Your Go bag

Guest dwrd

I'll start this off. When killing time in a bookstore a few weeks back, I came across a magazine called the Guns and Ammo Book of Personal Defense. It was one of those special issues etc. One of the articles talked about having a go bag. I didn't buy the magazine, but here is the cliff notes version of what I remember.

It talked about having a bag ready that you can grab at a moment's notice and be ready to move. It was related to a military E&E(Escape and Evade) bag. The examples of what was in it varied by the size of the bag and the scope of what you might use it for.

They talked about having a bag that had enough room for 200 rounds for your long gun(AR platform is what they talked about mainly) 100 rounds for your sidearm, a MRE, a bottle of water, and extra knife, lighter, flashlight, 500 dollars cash(in smaller bills as during a time of crisis, change might not be readily available), A cell phone with extra battery, a small notepad, and some other things like that.

It was very similar to what I remember in boy scouts in having your 10 essentials whenever you went out hiking or camping. They had examples of some officers in Katrina who were some of the most prepared as they already had these go bags ready in their cruisers.

Does anyone have this magazine? I used to work at the bookstore, so I will see if I can "borrow" a copy to scan in that article to add here as well.

*EDIT*

Here is a link to a scan of the original article from the magazine.

http://web.me.com/deweese/jerkandrun.pdf

Edited by dwrd
Added link to scanned .pdf
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a note.....

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14083

This forum will be devoted to discussion of survival skills. I can envision topics like:

• Camping and basic woodsman skills.
  • Gardening, canning, pantry management.
  • Shortwave radio, CB radio, etc.
  • Storm shelters, natural disaster survival, etc.
  • Basic first aid, field medicine, homeopathic remedies.

I think it could be done intelligently and in such a way that it is educational. Far too many forums strictly devoted to those topics tend to be occupied by serious TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it) extremists and tinfoil hat conspiracy nuts. That sort of nonsense is not going to be tolerated here.

Posts shall remain serious, topical and rational. The more educational or informative the post, the better.

Silly BS posts about zombie plagues or government overthrows will not be tolerated. I am instituting a zero tolerance policy on that. Anyone who intentionally mucks up the threads or posts in this area by proliferating that sort of idiocy will be removed from TGO.

Thank you and enjoy. :shrug:

I like bug out bags. I have always been a fan of backpacks for some reason, so I enjoy thinking and tinkering, trying to come up with "the perfect" bug out bag. It is like the perfect carry weapon-- it cannot be done, but I like the challenge.

Living where I do (Memphis), I thought it would be prudent for the family members to all have individual bug out bags. We have seen the Katrina people and the Ike people evacuate to Memphis- many had only the clothes on their back, others were quite well prepared. I prefer to be one of the prepared if it happens to my family.

There are real risks for us living here in tornado alley and in the most dangerous earthquake zone in North America. In Memphis we are subject to home damage and power loss due to storms (tornadoes, ice storms), the Big One (earthquake), and toxic chemical spills that might include evacuation (We live .5 mile from a major rail line with lots of traffic- we have had derailments and spills nearby before).

A few years ago we had a big storm- some parts of town were without power for several weeks. Trees fell and smashed houses, making some of them unlivable, and the occupants had to evacuate. Many ATM's and gas stations were not working because power was out. Not a good scene for the unprepared.

My wife and I have personal bags at the ready-- they are individual backpacks that live in closets. If storms are imminent, we get the bags out and "top them off" with our everyday carry stuff and just keep the bags at arms length, ready to go. We have some other things (long guns, heirlooms etc) ready to grab and load up in case we need to hop in the vehicle and go live elsewhere for a few days.

And we have an emergency 10 gallon supply of gasoline- My little car gets almost 40 mpg, so that extra 10 gallons can get us almost 400 miles away from Memphis.

With some ammo, some cash, photocopies of our important papers, food, first aid, carry weapons, etc., we can make it just fine for a few days if we have to.

My recent efforts have been at uploading all the health records/insurance info to the web so if we end up elsewhere without it someone can download it for us.

