Why some people shouldn't be police officers

So many people are against HCP badges because they think the simple act of wearing a badge means you are trying to impersonate an officer.

Now there is a situation where someone shows a badge in what appears to be an attempt to justify his actions to that point and/or threaten repercussion for further actions and now it is, "How do you know it is was an officer?" "Did you get a DNA sample?" etc... from everyone.

From what I read of the story the largest part of the aggression done by the other driver was before he found out he was "Number 1." No where did I read that he was bragging about acting bad towards the police.

While flipping the bird may not have been the brightest thing to do, it somewhat understandable as an immediate reaction to the situation and does not appear to be an attempt to escalate the situation. Escalating would have been trying to follow him for whatever reason and possibly more thing occurring. Seems the OP caught himself so to speak and backed of before doing that.

I agree there are many times I have seen people stay in the fast lane slowing traffic when they didn't have to, but that does not seem to be the case here.

Also I agree there is no 100% way to know that just because the other driver flashed a badge that it for sure meant they were a LEO, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume that from the set of circumstances, at the very least the other driver was trying to give the impression he was a LEO.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said that the dude wasn't trying to give that impression. But unless you can say and prove for certain that he is a officer, don't start telling everyone that he is one. And yes, there are people that feel that they must tell everyone how they stood up to the police and put the officer in their place. You know that as well as I do. And no, flipping someone off is not a proper and immediate response or reflex. It is an antagonizing act that tends to piss people off in this area and CAN escalate a situation, therefore possibly placing the OP and his wife and child in a dangerous situation. We all know that there are ignorant and foolish people in this world who feel tend to enjoy starting confrontations with others. What would you do if he decides to follow you around till you stop, or to your home and see where you live? Instead of trying to show your love for the other person, why not call the police and report the incident and give them the vehicle description and tag number. Hopefully there will be an officer close and can help with the situation. The driver was a danger to everyone on the road acting the way he was and needed to be stopped. Remember, if some type of violent confrontation comes from a situation like that, EVERYTHING said and done will be scrutinized by several different lawyers i.e. the DA's office, a civil attorney, a judge, and your attorney.

Oh, and no, I don't flip people off while driving down the road. Yes I do get annoyed sometimes at the way people drive, but being held to a higher standard means that I have to live by that higher standard and act appropriately; even when it would feel great to flip em off.

I know that what the OP said occurred happened in a very short time frame and he had to make some quick decisions that in retrospect he would maybe change or not. I know that it sucks when people scrutinize your decisions with a microscope for a long period of time. I know that people don't feel the emotions and physical reactions that you were feeling at the time of the incident. I know that after your actions get run through with a fine tooth comb and you get told that maybe there was a better way to respond, you will start second guessing yourself and sometimes doubt your decision making abilities. Sucks don't it? LEO's get to live with that everyday of their lives. If you find yourself in a violent confrontation and you defend yourself or others with your firearm, that will happen to you too. Plan ahead and keep you temper in check, don't lower yourself to the turds level. That way the witness's will explain that you tried to not get into the confrontation, and you acted like somebody and the turd was acting like the piece of :rolleyes: they were and you had no choice but to do what you did.

I hope the guy was not an officer. Flashing a badge like that it the quickest way to lose it. I know the pet supply place I buy my dog food at will give discounts, but I won't whip out my badge for that. I only know because they gave me a discount one time when I was in uniform. Real cops don't advertise.

Instead of trying to show your love for the other person, why not call the police and report the incident and give them the vehicle description and tag number.

Because, if this guy had turned out to be MPD, OP's call to the police would have been a complete waste of time. Cops around here are above the law.

flipping someone off is not a proper and immediate response or reflex.

Yes, it is an immediate response and one that most people are likely to take in a vehicle when some one else shows bad behavior

What would you do if he decides to follow you around till you stop, or to your home and see where you live?

Had this person started following me and making every single turn that I made, I would have gotten on the phone with the police and let them know that some one is following me and that I am headed for the nearest police substation. I would never let some one follow me home.

Oh, and no, I don't flip people off while driving down the road. Yes I do get annoyed sometimes at the way people drive, but being held to a higher standard means that I have to live by that higher standard and act appropriately; even when it would feel great to flip em off.

You have NEVER flipped some one off when driving? I find that hard to believe. Unless you are the pope or Mother Theresa, some time in your life I would bet $100 that you flipped some one off while driving. It is a reaction. Again, probably not the best one, but it was a reaction.

Would I do it again? Probably. Would I follow them to where they are going? Maybe. Would I try to get the tag number? You bet ya.

