Go to the walmarts and buy 2 or 3 of the cheap pool mattresses/floats/whatever they're called. That'll get you and your gear across a body of water. They're light and cheap. Pretty durable too. I used one as a camp pad most of one summer and it held up for several months.
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
I have an REI Traverse 30 daypack that I regularly use as a hiking backpack. It's a backpack with an internal frame, sort of like a mix between a traditional backpack and a large hiking pack. It's black so it doesn't scream "tactical" should I need it in a SHTF situation. I keep a wide variety of items in it and I can pick and choose what I need to carry depending on the length of my trip, the weather, etc. Some items include:
- a small Primue hiking gas stove
- a variety of fire starting options
- a couple of freeze dried meals
- a Katadyn Hikerpro water filter
- a titanium cup with lid for cooking and a titanium spork
- a lightweight poncho
- a Frontier Pro water filter (similar to a Lifestraw, but can be attached to a water heater outlet valve and a 2 liter bottle),
- plenty of water treatment tablets
- a SOL survival bivvy
- lightweight cathole shovel
- foam earplugs (think 9/11 and all those alarms from buildings and cars going off)
- 1liter collapsible Platypus water bottle (can be attached to the Frontier Pro filter)
- snap light
- mosquito headnet
- small first aid kit
- compass
- bug spray
- solar/crank emergency weather radio
- small Streamlight flashlight

I also keep raingear, a high-quality camp axe, a military entrenching tool, an ENO hammock, larger first aid/trauma kit, and some other stuff tucked away in my car. Should I need it, I can pick and choose what I think I need to carry and head out. I figure having more than what I need available is the best option. When picking items to buy, I go for quality first and lightweight a close second. Edited by East_TN_Patriot

good thread

regarding the pocket stove.

i've built and used them for years. fun to build and easy.  

if you don't have time or you are all thumbs, buy them on ebay all day long for cheep.

there are a few commercial version that are very rugged and light if you are in a big hurry (tranga, amazon, $15, PRIME is one example)

a few things you might want to be aware of and consider.

the flame can be invisible (depending on the fuel) and you may not know it's going, and you can get burned.  be careful

they will not run if sat on very cold ground/very cold wet ground/snow.  they must have something to insulate the stove body, (piece of bark/rock/whatever) as noted above, so evaporative combustion can work.  

for fuel, HEET (yellow bottle) as mentioned is great.  (methyl alcohol)  (red HEET is very smoky and sooty and does not burn as hot as yellow)

SLX denatured alcohol available in gallon jugs at ACE, (ethyl/methanol blend)

I am playing with Everclear or PGA (pure grain alcohol) as an option - multi use (wound cleaning, knife cleaning, hand sanitizing, and maybe drinking) as opposed to only one use and it has an orange flame. Spendier but worth it to me...

YMMV