MCTS Indoors - Nashville Armory

MCTS Indoors - Nashville Armory

1st Tuesday - Run n Gun (USPSA like)
2nd Tuesday - IDPA
3rd Tuesday - Run n Gun (USPSA like)
4th Tuesday - IDPA
5th - Tuesday ---- alternative

MCTS members get employee pricing.

Ok, so I did get a response from Sean Rumaner stating that for Nashville Armory it was a business decision. Sure thing, makes sense. If Michael has sold them that they will make more money going with him than David and Mick then sure thing. I do wonder how that all played out though. Who approached whom? 

I am a little surprised at the same time since Michael used to bash NA for their pricing. But he still shot most of the time so no big deal. 

What gets me though is the antipathy and rudeness exhibited by Michael at my questions. As Daniel posted above, Michael's response to me was, "I don't know what you think you are "entitled" to. Nothing really has to be explained."

My response, "Gotcha, you don't feel that we deserve to know why you are suddenly running things when last week it was David and Mick. And why the attitude about beng asked? Funny thing, when someone avoids a question, and next gets an attitude about it I can't help but wonder why."

Michael's response, "One of my stipulations is David will continue to get free matches. Not avoiding it, personally I don't think it is of your business as a non member of MCTS. If NA would like to discuss, they certainly have that option."

My last response, "Ok, so NA decided to make a change. Got it. I'm sure the selling point is Michael will bring in more revenue. I'm a bit surprised at the lack of notice on it, not what I would consider well handled. And it is none of my business because I am not an MCTS member? Really? So, even though I have been shooting your matches for several years now, and shooting at NA fairly regularly, it is somehow not right for me to ask a question? So nobody that is not an MCTS member matters to you? Good call."

That's my last post, because Michael kicked my from the TN Competitive Shooters page on Facebook. I guess I should have been a good non-MCTS member and not questioned anything. 

Just remember folks, you have no right to ask a simple question. Join and conform or out you go. 

NA wanted to shoot different disciplines on a weekly basis and start earlier. More shooting matches is a bad thing I guess. What was said in the meeting between NA and David/Mick, it is non of my business and did not ask. To lessen the butt hurt that may follow, I did request and it was approved for David to continue to receive free matches. I honestly forgot about asking for Mick. Did I have to do this, no but thought it was right.

What isn't tolerated on that FB page is negativity nor inappropriate material to offend the ladies and kids on that page.

Nope, more matches are a good thing. But, how things are handled is important and trying to play hot potato with the range over it is juvenile. 

So now my asking questions is not only not my business but is inappropriate? Nicely handled again. 

Sweet, I knew there would finally be a topic on here that is none of my business but that I would have to chime in on. First off, to my knowledge, I have never met Mr. Martin but I have met Mr. Bresson. Here's my take of him. He is a very passionate and competitive guy with a lot of drive and ambition. If he wants to control every match in TN and sets his sights on it he probably will. I will start shooting the NA matches as much as I can. MCTS always put on very good matches. As far as what business it is of the general public to know what deals were made, well its zero. I sold a business to a competitor about 5 years ago and the details are known by just the ones at that table. Employees from both sides don't even have privilage to that info let alone the customers I had. I know selling a business is somewhat different than taking over a match so let me use another example. Say you have been eating at the same restaurant for the past 3 or 4 years and you walk in tomorrow and there is a sign that says UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT. Do you feel you should be able to walk in and demand to know the details?
I think it's just juvenile to air this out on the internet. If you don't like it don't go. Edited by toby1304
  • Like 2

Haha yes, sometimes it is fun to chime in on stuff, though if you are a competitive shooter in middle TN I think it is fair to say this is your business. I suppose we have not met though. But no worries. 

That said, yep Michael is very competitive and driven. And he runs some really good matches. He is an amazing stage designer. And, he has taught me a ton about IDPA and other shooting. And, I have considered him to be a very good friend for many years. 

That being said, I do believe he wants to control every single match in the local area, hell, he has said so. AND THAT IS A BAD THING! 

Now, I am not asking what the details are. In fact I have gotten enough of an answer from the armory as to why they are doing it. So your analogies are not accurate. Because yes, if I had done business with someone for a while and they made a big change I can certainly ask why, not details, but why. And if I smelled something rotten I can take my business elsewhere. 

As to this case, I know enough to know that the handling has not been great, but that is on NA's head. 

At this point my issue is as a local competitor and IDPA member. I asked a legit question. "What happened to the other guys?" I was ignored, and then treated rudely for asking again. And then told that my opinion does not matter as I am not an MCTS member. And kicked from the Facebook group for daring to ask the questions. 

So here is an analogy that fits. You belong to a group that goes to eat at a certain restaurant every other week. You go in on your normal day, with your friends, and learn that the old chef is gone. You ask where the old chef went but they ignore you (no worries because you were curious about what happened, he was an old friend and you wanted to make sure he was ok), and you are also told that because you are not a member of the new chef's plate-of-the-day club that you have no right to ask anything about anything. Take what you are given and shut up. 

How are you feeling right now?

Here is the thing, I can ask the questions and even if I am told to not worry about it I should be able to expect it to be handled professionally and with courtesy. Didn't happen. And the escalation wouldn't happen without the rudeness. Funny how that happens. 

