Where and how much? Cheapest 12 gauge target loads.

Hadn't bought any 12 in some time but I would like to shoot up some ammo, cheap ammo. Here's a "useda", I useda could buy a 25 count box of target loads for about $3. checking the Wallyworld site their cheapest stuff is almost double that now and it's the Winchester Super Target with the bi-metal case that likes to swell and stick. I will not waste my money on that anymore. Doesn't Remington make a cheap target load in 12 gauge? Something with a brass base, I guess i'll pay the couple of extra $$ for it but i'm sure no one wants high dollar premium ammo just to fun shoot. I also don't want to have to take a cleaning rod to tap the shell just to get it to extract no matter if the shells were $1 per box.

My local Wallys have 100rd Federal packs for 21.97- $24.97 depending on the store, and it is flawless in every guns I've tried it in, to include 3 autos, a couple doubles, and at least a dozen pumps. Like you, I've sworn off the cheap Winchester stuff due to sticking in the chamber, etc. And not just in autos has it caused me frustration. I've missed more than a few 2nd clay pigeons because instead of a quick rack'n shoot like normal, I've had to take an extra second to manhandle the gun to get that sticky case out.

My favorite target shell is Rio's cheap stuff. Beautiful blue case, brass base, 100% function. I usually pay $5.49/box, and have a huge pile of the stuff. The TN connection with them is nice, too.

Academy has their Monarch dove loads on sale for $4.99/box, and so far it's been fine for me but I've only run it in a 930 auto, an 870, and an old Ithaca pump so far. That's the best deal I can think of.

I believe the day of $3/box 12g is long gone. I'm still sitting on 4 flats I bought at Academy in Cool Springs when it was on sale for $2.38/box years ago. I may be through that in another year. I still buy shells like crazy though, because in a few more years when we'll be complaining about $10/box range shells, I'll just be caught up to the stuff I paid $5 for, lol! Edited by musicman
  • Like 1

My local Wallys have 100rd Federal packs for 21.97- $24.97 depending on the store, and it is flawless in every guns I've tried it in, to include 3 autos, a couple doubles, and at least a dozen pumps. Like you, I've sworn off the cheap Winchester stuff due to sticking in the chamber, etc. And not just in autos has it caused me frustration. I've missed more than a few 2nd clay pigeons because instead of a quick rack'n shoot like normal, I've had to take an extra second to manhandle the gun to get that sticky case out.

My favorite target shell is Rio's cheap stuff. Beautiful blue case, brass base, 100% function. I usually pay $5.49/box, and have a huge pile of the stuff. The TN connection with them is nice, too.

Academy has their Monarch dove loads on sale for $4.99/box, and so far it's been fine for me but I've only run it in a 930 auto, an 870, and an old Ithaca pump so far. That's the best deal I can think of.

I believe the day of $3/box 12g is long gone. I'm still sitting on 4 flats I bought at Academy in Cool Springs when it was on sale for $2.38/box years ago. I may be through that in another year. I still buy shells like crazy though, because in a few more years when we'll be complaining about $10/box range shells, I'll just be caught up to the stuff I paid $5 for, lol!

They moved to Texas. I don't know if the plant near McEwen is still putting out shells but as of late last year they are gone (in theory).

Hadn't bought any 12 in some time but I would like to shoot up some ammo, cheap ammo. Here's a "useda", I useda could buy a 25 count box of target loads for about $3. checking the Wallyworld site their cheapest stuff is almost double that now and it's the Winchester Super Target with the bi-metal case that likes to swell and stick. I will not waste my money on that anymore. Doesn't Remington make a cheap target load in 12 gauge? Something with a brass base, I guess i'll pay the couple of extra $$ for it but i'm sure no one wants high dollar premium ammo just to fun shoot. I also don't want to have to take a cleaning rod to tap the shell just to get it to extract no matter if the shells were $1 per box.

Yes the Remington shells are called Gun Clubs. Great shells and they are pretty much the same as an STS. I just received 30 flats of them. The Federal Top Gun aka Walmart Special are the worst shells on the market.
  • Like 1

Grab the cheap Walmart Federal. I picked some up a few months ago for under $30 a 100 round case out the door.

