Best Truck for The Money

Grunt81

Point made on the Taco. There's a lot of fans of them, as this thread proves. I didn't know they were as popular in Tennessee, as they are in California. Any given day, I am likely to see 3x as many Tacos as all other truck makes combined.

A good friend of mine bought a 2007 Crew Cab Tacoma for a work vehicle. He paid $18K last year and it had around 70,000 miles on it. He loves it and won't be getting rid of it anytime soon.

If American made trucks suck so much and are "truck-like" vehicles, let's hear some horror stories to back that up. Who has had pesky issues long before they were due? I've heard of a GMC Sierra 3500 diesel going for 600,000 miles. But that's more truck than I'll ever need. 

A recent reputable car reviewer (forgot the name but can be found on YouTube) ranked the redesigned 2015 Chevy Colorado ahead of the 2015 Tacoma. Although I will say, Tacomas are getting a makeover under the hood and outside for 2016. The rankings and reviews should be interesting. If I were to buy a new truck, it'd be between those two. As of right now, I have nothing to tow so even an El Camino would work for what I need it for. That could change later, in which case I will probably only consider a full size. By the way, Ram Trucks have vowed to lead the market in fuel economy.

Some have asked me why I even want a truck in the first place. The best answer I give them is to be able to load up the bed with stuff I don't want inside my SUV with seats folded down. In example, a deer carcass or a scoop of 50/50 manure/ wood chips. I'd probably never need a 5th wheel either. If I were to stop tent camping, then a pop up camper would be a logical choice. Hopes this gives a good idea of my needs/wants.

As of now, a post 1998 Ford Ranger is first on my list, unless there's a smoking deal on a full size that negates the difference in fuel economy. 

Edited by Grunt81

STOP IT :stir:

biggrin.gif I can’t help it; I read “You simply cannot beat them for quality. Period. End of story.” And J.D. Power was named as a source, so I decided to look.

Someone at J.D. Power apparently didn’t get the memo.... Period, end of story.

Top-Rated 2014 Trucks: Performance & Design
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 full size
2014 Ford F-150 full size
2014 Ford F-Series Super Duty full size
2014 GMC Sierra 1500 full size
2014 Honda Ridgeline mid size
2014 Nissan Frontier mid size

Top-Rated 2014 Trucks: Initial Quality
2014 Chevrolet Silverado HD; 5 out of 5 Full size
2014 Ford F-150; 5 out of 5 Full size
2014 GMC Sierra HD; 5 out of 5 Full size
2014 Toyota Tundra; 4.5 out of 5 Full size
2014 Ford F-Series Super Duty; 4 out of 5 Full size

2015 Vehicle Dependability Study:
2012 GMC Sierra 1500; 5 out of 5 Full size
2012 Honda Ridgeline; 5 out of 5 Midsize
2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500; 4.5 out of 5 Full size
2012 Ram 1500; 4.5 out of 5 Full size
2012 Chevrolet Avalanche; 4 out of 5 Full size
2012 Chevrolet Silverado HD; 4 out of 5 Full size
2012 Nissan Frontier; 4 out of 5 Midsize
2012 Toyota Tacoma; 4 out of 5 Midsize

Here's another question for you all fine folks. How are diesel prices out there? Higher or lower than 87 octane? In Cali, diesel tends to be around 20 cents higher than 91 octane more often than not.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/most-reliable-car-companies-1.aspx

Toyota ranked #2, behind Hyundai. Rating based on average repair costs for specific repairs.

http://www.mojomotors.com/review/most-reliable-car-brands/

Toyota ranked #1. Rating based on resale value based on mileage of vehicle.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2014/04/who-makes-the-best-cars/index.htm

Lexus (Toyota's luxury brand) ranked #1. 7 out of the top 8 brands were Japanese brands.

Etc. etc. etc.

Toyota rules. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Studies mean nothing to me.  I see cars and trucks all day, everyday.   I listen to what my customers complain about and what they are happy about.  Never..not even ONCE have I heard 

"This Toyota is a  :poop: !  Wish I had never bought it!"  

I hear that a LOT from GM and maybe just a little with Dodge.  Rarely Ford.  

All the mechanics that trade with me drive Toyota and Nissan.  One sure fire way to KNOW what is good, watch professional mechanics.  They know what they see and they will buy what they DON'T have to work on.  

Toyota's major fault is the price.  They are VERY proud of their stuff new and their trucks demand a premium in the used market.  If they were to cut their sale price and maintain their current level of quality......well, wish in one hand  :poop: in the other.   

Edited by Caster
  • Like 1

Studies mean nothing to me.  I see cars and trucks all day, everyday.   I listen to what my customers complain about and what they are happy about.  Never..not even ONCE have I heard 
"This Toyota is a  :poop: !  Wish I had never bought it!"  

I hear that a LOT from GM and maybe just a little with Dodge.  Rarely Ford.  
All the mechanics that trade with me drive Toyota and Nissan.  One sure fire way to KNOW what is good, watch professional mechanics.  They know what they see and they will buy what they DON'T have to work on.  

Toyota's major fault is the price.  They are VERY proud of their stuff new and their trucks demand a premium in the used market.  If they were to cut their sale price and maintain their current level of quality......well, wish in one hand  :poop: in the other.

I have heard that as well. When I bought my Tundra though, I was shopping between it and Ford F150s. I couldn't find an F150 with the features my Tundra has anywhere nearly as cheap as my Tundra. At the time I was looking at trucks in the 2 year old range (this was in 2010, and I my Tundra is an '08). As with all things car related, YMMV, pun intended.

We get it your devoted Toyota owners, we can't all be perfect!! Show them off I need some new garage wall art..

Might as well be a Glock v. 1911 thread, eh? Maybe somebody could do something different and start a caliber wars thread. That would change things up around here. :D