I have said my say and that will be the last of it.

I agree with deerslayer 100%. If you would have called the police in Memphis you would have been the one getting the ticket in the end. Following a officer in Memphis will get you thrown in the slammer. Most of the LEOS from that area I have meet a real di---. He showed you his babge because he new he was a piece of :rolleyes:.

Guest pjblurton

I can tell that most of the people here that are giving Brian a ration of :poop: have not spent any time behind the wheel in Memphis. People here are retarded. Likewise, I have never spent any time behind a badge so I don't really know the other side of this story.

But, If I were in the same situation, I would not budge out of my lane. I'm already in the fast lane and I am doing 10 mph over the speed limit and this fu*ktard wants to ride MY a$$ because I'm not going fast enough? Nah.... If you are that important drive around me, pal.

I have seen several officers in their personal vehicle who had responded to calls in the area and they all have flashing blue lights in their grill, alternate flashing high beams and flashing backup lights. If I see flashing lights in my rear view, by all means, I'm moving WAY over and let this man do his job. If I do not see lights and this officer is late for picking up his kids from soccer practice, then you wait in line like the rest of us...

Now... I probably wouldn't have told this jerk that he was #1 in my book, but if I did, and THEN he flashed a badge at me, he would have got a second one. And that would not be because I think I'm Billy Bad A$$ either. It's to let him know that his lack of respect for the people he supposedly swore to protect and serve would not be tolerated. If he decied to pull me over, then so be it. I would not have any problems explaining a middle finger but driving 80 w/o any emergency lights on might be more difficult...

Guest canynracer
I never said that the dude wasn't trying to give that impression. But unless you can say and prove for certain that he is a officer, don't start telling everyone that he is one. And yes, there are people that feel that they must tell everyone how they stood up to the police and put the officer in their place. You know that as well as I do. And no, flipping someone off is not a proper and immediate response or reflex. It is an antagonizing act that tends to piss people off in this area and CAN escalate a situation, therefore possibly placing the OP and his wife and child in a dangerous situation. We all know that there are ignorant and foolish people in this world who feel tend to enjoy starting confrontations with others. What would you do if he decides to follow you around till you stop, or to your home and see where you live? Instead of trying to show your love for the other person, why not call the police and report the incident and give them the vehicle description and tag number. Hopefully there will be an officer close and can help with the situation. The driver was a danger to everyone on the road acting the way he was and needed to be stopped. Remember, if some type of violent confrontation comes from a situation like that, EVERYTHING said and done will be scrutinized by several different lawyers i.e. the DA's office, a civil attorney, a judge, and your attorney.

I know that what the OP said occurred happened in a very short time frame and he had to make some quick decisions that in retrospect he would maybe change or not. I know that it sucks when people scrutinize your decisions with a microscope for a long period of time. I know that people don't feel the emotions and physical reactions that you were feeling at the time of the incident. I know that after your actions get run through with a fine tooth comb and you get told that maybe there was a better way to respond, you will start second guessing yourself and sometimes doubt your decision making abilities. Sucks don't it? LEO's get to live with that everyday of their lives. If you find yourself in a violent confrontation and you defend yourself or others with your firearm, that will happen to you too. Plan ahead and keep you temper in check, don't lower yourself to the turds level. That way the witness's will explain that you tried to not get into the confrontation, and you acted like somebody and the turd was acting like the piece of :poop: they were and you had no choice but to do what you did.

JLowe,

I agree with MOST of what you said, my point in my reply to you was that you answered this thread on the defensive.

Please in the future be able to Identify the "officer" by name, rank, and badge number before you start trying to run off at the mouth about officers. I know that its cool to tell everybody how you acted like "Billy bada**" to the Police, but you don't even know and cannot prove that he was an actual officer. .

my point is that your approach was WAY off. There is no way anyone would know that a dud in a red truck is a cop..so Brian was NOT acting like "Billy bad ass to the Police"

And I dont believe for one second that you have not flipped someone off. Sorry.

I have read some of your posts, being an officer, a quality to which I completley admire, I have NO DOUBT that if you were off duty in Brians situation, that you would NOT go gently into the night. I would BET my paycheck that you would have given the dude a piece of your mind, or flashed your badge back at the idiot.

I dont agree with flipping off, but I understand it. Emotions and reactions happen. Lets not act like they dont. Especially in your line of work.

It's not worth arguing and risking your family's lives over something so minor. And yes, in Memphis arguing with another driver could very well mean life or death. Don't think for a second that you would come out clean in a shooting over a traffic violation.