Winchester bulk pack can have issues with some semi auto guns.

My nephew and I had issues with some he bought at the Cheatham range in both our 870's and my Stoeger Uplander SxS.

I believe the day of $3/box 12g is long gone. I'm still sitting on 4 flats I bought at Academy in Cool Springs when it was on sale for $2.38/box years ago. I may be through that in another year. I still buy shells like crazy though, because in a few more years when we'll be complaining about $10/box range shells, I'll just be caught up to the stuff I paid $5 for, lol!

Thanks, I just want something to fun shoot, I have some Rem and Win #6 shot field loads but I would like to keep a supply of that around. I didn't know if Winchester still made that with the bi-metal base, it's obvious that the base swells when fired. That day we shot a variety of stuff, some from the early 80's I had from low brass bird loads to high brass black Browning loads and a bunch of others. Everything cycled fine except the Winchester bulk and every time we fired one of those we had difficulty extracting and ejecting them. I would hope that they would quit making the stuff and go back to brass, i'm sure they have had some complaints. My nephew still has some left over but he will never shoot them just because of the hassle.

They moved to Texas. I don't know if the plant near McEwen is still putting out shells but as of late last year they are gone (in theory).

I'll look into that. I know they had that big explosion at the McEwen facility a year or two ago, guess I haven't heard much about the rebuilding. The last box I bought a couple months ago said McEwen still, but who knows how long that stuff was sitting in a DC somewhere, and then in a store's back room before going onto a shelf. :/
I just laughed when people talk about target loads for $10 a box. They already exist or the price is damn near t:hat. Winchester AA, Remington STS or Nitros, FederalGold Media, Federal Papers, and especially the AA TrAAcker. Also I heard that Rio is gonna be making their own rifle and pistol ammo because . They already have rifle ammo branded under their name. They are also supposed to be adding 28 and 410 ammo to their lineup nut I don't know if/ when it will happen.
Not gunna lie, those TrAAckers are cool! Seems the tracker is a bit behind the rest of your load, but still a cool training tool for seeing where your misses went. For the ones you hit, it's fun to watch the clay burst and then see that little wad zing through the dust cloud!

About time. When I shot trap, mid 1970's thru mid 1990's we just had a spotter stand behind the shooter, they can see where the shot and wad are going. You should pattern your trap or skeet shotgun just like you pattern your turkey gun. Most everyone reloaded at that time,  Winchester AA was the brand of choice 71/2 or 8 shot. I lived forty miles west of Chicago and we got our shooting supplies from a little dump just across the Wisconsin state line, called Gander Mountain. How things have changed :cheers:

Edited by crossfire
  • Like 1

So you were having issues with the Federal loads in two 870s and a double?

Federal is the only load that reliably cycled my semi auto 12. Remington caused random issues and Winchester rarely would make it through a magazine with a failure.

No they were the Winchester Super Target shells we had trouble with. Just noticed Shotgun Shooters post about Federal and darned if I didn't buy a box (25) today for $5.50. Also bought a box of Rio Game loads, #7.5 shot for $5.50. Bought them at Dicks on Charlotte Pk. Wished I had bought all Rio now. I'll know this weekend how the Federal works I guess, they do have the bi metal base but they were taped up and I didn't open them. I was just avoiding the Winchester stuff.

Shotgunshooter is actually the first person I've heard with complaints against the Federal ammo. On the other hand, I don't know a shooter who HASN'T had trouble with the bulk Winchester stuff.

I have a feeling both boxes should work out great for you. I'm a sucker for anything blue in color, so that's mostly why I love the Rio stuff :-D
  • Like 2

Shotgunshooter is actually the first person I've heard with complaints against the Federal ammo. On the other hand, I don't know a shooter who HASN'T had trouble with the bulk Winchester stuff.

I have a feeling both boxes should work out great for you. I'm a sucker for anything blue in color, so that's mostly why I love the Rio stuff :-D

Well I bought them just to shoot stuff, I haven't broken in that Stoeger yet, it's still hasn't loosened up hardly. These Federals I bought today are just marked Federal Target Load, the box is red white and blue with stars, and there are red shells, white shells and blue shells, #8 shot.

