, could buy lottery tickets and spend the money before the drawing. Cause that is some real freakin luck right there.

Not so much luck as building every PC myself and making sure I have the latest and best drivers for each component. Have several friends that have done the same, who have also never encountered any issues. :rolleyes:

Guest RISC777

Microsfot's XP Service Pack 3 was a total joke when it first was released. At the required re-start it became a constant cycle of splash screen, reboot, splash screen, reboot... Had to go to a restore point on that one. My habit is to only get notifications that updates are available, then pick and choose (like not updating to IE7). Also, I never, ever get a video driver from Microsoft's update service, that can be a really bad thing - always got to the chip manufacturer's site. IE7 sucks toe dirt. It's not a bad thing to once a month create a restore point, especially before a driver or application/program installing. And watch out for Vista 64-bit - there's no 32-bit backward compatibility, including 32-bit ActiveX. 64-bit machine + 64-bit Vista = *delete* *delete*

Edited by RISC777

Meh! Windows is for GUI lovers..

dr_evil_thumb.jpg

But seriously... for the record. I've never had a problem with windows updates... ever. The simple solution is to not put down your hardware drivers through windows update. Go to the manufacturers site. :rolleyes:

Guest Mugster

I assume thats SP1 for Vista? I saw it out there and decided to not install it. I'll wait a few months.

I'm a big unix/linux guy and I use it for real work and I really prefer it for development. But the office runs on doze, so I have to run that too. Running doze on a VM is nice...that way you can set it back to t0 and it never knows the difference.

I assume thats SP1 for Vista? I saw it out there and decided to not install it. I'll wait a few months.

I'm a big unix/linux guy and I use it for real work and I really prefer it for development. But the office runs on doze, so I have to run that too. Running doze on a VM is nice...that way you can set it back to t0 and it never knows the difference.

What are you using for a VM?

• Administrator

Unfortunately, I do high-level I.T. work all day during the week. I see a lot of stuff get really jacked up by people who thought they were going to fix a problem by following advice that they read on the Internet, or got from a friend, or read in a magazine, etc. Often it causes security holes that techs end up having to go back in behind the user's path of destruction and fix.

Obviously TGO is not a forum about computer repair. I would take anything read here with a grain or two of salt and not try any proposed fixes without researching the heck out of them first.

Remember, if you try a fix proposed by someone on the Internet, you're doing it at your own risk. Chances are that person isn't going to come to your rescue and fix your computer for you if it goes wrong.

And chances are they wouldn't come fix your problem for free anyway.

Caveat emptor.