In this case think of it like an online review. It is a service industry, so knowing things about it are important. So yes, this being on the interwebs is a good thing. It's only juvenile once we invoke Godwin's law. 

So, same question as I asked on Facebook. Why are you running these? Why aren't David and Mick running matches at Nashville Armory?

What the hell is going on here?

This is what I saw. Doesn't look like an old friend that's concerned about his chef buddy.

Forgot how much I hate the politics of idpa......
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely! Good reason to only focus on our club and members. Let everyone else worry about their own stuff and let unnecessary chatter fall on deaf ears.

Not concerned about Chef David and his assistant Mick? 

Ok.

There you go putting words in my mouth. I'm starting to see a trend.

Let's use your analogy from your previous post and add in your original one.
Here's what it comes off sounding like to me.
Why are you cooking my food? Why isn't the old chef cooking my food? What the hell is going on here?
To me that sounds like someone demanding answers. That's just my opinion. I'm sure we will bump into each other eventually and I'm sure we will get along great but if Michael says he wants to control every match in Tennessee more power to him.

Dont bring IDPA into this.

Politics in IDPA will get you killed on the streets. 

What I mean by "politics" is what's going on in this thread.  Angry members, public demands for answers.  Alliances and rivialies.  I look forward to meeting everyone sometime this month.....I hope this isn't what I have to look forward to at the match. 

• Like 1

Guys,

I am totally neutral on this issue as I have never shot with any of your clubs, groups, or public matches of any kind. I have no affiliation with any of you nor with Nashville Armory. So far in my life I have done all of my shooting on private land, private clubs, and setup my own matches and games for friends. As a veteran instructor with 7 certifications, I have taught hundreds of new shooters including folks from age 8 to 82, different ethnic backgrounds, races, countries, and varying skill levels from physically handicapped to advanced military and LEO shooters.

When I saw the first post in this thread I subscribed to it, intending only to watch it and perhaps learn a bit more about the types of competitive shooting which are going on locally, and in particular at the Nashville Armory, primarily because I have been mentoring a few teens for several years and they are just now graduating from my program and shipping out to special forces careers in the Air Force and Navy. So while I have done a lot to teach them to shoot, gunsmith, compete, and even become some of the youngest certified instructors in the nation, I was considering bringing them down to Nashville Armory or a similar local club to get the experience of shooting and competing with a wider audience of the general public, much like they will soon be doing in the service.

After seeing some of the responses in this thread, I want to let you know that this bickering does not reflect positively on any of the participants, their clubs, or the facility as a whole, so I will avoid bringing those kids down (or referring my other students) if this is the kind of atmosphere they can expect at such events.

I am sure everyone in this thread (and every TGO member) is a nice, decent person with good intent, yet none of us are perfect either. For anyone with grievances, complaints, or issues: my suggestion would be for you to meet with each other and/or Nashville Armory in person to discuss and resolve, ideally in private, and to be professional and supportive, also flexible and open to bend a little. That would go a long way to preserving and growing our shooting sports, rather than turning folks off and encouraging them to continue shooting elsewhere.

Just my $0.02 which I know was unnecessary and likely unwanted, but as a person that had been looking to invest and steer others to your cause, I felt compelled to let you know how it looks from the sidelines. Best of luck to all of you in finding a resolution and continuing to enjoy what you are passionate about.

Edited by wileecoyote
  • Like 2

There you go putting words in my mouth. I'm starting to see a trend.

Let's use your analogy from your previous post and add in your original one.
Here's what it comes off sounding like to me.
Why are you cooking my food? Why isn't the old chef cooking my food? What the hell is going on here?
To me that sounds like someone demanding answers. That's just my opinion. I'm sure we will bump into each other eventually and I'm sure we will get along great but if Michael says he wants to control every match in Tennessee more power to him.

Wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. Just stating who I consider to be the old chef.

Yep, totally demanding answers. And even got them. Don't have to like the answer from NA to accept it. No worries.

I was shocked and upset by it because David and Mick are great guys and did a great job.

But, Michael's assertion that my opinion means nothing because I am not an MCTS member is very upsetting. Because I AM impacted by this, and to be marginalized after I have supported him for years is infuriating.

What I mean by "politics" is what's going on in this thread. Angry members, public demands for answers. Alliances and rivialies. I look forward to meeting everyone sometime this month.....I hope this isn't what I have to look forward to at the match.

I knew what you meant. My reply was tongue in cheek really.

The thing is, we are a pretty small community, and like all small groups there are times when people get frustrated with others. But it is how we work through those things that defines how we grow. There is always a way to defuse things, but if you want to guarantee it blows up even more try and marginalize a person or silence them without true discourse. Because then it festers.

Just my $0.02 which I know was unnecessary and likely unwanted, but as a person that had been looking to invest and steer others to your cause, I felt compelled to let you know how it looks from the sidelines. Best of luck to all of you in finding a resolution and continuing to enjoy what you are passionate about.

Thank you for your perspective. You make excellent points.

On that note, I'm done.

Michael, you can choose to call me or not. I leave it up to you. I won't post on this again.