By the way, I have been pulled over several times in Maryland over the last few years and have never been asked about firearms. If you get pulled over on I-95, it is safe to assume you were driving very poorly because EVERYONE speeds, so unless you are 15+ mph over, you will likely be ignored. On the other hand, if you drive on county highways where the speed limit changes from 65 to 45 to 35 in a blink, you are far more likely to get pulled over for speeding because unless you live there it is very easy to miss a sign.

Carrying a shotgun sounds like more of a liability to me than anything else. The chance of needing to or being able to deploy a shotgun from a vehicle is pretty low compared to theft of the shotgun or getting hassled by LE.
  • Like 2

I would consider carrying mace in MD

I have heard the following are MD laws but do not know if these are factually correct:

it is illegal to carry anything that could be used as a weapon.

Baltimore City it is illegal to carry a knife. 

Maximum knife length is 3".

If you are traveling into or through Washington DC: I have heard that it is illegal to carry mace in Washington DC without a permit. Cartridges, empty casings, bullets, magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds are all illegal and they will prosecute you unless you work for the media or are a Congressman or Senator. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm traveling to Baltimore by car and staying for several days.
I have a Tn carry permit.
I realize I cannot carry in Baltimore.
My goal is to stay legally armed whenever/wherever possible during my car travel, until i reach lands where my gun will need to be unloaded and stowed in the back of the vehicle.
I will probably stay overnight in a hotel en route in whatever state is about 6 hours from here (nashville) to there.
Can someone plan my carry/storage needs for me?
I appreciate any help I can get.

As a former Maryland Resident I moved to TN just 4 Months.  Maryland law is clear.  Must carry the gun in the trunk unload and be over 21 years of age and must be on your way to 1 of few places.  Your home (Hotel in the case), to a range, Gun shop, or to you business you are at least part owner of.  You don't have to tell a police officer you have a gun in your car but it goes without saying don't lie if asked.  There is a list of guns that aren't allowed in the state but it is pretty small and mostly rifles and things like uzi's.  Think what you would see in a 1980 Ateam episode.  If you are thinking of taking a rifle with you I would check first.  AR15, AK47 and M1a are if purchased after oct 2013 banned I wouldn't risk taking those.  The state bans the purchase of Mag larger then 10 rounds but has no law against owning just can't buy, sell, or trade inside the state.  Baltimore City, PG county, and Montgomery counties are very liberal and the police are more likely to be aggressive against gun owners.  Baltimore City and PG County are very crime ridden areas avoid at all cost and don't take your gun into these area's as the cop's will arrest you for having a gun.

Unless you are going out of your way to hit places you are likely going to go tough TN -> VA -> MD.  Make sure you use the beltway and not go into DC.  I doubt the map will take you that way be avoid DC at all cost.  You will spend more than 6 hours on the road in VA you will most likely stay in a hotel in VA on the way.

Have you confirmed your hotel yet?  I might be able to help you avoid some of the worse area of Baltimore City.  Many of the hotel around BWI are pretty nice, not to pricey and is close to Baltimore.  Fells point is a really nice area but that is kind like staying in Opryland in Nashville a nice area but way overpriced.  If you have a specific part of the city you are looking to stay I might has some area's that are close but not hell holes.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle

I thought Maryland was so bad that you couldn't even transport a handgun unloaded and stored if you weren't licensed and the guns registered.  Even if Maryland was not your destination, I have heard that they don't seem to respect FOPA if they catch you traveling through the state.  There have also been reports of their troopers specifically targeting out-of-state travelers looking for guns.

I'm no expert, but I was under the impression that Maryland ranks right below New Jersey and New York in terms of victimizing gun owners.

As someone who use to live in MD.  We use to refer to ourselves as the best of the worse when it comes to gun control.  MD ban's mag over 10 rounds but they only ban the buying, selling, or trading.  You can go out of state and buy as many as you want you just have to hand transport them back into the state.  MD banned AR15, AK47, M1A bought after Oct 2013 but allow AR10's for instance.  Maryland laws are illogical and stupid but nothing like NJ, NY, or CA's

Thanks

Robert

Thanks for the good suggestion re the range, Patrick Henry, and thanks to all for the replies.

I have read unloaded shotguns or rifles are more tolerated when transported unloaded, and that they can be kept in hotel room or residence upon arrival into b'more.

I will be staying in an apartment in Baltimore whose lease is in my name.

Im fine with leaving my handgun at home since that seems to be what Maryland has the real beef with, so long as I can keep a long gun in the boot, unloaded while traveling. Just in case of a breakdown or other emergency, I don't wanna be unarmed/unable to defend my family
in murder central if I'm approached by scary folks.

I always fly in for the last few years since I've been going, so this is the first time driving in, hence the need to know the intricacies of Maryland/Baltimore law.
I'll keep researching and anyone else who can provide more insight would be a real help. Thanks

The law only allows Handguns to be transported to those very few places where as there is no regulation on the destination for a shotgun or rifle.  There is case law that a hotel room is considered a temporary home.

Thanks

Robert 

Agreed. But, with the articles I've read, one of which was posted in this thread by Tuffus, they are using available databases to run tags and select out handgun carry permit holders for stops. Me not having mine in the car if I am stopped won't have prevented the stop, but it should prevent escalation which is key when dealing with the officer

That is BS.  I am familiar with the issue and it was covered in great length on the MDShooters.com since it happen in MD.  The issue was an overzealous cop and a wife that was an idiot.  The husband decided it was better to leave the gun at home.  The Cop pulled him over.  When he pulled out his license the Cop saw his FL carry permit asked if there were any guns in the car.    He said no.  The cop asked the wife she said she had no idea where her husband keep his gun as she wanted to have nothing to do with it.  The Cop took that to mean there was a gun in the car and pulled the car apart looking for the gun the guy left at home.  He was able to search the car because he and his wife gave different statements and the gun would have been proof of lying to the Cop.

Thanks

Robert