Hornady Superformance SST Ammunition 270 Winchester 130 Grain

Been having issues getting my .270 sighted in this year.

.270 Remington, model 7400.

(semi auto)

for years we only shot .270 Winchester silver tips before they changed them.

So this year, I thought I would try the Hornay. 

I have had it to the range a few times in the past month,  start getting it close to target at 50 years but at 100 it seems to just spray like a shot gun.

I was of the mind set it much be the scope.  (30 year old bushnell)  So i brought a Nikcon 3x9x50mm  looks sharp.

went to the range today.  took forever to get it on target at 50 yards again,   still not getting a good pattern at all at 100 yard

I am wondering if that Superformance ammo is just 2 fast for this gun.

I just brought up some Winchester 270 extreme point which is back down to the 3060 range (closer to what we used to buy)

Question, do you guys think it is possible the Superformance was just 2 fast for my semi auto?

I am cleaning it up again tonight and going to take it out again tomorrow hoping to have it sighted in better for opening day this Saturday.

Check the crown for damage, even a little nick can cause problems. Check for bore build up also.

I do have a bore brush and keep the bore clean. 

the Crown appears fine, checked with nice bright LED.  Inside of barrel to my untrained eye appears fine as well.

Before I started reloading .270 I shoot a boat load of hornady light mag 130 now superformance thru my Winchester Ranger. I know a cheap 30 year old replica of the model 70. Damn sweet tho. I also bought my grand son a savage that loves the superformance 130 gr SST. Each of the above will hold a pattern regardless of number fired. My brother has a 30 yr old ruger model 77 that Is dead on for the first shot with any .270 ammo as long as it's 130 grain. It cannot shoot two rounds together for for the love of money. For some reason the barrel flexes. You have to let the barrel cool for 10 mins or so. Then it's dead on again. Two back to back and it 5-6 inches off the second shot. Not sure it's to fast, it just may be to hot. I'd let it cool 10 or 15 min and see if that makes a difference.

Clean gun is a good start. Like to here back how it went.

I will report back, may be a few days as I am suppose to be on the road tomorow leaving work now I have an extra trip to the range. 

I won't shoot at a deer with it until I feel better about where it is going to hit.

Luap

I was at first letting it cool some between shots.  It is 30 year old .270 Remington.  It has mostly been a safe queen.  It has probably been shot more last month then it has ever been shot or at least close.

My sporterized 1903 was dead accurate for years then it got sporatic. I was using the same ammo and nothing changed (so I thought). I would clean it, inspect it, I changed the scope, I tried different ammo. I was getting frustrated, and the rifle was just all over the place. I thought maybe the barrel was shot out. Then I discovered a slightly loose action screw... the rear screw was just loose enough to allow the forearm to contact the bbl when shooting from the bench. I tightened the screw and got my free float back. It groups sub MOA at 100 again. Yours might be something simple too. As Smokin said, check all your screws. How does it group with different ammo? Edited by Wingshooter

Friday it only took half a box to get on target both 50 and 100 yards with Winchester 130gr. Saturday evening one 75 yard shot dropped a button buck in its tracks. Guess thus gun needs to stay Winchester. More later when at a PC.

Happy to here your rifle is shooting fine. Ammo can certainly have an affect with a rifle that is finicky. Congrats on your deer.

• Like 1

Add  a 10 point buck to my count.  Biggest deer I ever got.

It was a sweet 25 yard shot.

Dad got an 8 point back in Muzzle loader season that had a bigger rack but my 10 point was the heaviest deer I have ever got.  Estimate 175 to 200 pounds.

2 bad, it broke one of his antlers as it fell or hit a tree.  A neighbor kid that was in the area hunting found it for me.  So I am able to count the full 10, with out the missing part I think I would have had to count it as a 7 point.

I will try to get a picture shared later.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

OK with Season over, here are the stats.

Before season about 4-6 boxes of hornady-superformance-sst-ammunition-270-winchester-130-grain.  Trying to get my .270 on target at 100 yards.

I even believed I had a bad Scope.  Brought a new Scope that didn't help.

Went back to Winchester, Winchester 130gr. ( Winchester Deer season XP Extreme Point).  Half box to be on target at .50 and 100 yards.

In the woods,

1.  Button Buck at about 75 yards.  1 Shot, Fell in tracks.

2.  10 Point Buck at about 25 yards.  1 Shot, ran about 100 yards down a hill,

3.   Big Doe, 1 shot about 75 yards.  1 Shot, ran about 100 yards down a steep mountain.

I am disappointed in Hornady's performance in my gun.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally talked to Hornady Customer service/tech tonight.  He told me that my model gun is known to not shoot these bullets well.  That the gas system in the Remington model 7400 just can't handle it.

Bit confused, I know very little about gas systems in guns, one reason I haven't started my AR build yet.  Didn't even know  my model 7400 had one.  (I need to do some research).

Either way, an expensive lesson over all.  So I am going to finish my education in this course learning a bit more about my model and try to finish with a passing grade.

Hmm, I wouldn't think the gas system would change POI, the bullet should be long gone before the action has any chance to effect it.  It's good you have an accurate round to go to, just make sure you stock up before Remington decides to shelf it.  And the deer you harvested gave you a passing grade already.

• Like 1

I have a Kimber Classic in .270 that only likes Federal premium (Nosler ballistic tip) 130 gr.  Win. PP next best.  My 6.5 Creedmoor does not shoot the Hornady ammo well and I have yet to read of anyone who has had great success with the Hornady ammo.