Yep, looking at the shells they say Top Gun on them.

Edited by K191145

Was going through my shotgun ammo box to organize and put the new stuff in and came across these. A while back I bought a milk crate of household cleaners, 3 full cans of spray paint and these were in the crate all fo $2. Aren't yard sales great sometimes? Anyway, they advertize proudly "all new plastic" shells with a .3 cent Tennessee tax stamp on the box so you know they have to be old. Only 2 shells were missing and there was an oddball Remington Victor #9 shot shell in there. I have no doubt they are shootable but, I haven't because while they might not be worth much they are still collectables. Would you shoot any?

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JMH42/media/Old%20Shotgun%20Shells_zpspvhqtlrk.jpg.html]Old%20Shotgun%20Shells_zpspvhqtlrk.jpg[/URL]

I shoot sporting clays a lot, its hard to beat Wally's price.  In fact the box of 100 is cheaper now than maybe 1-2 years ago.  I bought like 10 boxes of 100 one Black Friday maybe 3 years ago, paid like $19 a box of 100 at Wally World.

Edited by Runco
Cool! I dunno... I'm pretty sure they'll shoot fine as long as they were kept dry for the last 30 years or whatever, but it's kinda cool lookin'. I have a few boxes of ammo from the 50's, 60's, and 70's that family or church members have given me over the years. If I HAD to shoot them, I would. However, I have uh... lots... of modern ammo for pretty much every caliber I shoot and will continue to use that first.

I have no pretense that the old stuff I have has any real fiscal value, but I like the old boxes and bullet styles. Also, some of it is sentimental. I have 3 boxes of 30-06, 38 special, and 12g that all came from a great friend who passed away a couple years ago. I'm sure it means nothing to anyone but me.

I might shoot a couple just to do it. If you shoot Mosins and surplus you have probably have shot Korean war era ammo.I wouldn't be afraid to shoot them at all, probably better ammo than some of the new stuff. I'm sure it's superior than new Winchester Super Target.

I shoot sporting clays a lot, its hard to be Wally's price.  In fact the box of 100 is cheaper now than maybe 1-2 years ago.  I bought like 10 boxes of 100 one Black Friday maybe 3 years ago, paid like $19 a box of 100 at Wally World.

What brand?

I've shot the cheap Federal 7-1/2 load and some RIO for the past two years at 3gun from a Remington 1100 and Stoeger M3000. I've never had a problem with either. I get the Federal at Sportsmans Warehouse for $6.79/box. Maybe cheaper at Walmart, but I can't drag myself in there anymore, lol
I don't have any problems with the Winchester Super Target loads. In fact I just finished off 30 cases of those. It took a little over 10 months. I used to have problems with Rios in other guns like my Browning Maxus and Beretta AL391 Urika but never any in my Kolars. Now Nobel Sports stay any from those. They are POS and I base that off of have 3-4 shells be smashed by the firing pin and still fail to go off per every 100. I actually chipped a set of firing pins completely flat on about 4-5K Nobels. Now my Kolar hits all primers so hard it ruptures them. They don't seem to go off in the cold either. Your mileage may vary though.

I don't have any problems with the Winchester Super Target loads. In fact I just finished off 30 cases of those. It took a little over 10 months. I used to have problems with Rios in other guns like my Browning Maxus and Beretta AL391 Urika but never any in my Kolars. Now Nobel Sports stay any from those. They are POS and I base that off of have 3-4 shells be smashed by the firing pin and still fail to go off per every 100. I actually chipped a set of firing pins completely flat on about 4-5K Nobels. Now my Kolar hits all primers so hard it ruptures them. They don't seem to go off in the cold either. Your mileage may vary though.

Now I have to say my experience with Winchester super Target was a couple of years ago but that batch we had then was bad, every single shell locked up in the chamber after firing them. We could barely extract them from both 870s and I couldn't break open my SxS unless I took a cleaning rod and tapped both spent shells. Absolutely no problems with anything else that day. They may have added strength to the base metal now but that batch we had then was horrible.