Guest sermon8r

1 - BIBLE

200 ROUNDS 45ACP

1 - CLEANING KIT

1 - C.E.R.T. HARD HAT

1 - GEAR BAG

1 - HEAVY DUTY WORK GLOVES

1 - CHEMICAL GOGGLES VENTED

1 - 14 N 1 POCKET TOOL

1 - 12 HOUR LIGHT STICK – GREEN

1 - GREEN COTTON CERT VEST W/ REFLECTIVE STRIPE

1 - KNEE PADS – XL

1 - 4 IN 1 GAS & WATER SHUT OFF

1 - N95 DUST MASK (ONE)

1 - LARGE MAYDAY SOLAR BLANKET

1 - DUCT TAPE 10 YARDS

1 - D SIZE FLASHLIGHT

1 - CODE RED ( 20YR LIFE ) BATTERY

1 - 5 N 1 WHISTLE

1 - 300 FEET 'CAUTION TAPE' 2 MIL

1 - 24 INCH PRY BAR

1 - LUMBER CRAYON

1 - ROPE1/4' X 100 FEET

1 - 2M HAM RADIO HANDI TALKI W 2 BATTERIES AND EXTRA ANTENNA

1 - CELL PHONE BATTERY AND CAR CHARGER

2 - C BATTERIES (pair)

12 - MAYDAY POUCH WATER 4.225 0Z

1 - 12OO CALORIE FOOD BAR

1 - BLUE TARP 8 X 10

1 - DELUXE PONCHO WITH CERT LOGO

First Aid Supplies

1 - BLOODSTOPPER

2 - 1 X 10 YDS. ADHESIVE TAPE

12 - 4 X 4 STERILE GAUZE PADS

1 - EMT PARAMEDIC SCISSORS

1 - HYDROGEN PEROXIDE - 4 OUNCE

2 - SPF 30 TOWELETTS - FOIL PACK

2 - LATEX GLOVES - 1 PAIR

Guest RISC777
1 - 2M HAM RADIO HANDI TALKI W 2 BATTERIES AND EXTRA ANTENNA
A ham portable would be highly useful, especially in a worser case scenario of a more than just TN emergency type of situation. If cell reception is gone and a citizen's band reach won't do it, a ham rig would be the way to go. That, or smoke signals.

So, you have your license? I was looking at the FRS/GMRS that have up to a 30 mile reach depending on the model. A two-pack and some paper to mail in to be legal for the full reach they can provide is looking good. Emergency communication, hunting, etc. [bestBuy's quickie on FRS/GMRS radios link. BestBuy is good for paying the little extra for a 4-year warranty. GMRS wiki link. Midland's offering link.]

The wife and I both have Maxpedition Merlin folding backpacks full of gear. I keep it light, but I like to pack a little extra. Here are our kits:

2 types of firesarting devices-matches,flint stone

Dust masks

First aid kit (I've added a few things, enough to deal with minor trauma)

Canteen

Water purifying tablets

12 packets of water from Survival Industries

3 day food bar from S.I

2 space blankets

100' 550 cord

tarp

tent stakes

work gloves

nitrile gloves

Surefire G2 flashlight w/ extra batteries

rain suit

crank radio flashlight

There are a few other odds and ends in there, but that is purely a survival bag for the car. Extra ammo for my carry gun is usually in my smaller Maxpedition bag and we have an ammo go bag for the shotgun and AR in the house.

I have heard good reviews of this pack for its sturdiness. I would think, however, in a survival situation, you would not want to be wearing such a blatant "I have a gun, shoot me first" backpack, or SMF gear, for short. I liken it to having a HCP badge. YMMV.

I personally have a Large A.L.I.C.E. pack, which is in the same boat as above. I have been researching for some other type of bag. Of course, around here, meaning TN, an ALICE bag doesn't stand out as much as, say, Kifaru would, though I do drool over there packs. But buying Kifaru is like buying a used car for most people. :D

http://www.kifaru.net/MGpacks.htm

I am probably going to pick up a Maxpedition Falcon. I'll throw on a few patches from some bands and such to not seem so "tactical." Of course, at my size, I would look more like the "I'm here to save the internet" kid. :D

I guess it would really depend on your area. In a small town, that pack might not stand out so bad. Here in Knoxville, I would probably be stopped by the first LEO who spots me. Remember too, we're talking about short term scenarios. Anyways, that's my two cents.

