State Asking for Social Security Number

I have question that maybe some of y'all might be familiar with.  Namely, what laws govern whether the state of Tennessee can require a Social Security Number?

Here are the specifics:  I hold a Tennessee veterinary license.  I, along with several thousand other people of various licensed occupations in Tennessee, must pay a $400 privilege tax to the state each June.  This is different from the license fee.  Last year, the state required everyone to file the tax online with no other option to pay.  They also made it so that you could given them checking account information and pay $400, or use a credit card and pay an additional 2.49%.  

This year, as I went to pay the onerous tax, the webform asked for my SSN in addition to name, address, license number, etc.  It would not take the information without the SSN.  The state already has my SSN on file with various other personal information, so I do not see why they would need it again.  It seems like they should just be able to use the license number, since that is unique to each licensee.  I tried leaving the form blank, using all zeroes, X's, etc, but it won't accept it.  I take that to mean that they already have the number.

I'm more than a little leery of putting my SSN into some government computer that doesn't really need it, and also associating my checking account with that information.  To add to my unease, here is a quote from their Privacy Statement:

Based on the definition of public records, be aware that any information collected at this site could be made available to the public. Requests for public records will be examined for compliance with public record laws.

So is there some law somewhere that would prohibit the Department of Revenue from requiring my SSN for this particular function?  I have a vague notion about a law somewhere that SSN are only to be used by either the SS Administration or the federal government in general, but that could be some urban legend.  I know that is not actually the reality, since everyone asks for it.

I realize at this point that there is nothing I can do about it, since the tax is due June 1, but if anyone can offer any ammunition to use when I try to contact the dipwads in charge, I would appreciate it.  At this point it is the principal.  Maybe I am paranoid, but I would rather limit the number of online places to which I give my number (preferably 0).  

• Like 1

What's really bazaar with state and federal data bases is they don't always cross populate so one agency wanting your SSN for ID or tax purposes can only get it my asking you. Its all about their connivance and's become and institutional mind set. It gets really interesting when you call them out on it or explain the aren't supposed to photo copy your DL either. While not necessarily government institutions hospitals are the worst on this, followed by Doctor's offices. Getting back to the original question a lot of the forms you are requested to fill out are made from a template or by some contractor who just think's the SSN should be there because its a legal ID, which legally it isn't. Odd isn't it.     

• Like 1
I still have the original card I got when I turned 16 (1969) and it states "For SS only and not to be used for ID purposes" or something to that effect. The law changed at some point and that statement disappeared. It's not on SS cards anymore and it seems now that everyone wants it for everything, even though we're warned the dangers of it being stolen and how important it is to protect it at the same time. It's ridiculous is what it is.
  • Like 1

Dawgdoc I have the same issues and frustration.  There's to many government and private data bases with the potential for questionable security being filled with personal information.  I'll be ### if I'm linking my SS and bank account numbers for them.  I don't like paying another $9.50 to send them $400 because the State of Tennessee is too  _____ (you fill in the blank) to get off theirs and conduct business like the rest of the people in Tennessee.

Apparently it's not just with the Professional "Privilege" tax.  My wife works in a municipal office and tells me that now they are required by the State to put a SS# on all business license applications.

My own research meshes with the links in DaveTN's links.  Basically, if a state agency asks for a SSN, they are supposed to tell you whether it is voluntary or required, and tell you what they do with it, and what law gives them the authority.  Apparently tax authorities are required to request your SSN as proof of who you are, but they are still supposed to give the referenced information.  At a minimum, the state has failed to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

So I called the Department of Revenue and explained that I didn't feel comfortable putting my SSN into the website.  To my surprise, she immediately explained how I could get a waiver from using the website.  She said that I could fax the waiver and mail a check on the same day.  I gave it a few days after faxing the waiver request to see if anyone would call or email.  No one did, so I sent a check the old-fashioned way.

I assume by the fact that they have a process set up for bypassing the website that maybe other people have had the same issue.  We'll see if I have any problems.

I saw that my tax money is going to good use helping to pay for the new hideous state logo; I'm glad the government is being such a good steward of our money.

• Like 1

I still have the original card I got when I turned 16 (1969) and it states "For SS only and not to be used for ID purposes" or something to that effect. The law changed at some point and that statement disappeared. It's not on SS cards anymore and it seems now that everyone wants it for everything, even though we're warned the dangers of it being stolen and how important it is to protect it at the same time. It's ridiculous is what it is.

1. Social Security cards printed from January 1946 until January 1972 expressly stated that people should not use the number and card for identification. Since nearly everyone in the United States now has a SSN, it became convenient to use it anyway and the message was removed.