New/Old Hobby: What do you ride?

Smith

So, many years ago I briefly did some grassroots Mt. bike racing for KHS. Didn't amount to much except I really enjoyed it and they gave me a lot of cool stuff. Kids came along and couldn't find time for the bikes, races, and spandex anymore. Well, the kids are getting to the age where they can ride with me now, so I decided to jump back in. WOW how technology changed! Most of what is normal low end now, was super high end unobtanium back in the day. Mind you I started when full suspension was in its infancy and disc brakes were controversial. Anyway, loving my new Breezer Supercell (Expert). As my birthday approaches Monday, I'm confronted with the reality that I didn't get younger but I got a lot fatter and more out of shape!! Love riding the trails once again. Debated going road, but I stuck with my roots. Just love the woods much better than dodging traffic. Plus, a clydesdale on a road bike and spandex just looks SOOO wrong ;)

(Stock photo) I did swap the triple crank rings for a Race Face NW 32 single, new Continental X-King tires, and a tubeless setup. Other than that, I think I'm done with the mods. 

2015_Breezer_Supercell_Expert_Side.jpg

• Like 2

I gave up mountain biking a good while back. Still road biking though, started in 1976 and can't quit. Riding a 1999 Lemond Buenos Aires most of the time or a Burley Duet tandem with the better half. 6 other bikes in the garage to use at different times.

Nice bike! As you mentioned, bikes have come a long way. I bet you're loving the disc brakes and 29's.

Just think, now you have another mode of transportation that is EMP proof. :)

I adopted disk brakes early. At the time Hayes HFX were about it. I ran HFX-1s. Magura's were very pricey and Avid had mechanicals. However, then 29ers were a passing fad that had just been experimented with. [emoji3] This was 1998-99.

The 29's are definitely different than 26's. I was also surprised how much travel bikes are getting. I remember 120mm front or back being very much free ride territory and close to downhill range. Now, it's barely out of the cross country range.

ahhh Mr. Smith.   Soon as I take care of some things and get back in town....I'm so tempted to get a Mtn. Bike & did a lot of Mtn bike riding in my much younger days in CO ...., but working a few years in MD at a shop has almost pretty much ruined me.  No matter how great the deal, I'll always know some of those prices are still so high.    Sigh, at least I got some great accessories, goodies, and well 2 bikes left from my time in the industry... I'll let cha know if I do get/ build ?  a Mtn. bike though, maybe we can do some 'riding.'.... for now, the 'road' still calls me out all the time.  Giddy Up! 

Nice set-up btw (on your new ride)