44 Mag Loads for Desert Eagle

Bottom line up front: I am absolutley at a loss for loading for this mammoth. Guess that's the price to pay for overcompensating, eh? :P

I was able to cycle 240gr JSP nickel plated rounds no problem. The problem came when I was using 240gr FMJ loads from my local range (MCSC) made by Tennessee Cartridge, LLC from Oakland, TN...more times than not it would fail to eject, let alone chamber the next round.

Took the whole weapon apart, my springs are new, the gas port isn't fouled and the ejector is good to go. So I highly doubt it is a problem with the weapon itself - otherwise I wouldn't have been able to shoot those JSPs.

So: I've been doing some research, CalGuns has a decent amount of info on it but nothing specific; notably just 240 gr bullets with 28gr of H110. Is there any specific cases, primers and/or bullet manufacturers and OAL I should be using with that?

Or does anyone have a specific recipe with everything mapped out? I can't seem to find a consensus from the forums I have torn through and would like anyone's opinion/insight here on the matter.

It also doesn't help I am new to reloading and I do not know much about the tolerances of the .44 Mag either.

I'll probably be exclusively staying with 240gr JHP either way.

Thank you all in advance.

These can be quite the contrary little bitch to load for.  Being gas operated, they don't dance like the rest of our pistols do.  

Wish i had some specifics for you.

Cheap target ammo is quite renown for being anemic.  

As far as cases and primers....pick one.  Stick with it and don't start swapping them around.  If you like Starline cases, use them, just don't mix cases or primers.  Someone will chime in that's perfectly safe to do so and it might be but you will NOT get consistency that way.  

If you are using data that does not specifically list ALL components and the test medium it was fired from......reconsider using that data.  

Edited by Caster

i just visited Hodgdons website......28.0g is way over their listed maximum.  Such is the curse of interwebz load data.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Winchester case, remington 2 1/2 primer, 1.600 OAL 

Starting load of H110 is 23.0 and max is 24.0g

H110 is a GREAT powder but it has a small operating window and operating outside that window things get stupid fast.  Reducing as well as increasing is VERY bad with H110

Edited by Caster

i just visited Hodgdons website......28.0g is way over their listed maximum.  Such is the curse of interwebz load data.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Winchester case, remington 2 1/2 primer, 1.600 OAL 

Starting load of H110 is 23.0 and max is 24.0g

H110 is a GREAT powder but it has a small operating window and operating outside that window things get stupid fast.  Reducing as well as increasing is VERY bad with H110

That is what I have heard about it. Sucks most of those archived topics on the interwebz turned into "I is more better than you at reloadin bruh" really quick.

Especially CalGuns...well it is Kali.

Im kind of stuck with multi-brass as the guy I traded my ACR to gave me a bunch of nickel plated JSPs (about 75) and just regular 300gr XTP in Starline brass.

The DEagle is still more of a range toy to me and something fun to play around with. The recoil was very underwhelming, it is hyped up way too bad.

I will try out the load you gave me - I am sure that the TC .44 Mag I was shooting was using a different powder and a whole lot less of it.

I can attest to CALGUNS.  Was one of the first 200 members, and had bullet button #40.  So glad I got paroled to TN. 

Lots of great, smart people there.  In fact most don't realize the role that CALGUNS played in the DC and Chicago SCOTUS cases...

That being said I use no load data from the web unless it is off the manufacturers page.  To many know nothing know it all's

You need to make the loads hot or it can have trouble.   The gun can take it, and its actually designed for hotter loads.  Not saying to exceed safe values, but you can't go too low with it.   They also tell you not to use lead because it can clog the gas system.  Ive not had any trouble with it, but others have.

You said your springs are new.    That can also play into it...  my gun is broken in and cycles on "most" ammo now.   But it still can bung up the case on weaker loads, even if they cycle, and the weakest don't eject right or at all.   You need some deer busters to break it in and keep it running hard for a while...  use 85 -95% of your do-not-exceed load and if that does not work,  slowly increase it ... I would even give it up to 5% over do not exceed before becoming too worried about it on a new set of springs...  the Israeli ammo I found once for mine was extremely potent...  

We load nosler 240 or 220 grains with h110 at bottom to middle of hodgdon recommended. You need a true magnum powder to keep it happy h110, 2400..... Accurate #9 to near max recommended with nosler 240 grains cycles fine and locks the slide most of the time. only revolver caliber I use a gauge for so if you don't have one consider picking one up. We have pretty good luck with factory ammo, but has a few rounds through it.
Enjoy. It rocks with h110.
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
There are warnings about starting under the minimum charge. A lot of manuals stray from normal 10% reduction to a 3% reduction for h110. H110 likes a full case and reduction can cause inconsistent ignition. I think Hodgdon's minimum of 23 grains of h110 for a 240 grain bullet is a pussycat load in DE 44mag. For lighter loads I'd find another powder and not reduce that load any further. Edited by ohell