My first AR

DavidD

After my buddy Jim got his Bushmaster from Phillip at Goodlettsville Gunshop a month or so ago, I have been going nuts wanting one myself. Because of the slight savings and sheer fun of it, I decided I was going to build it from a stripped lower up. So I saved my money and on Wednesday, depressed from the Obamanation, convinced my buddy to take the day off and make a trip to Winchester and see Joe at Hero Gear. Well, once I got there and met Joe in person (I had been there before and bought a S&W 1911 from Dan) I told him my plan. He showed me a stripped lower and began the education. About 30 minutes into it, covering all of the various components and options, Joe shows me a completed CMMG lower (had never heard of them but what do I know) and offers it to me for what I believe is one heck of a deal. I reminded Joe of my plan to build it for the fun factor and he convinces me that for this price, I should just take the damn thing apart and reassemble it. Anyway, on to upper parts. I told him that I really had been eyeing the YHM (Yankee Hill) barrels and fore-grips, wanted a flat top with flip up sights. Lo and behold, he produces a fully assembled upper, YHM model 7100, the exact one I had picked out on YHM's website, diamond barrel and all. So I'm thinking, rather than having to wait, I could essentially have a working AR right now. After Joe quoted me the final price, I was convinced. Now my buddy that came with me had been eyeing a DPMS 6.8 SPC the whole time. Dan and Joe did a little enticing and Jim decided he too would take advantage of a "Hero Deal." We left smiling and headed to buy some of the $1.93/gallon gas and headed back to Nashville. Thanks Joe! We're headed to the Stones River Range after lunch today.

IMG_3287.jpg

DavesnewARStanding.jpg

Edited by DavidD
Changed link to pictures
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint
Nobody told me it was skip work and go to hero-gear day... you sand baggin sons of bitches...

Get with the new program, man... everyone gets paid for not working now, thanks to Obama!

Thanks All.

Very nice congrats on the purchase. What time you gonna be at Stones River? I thought about heading out there myself today.

Sorry man, we left around 1:00. Put 100 rounds through it. I was shooting the cheapest russian $5 per box .223 ammo you can buy at Acedemy (Note to self, you get what you pay for).

Get with the new program, man... everyone gets paid for not working now, thanks to Obama!

Right on! I figured since he was elected, why work? :)

Edited by DavidD
Guest gcrookston

Oh so you're the guy that bought the other one. I was looking for that Thursday for my next build and had to settle on a S&W 44 magnum instead.... Congrats!

Guest Bronker
Thanks All.

Sorry man, we left around 1:00. Put 100 rounds through it. I was shooting the cheapest russian $5 per box .223 ammo you can buy at Acedemy (Note to self, you get what you pay for

Curious...what was wrong with the ammo? Malfunctions? Dirty? Curious, as I have about 300 rounds of it, and haven't got to fire any yet...

I went yesterday and picked up my first AR. Joe and them did me right on my Trade. Now all I have to do is get rid of 900rds of 7.62x39 so I can stock up for my new baby. Hero Gear has won a lifetime customer. Now its time to accessorize.

Congrats Mudbugjr, welcome to the dark side. :)

Curious...what was wrong with the ammo? Malfunctions? Dirty? Curious, as I have about 300 rounds of it, and haven't got to fire any yet...

I didn't have any problems with the ammo functioning but it was very dirty and left little red flakes all over the face of the bolt. The next grade up of Monarch has brass cases and seemed to burn a little cleaner in my opinion and it's only a couple bucks more.

Guest Bronker
Congrats Mudbugjr, welcome to the dark side. :)

I didn't have any problems with the ammo functioning but it was very dirty and left little red flakes all over the face of the bolt. The next grade up of Monarch has brass cases and seemed to burn a little cleaner in my opinion and it's only a couple bucks more.

Thanks, David!

Thanks. I definitly know what you mean . Its consuming me right now. Well at least thats what my wife says.

Yes, my wife says the same thing. I remind her that my guns will ALWAYS be worth more than her Purses if the need to sell ever arose. :)