Howard Leight Impact Sport OD Electric Earmuff

As seen here:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7QJ9O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I know that these earmuffs are a very common piece of kit, and a more than a few of you will either have a pair, or know someone who does.  So, why the review?  Simple, I've had my pair for over five years, and they've held up fantastically, despite me being an idiot recently. 

Now, while I do rotate them with a Peltor 6s pair, my Howard Leight's have seen more than the expected use I thought I'd get out of them when I bought a pair in early 2010.  I bought them for use while traveling between Iraq & Kuwait, brought them back home and have used them at the range countless times, and even loaned them to others for shooting, but their toughness was recently shown to me.  I would have taken them to Afghanistan as well, but forgot to set them aside when movers packed up my apartment, so I had to get the Peltors to take there.

But back to the Howard Leight's.  I like to wear them with my earbuds on underneath while I mow the lawn.  Well, a few weeks ago, I left them outside after forgetting them when putting my mower back in the storage closet outside of my house.  Literally left them outside for a week an a half, and those of you in Middle Tennessee know we've seen plenty of rain and temperature changes.  When I saw them out there, I thought for sure the electronic features of them were gone, and at best they were just another normal pair...I was wrong.  They fired right up, and the noise reduction feature works just fine like before.  These things can handle my whoops moment and still keep going.

So, while I still use my Peltors as my primary range kit, my Howard Leight's have more than earned a place in my kit bag, and I wanted to share this in case anyone was wondering if they are worth the price.  Your results may vary, but I'd give them the BTQ thumbs up.

• Like 5

Excellent info. Good to know they're durable.

One question. Do they actually reduce noise, or simply cut out during loud sounds?

Little of both, with more towards the latter if I had to gauge it.  The noise allowed in is adjustable, not just an off/on switch, so you can control how loud it gets.

One thing I love them for is when I take people shooting for the first time.  I make sure to turn them on so I can give them instructions and safety commands and have them hear it perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the Howard Leight Impact Sports as well. I admit they are a great value. However, the one thing I don't like about them is that the electronic filter cuts out during live fire so you get continuous interruptions when trying to talk to somebody. It's like someone is hitting a mute button on and off constantly. I still have them, but have switched over to the Peltor Tactical Sports which do not have the above mentioned issue. Edited by MrJones79

I have the Howard Leight Impact Sports as well. I admit they are a great value. However, the one thing I don't like about them is that the electronic filter cuts out during live fire so you get continuous interruptions when trying to talk to somebody. It's like someone is hitting a mute button on and off constantly. I still have them, but have switched over to the Peltor Tactical Sports which do not have the above mentioned issue.

I had the same issue with the peltors, they were more sensitive than the HLs, and would cut out at the slightest elevated noise.  The HLs were a bit more sensitive to low noises microphone wise so amplified better so I kept them for hunting.

I had the same issue with the peltors, they were more sensitive than the HLs, and would cut out at the slightest elevated noise. The HLs were a bit more sensitive to low noises microphone wise so amplified better so I kept them for hunting.

That's odd. You may have had model without that feature or a defective set. The not cutting out of low level noise is actually listed as feature.

That's odd. You may have had model without that feature or a defective set. The not cutting out of low level noise is actually listed as feature.

Possible, but I noticed they would react to snapped fingers.  I would of been fine with them if they would have amplified better then the Howard Leights but I was looking for hunting noise amplifiers and they just weren't as good.  I did notice at the last meet and shoot at MCSC that under the roof they were quite loud with the volume up and with the shooting glasses on they would not seal as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent those back.....I have hearing loss and If I didn't use ear plugs with them my ears would be ringing and ears killing me.    If I used foam ear plugs with them then I couldn't hear anyone talking.

So I ordered these instead http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-R-01902-Amplification-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B007BGSI5U/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1450055225&sr=1-3&keywords=Howard+Leight+Impact+Sport+OD+Electric+Earmuff ....I don't have to use ear plugs with them.....even with the volume turned down low I can hear people talking on the other side of the range..they don't cut out when the guns go off.  No ringing ears or pain!!!

Edited by ou812