WASR AK47 Laymans terms

chipperi

Since we are going to get Osama for Prez I think I am going to put the Playstation 3 I have been saving for on hold and get an AK Style Rifle. This way I will have an AR-15, SKS, And an AK.

Could someone educate me on the finer points and differences between, Chinese, Russian, Romanian, Hungarian...., WASR, AK, and other clones, etc. I want a traditional looking AK style rifle chambered in 7.62x39 It will fit in the safe nicely next to my Norinco SKS and my Colt H-Bar.

Edited by chipperi
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston

Here's a link to an earlier discussion on some of the various manufacturers and types

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=116242#post116242

WASR means "Wassenaar Arrangement" which is an organization of some 40 countries that controls and enforces a series of rules and regulations on exports.

The WASR is a semi auto variant of the Romanian AKM type(s). Romania began building fairly exact copies of the Russian AK in the late 1950's and switched to the AKM in the early-mid 1960's.

WASR10's were original manufactured to accept a single stack low capacity magazine during the AWB years. Later, many importers opened up the mag well to accept standard double stack mags. Much of this work done by companies like Century (the primary importer), is "spotty", to be nice, with frequent reports certain magazines not working (I bought and quickly returned one earlier this year where the magazines that came with the rifle had been modified to fit the poor inletting job and where the only 2 magazines on the planet that would fit).

The WASR 2 is basically a WASR 10 chambered in 5.45x39 and the WASR 3 is chambered in .223.

Reportedly the best WASR is the WASR 10/63. It is a Clone of their AKM varient but the only one reported to be built to "Military Spec" in semi auto.

Edited by gcrookston

In MY opinion, WASR's are for folks who have been working on/with AK's for some time. They are modified single stacks (ususally from Century Arms) which have at best spotty quality control.

It is not unusual to find a WASR with a warped/bent/misaligned gas tube, canted front sight, excessively hogged out mag well, etc. On occasion, in the ever present quest to put them out the door faster, they will cheat putting one together and not put the little cutout required to disassemble the rifle (put together in the "wrong" but funtional order allows this, but doesn't allow take down hence it's wrong).

I looked through 10 WASR's at a local shop and found exactly zero that were correctly put together. They would shoot, just not be exactly accurate and wouldn't likely shoot to point of aim with a remotely centered sight.

What is your price range? I am pretty sure if you look around you can still(not for long) find yourself a Norinco MAK-90 for between 350-500. I collect em by country.....my ranks would be Russian, Hungarian, Bulgarian, Polish, Chinese and then Yugo........Your Carnage May Vary

Here is a link to a site dedicated to the Kalashnikov:

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/index.php

Good Luck

If you're not ready to spend gobs of time trying to absorb all the various models and permutations brought on by the various gun laws over the years or don't have someone to say "buy that one", then absolutely buy a Saiga. I have never heard of an assembly or manufacturing problem with a Saiga. Hands down the best AK out there for the money. If only they would import them in 5.45.

Guest gcrookston
If you're not ready to spend gobs of time trying to absorb all the various models and permutations brought on by the various gun laws over the years or don't have someone to say "buy that one", then absolutely buy a Saiga. I have never heard of an assembly or manufacturing problem with a Saiga. Hands down the best AK out there for the money. If only they would import them in 5.45.

+1

Can the saiga accept all standard Hi cap Mags?

To meet 922r, the Saiga has to be modified to use standard AK hi-cap mags. Its a fairly easy conversion if you take your time.

There are now aftermarket Saiga hi-cap mags available, but they are pricey. By the time you buy a few of them, you end up paying more than the price to do the conversion.

Regardless of what you do, you can't go wrong with a Saiga.