Horizontal 2 stroke???

Caster

Anyone ever seen a side shaft 2 stroke engine of any real size?  I've seen several vertical crank engines from push mowers but for the exception of geared dirt bike engines, I can't recall seeing a 2 cycle engine the relative size of a 5 horse briggs.

I have a project in mind that I will need a small side shaft engine.  I prefer two stroke engines and would like to find one.  I've googled and obviously found nothing or I wouldn't be aggravating y'all.   :pleased:

I could probably work with two and half horse but really would like a little more.

Wish there was a horizontal crank engin like my push mower. I have a Jacobsen push mower with a Suzuki two stroke. Don't know the horse power but it will cut one high grass as long as it can get the grass out without clogging. It's STOUT.

I just like two cycle engines. If they're set up and built right they sure to last a long time. I've been using this Jacobsen for over five years with nothing but a fresh plug every year and a new resistance type plug boot when I rammed it under a bush and cracked it. I've even run it on 50% gas/oil - 50% kerosene. Ran great. Stank like heck though.

I understand preference but why not a four stroke?  

I also understand being a man and wanting to make something work.   Love it when I can make it happen.

I need to change a mini bike motor,  never done it, not so sure I can but I wanna try.

Anyone ever seen a side shaft 2 stroke engine of any real size?  I've seen several vertical crank engines from push mowers but for the exception of geared dirt bike engines, I can't recall seeing a 2 cycle engine the relative size of a 5 horse briggs.

I have a project in mind that I will need a small side shaft engine.  I prefer two stroke engines and would like to find one.  I've googled and obviously found nothing or I wouldn't be aggravating y'all.   :pleased:

Caster, I don't know what project you have in mind, but I do have such a two stroke engine. If you'll PM me, I'll give you the details... and, I think I have some picks on one of my computers.

I understand preference but why not a four stroke?  

I also understand being a man and wanting to make something work.   Love it when I can make it happen.

I need to change a mini bike motor,  never done it, not so sure I can but I wanna try.

Two stroke engines are much more forgiving on fuel. A four stroke needs good clean fuel to run proper. I've tinkered with several two strokes and have run them on kerosene and diesel blended with fuel/oil premix. I used to have a weed eater that would run on straight kerosene. It required starting fluid to crank, even when hot, but it ran great on straight kerosene.
My push mower is two stroke and I've fed it similar.
Two strokes are extremely simple once you understand why they need.
  • Like 1
Crazy, never knew or even thought you could run a 2 stroke on diesel and kerosene.

I will say a Diesel engine will run with gas mixed in with the diesel. Our unit in Germany had a diesel VW van that we used to run around in. Someone messed up and topped off the 1/2 full tank with MOGAS. It ran like a scalded dog but once we shut the engine off it never started again.
You'll have to be very cautious and be sure there's enough oil in the mix to keep the rod and crank lubricated, but it's pretty amazing what some small engines will run on.
I know a 5hp Honda will run on Golden Grain 190 proof as well. Done tried that one too.