Was breaking in a new ATI today and

Ron Padilla

I am really looking forward to carrying this gun, it did function just as you mentioned but with it being under warranty I'll let them fool wirh it, I just ordered another compact 911 and a 380 for the wife it will probably take me a week to get those then I'll fully decide which one I'll cary

I think that will be your best bet. You will also find out how good their customer support is. They should email you a shipping label and ship it on their dime. Magazines are always blamed for guns malfunctioning. If it won’t function with the magazine the manufacturer supplied; that’s a problem. If it’s a bad mag; let them deal with it. But if it’s the gun having a factory gunsmith go through it sure can’t hurt. If you get it back and it still does it; then you have problems.

Let us know how it turns out.

DaveTN makes a good point. I would only point out that the 1911 pattern guns seem to be more "magazine sensitive" than other guns. Personally, I would prefer to spend $25 or so for an extra magazine from a reputable maker like Chip McCormick or Wilson Combat, etc. and keep the gun in my possession and try to shoot it, and continue to break it in, as opposed to sending the gun into the manufacturer. I always hate shipping a brand new gun back. I've done it a few times, but it sure takes the fun out of a new gun.

Good luck getting it fixed and running soon. Edited by MphsTiger1981
  • Like 1
well I did ship it back today, so I figure that I will discover the quality of customer service support provided by ati, in the long run I know I will be buying more mags but the can look at it and fix some of the easier tasks
I'm betting it was the mag too. I bet the gun comes back a little nicer anyway. They'll at least polish the barrel. I think you did the right thing. A bet if more people sent them back, then they might deem it cost effective to use a better mag.

my guess is that it will come back with a new mag but of the same brand,  I hope they polish the ramp some and the barrel, time will tell and I will know shortly and thanks again to Dave for the heads up about registering the warranty info as they paid shipping.

So far so good shipped back on their dime on Monday got an email today that they received it today, hopefull they resolve all the problems that I brought.  Now that they have left N.Y. maybe their attitude will be a little better. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well the ATI is on its way back and should be here tomorrow, and from the short conversation I had with the CSR on the phone I dont think they did much.  They adjusted the rear sight and from the converstion I was able to gather that they used several mags to test for failure to lock back and it tested well well with their mags.  so I thin they are returning the same mag, it would also eject up and straight in my forehead area and dont think they realized or did anything about that.  they also commented on my using a lot of lub on the gun and that it would run better without so much, if that is all that took place then the only good that came out of it is that they paid shipping and only took 2 weeks. So if that is the case then I got what i thought I got a gun that I will have to go through and rebuild.  On another note I also bought a RIA that I have yet to fire but the quality in the build is liek night and day, so for comming out of the same factory it is ammazing what goes on and it isnt even a China build.

ATI & RIA do not come out of the same factory.... Both are Philippine made but the ATI comes from Shooters Arms Manf Inc and RIA comes out of the Armscor factory...

By chance are you a lefty? That would explain you getting smacked in the forehead....

Edited by teecro

Well the ATI is on its way back and should be here tomorrow, and from the short conversation I had with the CSR on the phone I dont think they did much. They adjusted the rear sight and from the converstion I was able to gather that they used several mags to test for failure to lock back and it tested well well with their mags. so I thin they are returning the same mag, it would also eject up and straight in my forehead area and dont think they realized or did anything about that. they also commented on my using a lot of lub on the gun and that it would run better without so much, if that is all that took place then the only good that came out of it is that they paid shipping and only took 2 weeks. So if that is the case then I got what i thought I got a gun that I will have to go through and rebuild. On another note I also bought a RIA that I have yet to fire but the quality in the build is liek night and day, so for comming out of the same factory it is ammazing what goes on and it isnt even a China build.

What two guns are from the same factory? ATI and RIA? Cause they are owned by two different companies and are not the same factory.

no not a lefty, but they came straight back hitting me in the head and not ejecting to the right like a person would expect them to,  and i either read or was told that even though that they are seperatly owned companies they are made in the same plant. the last part might not be accurate but not uncommen when dealing with something made in the pacific rim or china, I know of 2 well known welder manufactoring companies that sell welders that come out of the same factory look identicle but some of the innerds are different, the President of one of the companies even admitted it to me but try justifing it by saying that better parts were used in their welders Vs the competition and off of different lines in the same plant.  so it wouldnt again suprise me if works that way, that allows them to keep prices down for one maker and the other maker claiming that the the parts they use are better justifing a higher price. and yes ATI RIA and if you look athe mags they use they are the same maker

Ok, replace the extractor and the firing pin stop. Buy Ed Brown brand for both. DO NOT mix and match brands because they do not play well together. I have used various brands over the years and they all do OK but the Ed Brown products have always been top notch.

What happens is the factory extractor is not fitting tightly into the firing pin stop. This allows the extractor to "clock" and turn slightly. This causes the empties to eject all over the place and sometimes hit you in the head. It also causes the other problems you describe. The factory extractor is probably not cut correctly and is very loose. There is no amount of tweaking that will make the fix permanent with the factory extractor.

The extractor and firing pin stop are drop in replacements and should not require any tuning. I will say it is a little bit of a pain in the butt to install because they fit so tightly together. But once installed your gun will run so much better. I would also suggest picking up a 16 pound recoil spring and replacing the factory spring of unknown quality. I know it sucks to spend money on a brand new gun but having a reliable gun is worth it.

no not a lefty, but they came straight back hitting me in the head and not ejecting to the right like a person would expect them to,  and i either read or was told that even though that they are seperatly owned companies they are made in the same plant. the last part might not be accurate but not uncommen when dealing with something made in the pacific rim or china, I know of 2 well known welder manufactoring companies that sell welders that come out of the same factory look identicle but some of the innerds are different, the President of one of the companies even admitted it to me but try justifing it by saying that better parts were used in their welders Vs the competition and off of different lines in the same plant.  so it wouldnt again suprise me if works that way, that allows them to keep prices down for one maker and the other maker claiming that the the parts they use are better justifing a higher price. and yes ATI RIA and if you look athe mags they use they are the same maker

Understood but I've been done this road before and was educated by those who knew much more than I ATI & RIA are from completely differing factory; different ends of the island I think...

RIA will also supply mags from Megar (spell?) too depending on caliber etc.

As to getting beamed that is an extractor adjustment but I'm not skilled enough to tell you want needs to be done even though it is at best a 5 minute fix....

A local shop has some RIA 9mm Tacticsl models for $399 that I am really digging. They have 5", 4.25" and "compact" models.

I'd love to see what one of these would be like after going thru your "tinkering and accurizing." Probably awesome!

Good price on the Tactical models. I'd have a hard time resisting if I were there.

And have a hard choice to make. I'd really like the little "compact" model, just for the looks of it.

Realistically, probably the 4.25 is about as short as I'd go for in it though.