New Bullet Design from Hornady

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pjblurton

yeah, it looked pretty cool. I saw a piece on them on Guns and Ammo TV and then an article in this months G&A Mag.

I shot Hornady an email and they said that it was a 2009 product and was not on the shelves yet.

Wtf makes a SD round and not make .45 part of the line up!

:usa:

Looks like they took an XTP and put plastic in it. Meh

Looks like they're losing money and they caught on with the powRball

Edited by sling
A lead tipped semi jacketed flat point probably works better. I bet I could order some XTP bullets and melt plastic in a pot and pour it in the hole...

But could you control the 'hardness depending on caliber?" :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

They are now available for sale. Midway and Cheaper Than Dirt have them stocked and ready to go.

After doing some more reading (see this post and links within: Hornady Critical Defense) I realize that they're really starting with these calibers, as the majority of concealed carry gun owners use these calibers. If it wins over in sales the larger .40 or .45 may become an option. It's a smart business decision, if you ask me. Plus, part of the idea behind this is to give the smaller caliber the expansion characteristics of what the larger caliber already does. Filling in the hollowpoint with the rubber is a great idea in any caliber, but we all know that, say, a hollow point Golden Sabre .45 (or similar) does just fine in the same type testing.

Nothing wrong with having another option... just a new tool in the toolbox. Personally though, I don't expect to put stock in any projectile more 'fancy' than a regular Gold-Dot until somebody develops a viable 'brain-seeking' guided bullet.

A better application for this would be in heavy, slow JHPs which tend to have expansion issues moreso than the light, fast projectiles which have more to lose with regard to effective penetration when they do expand.

They are now available for sale. Midway and Cheaper Than Dirt have them stocked and ready to go.

After doing some more reading (see this post and links within: Hornady Critical Defense) I realize that they're really starting with these calibers, as the majority of concealed carry gun owners use these calibers. If it wins over in sales the larger .40 or .45 may become an option. It's a smart business decision, if you ask me. Plus, part of the idea behind this is to give the smaller caliber the expansion characteristics of what the larger caliber already does. Filling in the hollowpoint with the rubber is a great idea in any caliber, but we all know that, say, a hollow point Golden Sabre .45 (or similar) does just fine in the same type testing.

Midway should have them by the 15th.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=388966

I dont plan on carrying the thing anytime soon. Ballistic gel tests dont do it for me.

Give me .45 ball for winter and .45 tactical bonded for the rest.

Edited by sling
Midway should have them by the 15th.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=388966

I dont plan on carrying the thing anytime soon. Ballistic gel tests dont do it for me.

Give me .45 ball for winter and .45 tactical bonded for the rest.

Well, they HAD the 9mm at the time I wrote that yesterday;that and the 380. Did you watch the video? The whole point is that ballistic gell tests don't do it for them either... except to demonstrate the cavitation and round spread, which we could all agree on. (Couldn't we?) :D

Edited by tadams
Added .380 Midway link
Well, they HAD the 9mm at the time I wrote that yesterday;that and the 380. Did you watch the video? The whole point is that ballistic gell tests don't do it for them either... except to demonstrate the cavitation and round spread, which we could all agree on. (Couldn't we?) :D

Holy smokes, really?

I guess they caught on quick. I'm sure there will be some bozo that buys them and loads em but without trying them....

Then we hear some sad story of our hero having to use the round in a SD situation and that it went horribly wrong... the cartridge fires but the heat somehow melts the plastic and gums up the barrel... and then explodes in the mans face. Then Hornady makes a recall.

I couldnt imagine what would happen if they were fed through a glock. :drool:

*note for the ones with no sense of humor* The above is a joke.

Edited by sling