I agree with deerslayer 100%. If you would have called the police in Memphis you would have been the one getting the ticket in the end. Following a officer in Memphis will get you thrown in the slammer. Most of the LEOS from that area I have meet a real di---. He showed you his babge because he new he was a piece of :poop:.

Dont sterotype MPD like that--the bad apples give the other 60% a bad name.

That's actually funny, although I do know some good MPD officers.

I work with some good MPD cops as well. The only problem I have with this story is that without knowing that the guy was 100% an officer the choice was made to assume.

This is a case of where if it was a Carry Permit Badge it only reinforces my theory that those things are only used for evil. :poop:

Guest meadowmb
Wow, what an intelligent generalization.

Break the Code of Silence!

Corruption runs very deep when it comes to Law Enforcement.

As we all know it very similar to gang or mob

activity when it comes to the

"Code of Silence"

If you are an Honest Police Officer and you know

of corruption going on and are not reporting it,

you may as well be committing the offense your self!

Help Restore the Peoples faith

in Law Enforcement!

One of the latest poles taken shows that 43%

of the American public have Lost Trust in our

Police officers.

That's almost half the population.

More people trust a used car sales man.

Yes, it is an immediate response and one that most people are likely to take in a vehicle when some one else shows bad behavior

Had this person started following me and making every single turn that I made, I would have gotten on the phone with the police and let them know that some one is following me and that I am headed for the nearest police substation. I would never let some one follow me home.

You have NEVER flipped some one off when driving? I find that hard to believe. Unless you are the pope or Mother Theresa, some time in your life I would bet $100 that you flipped some one off while driving. It is a reaction. Again, probably not the best one, but it was a reaction.

Would I do it again? Probably. Would I follow them to where they are going? Maybe. Would I try to get the tag number? You bet ya.

I have said my say and that will be the last of it.

I'll be expecting payment As soon as you have the funds available. Cash only, no checks or credit taken. You don't know me at all, especially enough to make such an ignorant bet. Don't assume because you make improper reactions to things that everyone else does.

And once again, no, flipping off someone is not a proper immediate reaction and not one most people would take.

My whole point to begin with was to think about your options before you act. You don't know what others are going to do and what kind of stupid things they are going to do when you respond that way. Be the better person and leave no doubts in the minds of others as to who the aggressor was.

JLowe,

I agree with MOST of what you said, my point in my reply to you was that you answered this thread on the defensive.

my point is that your approach was WAY off. There is no way anyone would know that a dud in a red truck is a cop..so Brian was NOT acting like "Billy bad ass to the Police"

And I dont believe for one second that you have not flipped someone off. Sorry.

I have read some of your posts, being an officer, a quality to which I completley admire, I have NO DOUBT that if you were off duty in Brians situation, that you would NOT go gently into the night. I would BET my paycheck that you would have given the dude a piece of your mind, or flashed your badge back at the idiot.

I dont agree with flipping off, but I understand it. Emotions and reactions happen. Lets not act like they dont. Especially in your line of work.

I don't know Brian from Adam's house cat. I do know that persons on the internet always like to bash officers and "prove" how tough, smarter, and have greater knowledge of the law all the time. I apologize to Brian for assuming that he may have been one of those persons.

On the other hand, No, I do not use either one of my middle fingers as means of communication to other drivers, off duty or not. See, being an officer gets you held to higher standards on how you supposed to act on and off duty. You know that as well as I do. Every time a officers acts like an idiot or makes a poor decision everybody wants to jump all over it and chew him a new one. So, I choose to not respond to others ignorance and stupidity with a like response. If something happens from an such an incident, there are always "witnesses" who want to come forward and "tell it like it happened". And they always remember everything how it happened as well. So, if your reactions are proper, you will not appear to be an aggressor as well (which violates a TN HCP and makes it useless), but a victim of anothers aggression and only protecting yourself and your family.

Corruption runs very deep when it comes to Law Enforcement.

As we all know it very similar to gang or mob

activity when it comes to the

"Code of Silence"

If you are an Honest Police Officer and you know

of corruption going on and are not reporting it,

you may as well be committing the offense your self!

Help Restore the Peoples faith

in Law Enforcement!

One of the latest poles taken shows that 43%

of the American public have Lost Trust in our

Police officers.

That's almost half the population.

More people trust a used car sales man.

This is the most ignorant post I have ever read. Quit using "The Shield" as your insight into law enforcement.

WOW!

Now did you flip the bird befor or after he flipped the badge?

Man I bet the wife was proud.I keep my cool pretty well most of the time but,I might have used the finger once.OK twice.