Terror medicine

IMG_0635_zps5fzwbdan.jpg

Just finished up on a project I've been tinkering with.  Can't wait to try it out this weekend.

It's a Belgian FN Mauser [Columbian Contract] on 30/06.  It was sporterized when I got it so I just cleaned it up and ran with it.  Changed the firing pin out with a speedlok kit, new pin and spring & added a Bold trigger.  The trigger is SWEET!  Removed the military rear sight sleeve completely and drilled and tapped it for a receiver sight.  Kept the straight bolt handle and the rear sight even allows me to use the charger guide.

After nearly a whole pack of patches I got the copper fouling out.  It was bad.  

I will be running a Lyman 311157 cast from air cooled wheel weights.  It's a plain base flat nose. Sized them down to .303, just over BORE diameter. Two wraps of 25% cotton paper soaked in water and dried over night, then a very light finger coat of Johnson's Paste wax and final sizing to .311, just over groove diameter.  

Using jacketed load data for 168g bullet I opted for AA4350 which will give me a 100% case fill for the velocity I aim shooting for, around 2700 fps.  Unlike conventional lube/gas check style loading, paper patching will let you push a lead bullet to jacketed velocity.  It's just VERY labor intensive.  I spent several hours just getting my patch template right.  Total time in (20) loaded rounds was a little over 2 hours.  I'll get faster eventually.  This is my first go 'round with paper patching.

This should be quite devastating on large game and even terrorists.  I figure they wrap their head in cotton, I will too!

• Like 1

Cool.  :up:

Your cleaning experience sounds like the first time I cleaned my yugo mauser.  I thought I was finally getting somewhere when the patches began to fade from diesel oil black to gray.  Then they started turning green.  I had quite a pile of dirty patches when it was finally clean.