Guest Astra900

Maxpedition gear slinger.

*water proof matches, 2 bic lighters, and a magnesium/flint

*Gerber LMFII

*Gerber Hatchet

*Gerber multi tool

*Gerber fillet knife

*emergency shelter {it's like a mini tarp with lines and stakes}

*Canteen (I keep bottled water right next to the bag 4 a quick fill up)

*Stainless Steel flask, filled with 12yr old Glenn Levitt which I periodically empty and refill:D:D:D

*Pocket sized KJV Bible

*Leather bound SHTF diary

*.25acp w/ box of ammo (my real weapons will already be in hand when I grab my Bug Out Bag {BOB})

*vacuum sealed high calorie energy bars

*mini sewing kit

*small first aid kit

Guest Revelator

I have a small suitcase with a couple days of clothes and toiletries, a pair of shoes and a towel. I made a similar one for my wife but for some reason she unpacked it (I guess to use her suitcase for something else) and isn't in too big of a hurry to put it back. She's not as into this as I am. In both of our cars I've put in several days of food and water, a blanket and a heavy coat. I need to add a few little things like some first-aid materials, matches, maybe some extra shotgun shells. I've got five gallons of gas stored, want to bump that up to ten. I need to put some more thought into what am I taking if I've got only 60 seconds to get out of the house, as opposed to what am I taking if I've got an hour or more. You should have different plans for these different scenarios.

Guest Revelator

I see alot of responses here with items more attuned to basic survival and/or camping scenarios. If that's what you're into, great, (and hey, this forum is about survival) but I think if I ever have to get out of the house it'll more than likely be one of these scenarios:

-earthquake

-tornado

-chemical spill

-fire

If my house burns down, I'm not going to need rope and a knife. I'm going to need my insurance information and a change of socks. None of these events are global, national or even regional. They're all local, with the possible exception of earthquake. So if I have to leave my home and maybe even my city because of them, I'll still be within a close drive of hotels and restaurants. That's why I don't pack any food in my bag, though I do keep plenty stored at home and some in the cars. I guess my point is that there are different types of emergency situations, and the ones most likely to affect me are simply not going to require me taking to the woods and living off the land. The more I think about this, the more I wonder how well a bag would really serve me. I guess it's better to have one than not, but I think that it's much more important to have things like a large, readily available sum of money (for staying at a hotel, buying new clothes, etc.), gas for your car, and a network of people you trust who can help. If you have all of these and nothing else, you should pretty well get through any situation that requires you to leave your home on short notice.

Don't forget riot.

I see alot of responses here with items more attuned to basic survival and/or camping scenarios. If that's what you're into, great, (and hey, this forum is about survival) but I think if I ever have to get out of the house it'll more than likely be one of these scenarios:

-earthquake

-tornado

-chemical spill

-fire

If my house burns down, I'm not going to need rope and a knife. I'm going to need my insurance information and a change of socks. None of these events are global, national or even regional. They're all local, with the possible exception of earthquake. So if I have to leave my home and maybe even my city because of them, I'll still be within a close drive of hotels and restaurants. That's why I don't pack any food in my bag, though I do keep plenty stored at home and some in the cars. I guess my point is that there are different types of emergency situations, and the ones most likely to affect me are simply not going to require me taking to the woods and living off the land. The more I think about this, the more I wonder how well a bag would really serve me. I guess it's better to have one than not, but I think that it's much more important to have things like a large, readily available sum of money (for staying at a hotel, buying new clothes, etc.), gas for your car, and a network of people you trust who can help. If you have all of these and nothing else, you should pretty well get through any situation that requires you to leave your home on short notice.

Finally checked out the link, dwrd.

I bought the same issue.

It's good reading.

I read the entire magazine while in the bookstore one day when killing some time. I am waiting until it gets pulled from the shelves, so I use my ex bookstore status to acquire a copy before it hits the dumpster.