Real Schrade Sharpfinger vs. Taylor made Schrade

One of my favorite knife designs - just for 'looking at' even more than for actually using - is the 'sharpfinger' style of upswept skinner and the Schrade Old Timer version was always a favorite of the style.  When I was a kid, my maternal grandfather had a couple of them and something about those knives always fascinated me.  It certainly wasn't the blade size - there are pocket knives with bigger blades.  It was more the blade shape - the way it swept up and down along the spine and edge of the blade.  They almost looked more like something out of a fantasy story or movie than a real life kniife.  In fact, although that was long before the most recent Lord of the Rings movies came out, the sweeping lines of the elvin blades in those movies are, to me, very reminiscent of the sharpfinger style.

Because I was a 'fan', back in the early 2000's when I heard that Schrade was closing, I went out and bought a couple of the Old Timer Sharpfingers since I figured it would be my last chance to buy any.  Later, when I heard that another company had bought the Schrade name and was going to keep many of their designs in production I was glad since not only was I a fan of their sharpfinger but their Old Timer folders were also favorites of mine.  I became a little disappointed when I heard that the new knives would not be made of high carbon steel but would be stainless, instead.  I was even more disappointed when I bought one of the 'new' Schrade knives (not one of their more traditional styles but, instead, kind of a 'tactical' folder) and realized that it was absolute junk.  Disgusted, I refused to buy any of the China Schrade knives for years but would check flea markets, etc. in hopes of finding 'real' Schrades (I actually managed to buy a Schrade U.S.A. Old Timer three blade folder new in the box as recently as about three years ago at a flea market for not a bad price.)  Well, the other day I was at Academy and noticed they had some Old Timer Sharpfingers in bubble packs hanging on the rack in their knife aisle with a price of $19.99.  My curiosity got the best of me and I bought one.  I decided to do a side by side 'initial impressions' comparison with my real, USA made Old Timer Sharpfinger.

At first glance, especially in their respective sheaths, they look like pretty much the same knife.  However, I could already tell that the leather used in the USA made knife felt like stronger, better quality material (the USA knife is on top.)

IMG_20150429_101607.jpg

One difference that can be seen without unsheathing the knives is that the fonts used for the 'Old Timer' name plate on the handles are different.  Not really something that impacts knife usage or quality, just a detail I noticed.

Original:

IMG_20150429_101548.jpg

Taylor made:

IMG_20150429_101528.jpg

It is when the blades come out of the sheaths, however, that the differences become more obvious.  For one thing, the Taylor version doesn't sheath or unsheath as smoothly and easily as the original.  Of course, this could just be specific to my examples of each.  Things that are likely not specific to just these, two knives, however, are quite noticeable differences in the blades, themselves.  In fact, even apart from likely using different metals, I would say that the blades are different enough that the original Old Timer Sharpfinger and the Taylor version aren't really the same knife, exactly.

First, notice that the original has an upsweep near the base of the blade on the edge side which the Taylor version doesn't have.  There are also slight differences in the treatment of the thumb 'bump' and the spine of the original seems to have a deeper 'sweep' along the spine.  The area where the bevel terminates is much more pronounced on the Taylor version.  Overall, the blade of the original is not as wide as the blade of the Taylor.  Before anyone suggests it, no, this is not due to sharpening of the original over the years.  I have really only sharpened the original enough to get the bevel/edge I want.  Honestly, it has only seen whetstones once or twice since I have had it.  I rarely use or carry it since it is my only example of the original Old Timer Sharpfinger (I had two but am not sure where the other is at the moment) so it hasn't been worn/ground down - the blades are simply shaped a little differently.  The blade on the original is also a little longer (although the length of the actual cutting surfaces may not be that much different - more on that, below.)  Overall, the original looks much more 'graceful', to me, and is just more aesthetically pleasing than the Taylor version.  The Taylor version retains enough of the original design to still look 'good', to me but when put next to the original it looks flawed, to my eye and just doesn't 'grab' me like the original.

IMG_20150429_101512.jpg

IMG_20150429_101322.jpg

Notice that the information stamped at the base of the respective blades is also different.  The original has Schrade USA and 152 (which I assume is the model number) where the Taylor simply has Schrade stamped in much larger letters.  On the other side, the Taylor has 1520 stamped (I guess they added the 0 at the end to update the model number for their version.)  There doesn't seem to be a country of origin stamped anywhere on the Taylor version.

Along the spine, although possibly not obvious from this picture, the Taylor version appears (at least to my eye) to be a little thicker but not markedly so.

IMG_20150429_101430.jpg

When the blade is flipped edge up, however, another major difference is noticeable.  The ricasso on the Taylor version is thicker and ends more abruptly but the unsharpened ricasso on the original is much longer.  That is the reason I said, above, that the actual cutting surface is probably pretty close between the two even though the blade of the original is a little longer.

IMG_20150429_101308.jpg

The Delrin scales are pretty comparable but some minor differences in the shape of the knife make the original feel slightly more comfortable in my hand.  Not that the Taylor version feels bad or anything just that the original feels better.

I do think that the Taylor Schrade knives have improved in quality over the years.  I was very pleasantly surprised that the Taylor Sharpfinger came shaving sharp right out of the box -er - blister pack.  When it comes time to sharpen, I will probably convex the edge but for now I will leave it as is.  I will probably buy a couple more of the Taylors here and there to carry , occasionally, so my original can stay safe at home.  I have also been going back and forth on buying one of the Taylor made big brothers to the Sharpfinger.  I think it is called the Deerslayer or something along those lines.  I will probably pick one of those up at some point, too, based on my impressions of the Taylor Sharpfinger.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

How do they compare in terms of edge holding?

I just bought the Taylor version right before I did the write up so I can't really say, yet.  It came suitably sharp out of the box blister pack so I have left the factory edge alone until it needs to be sharpened.  When it does, I will convex the edge like I did on my Schrade USA version.  That should make for a better comparison.  I honestly haven't carried/used the old one all that much as I want to 'hang on to it' since there is no Schrade USA, anymore.  The Taylor one will probably see more use but  I'll have to spend some more time with it before I can say much about edge retention.

Edited by JAB