1911 feeding issues with new SR1911

I hear that man, cant beat a Glock even the haters know that.

1911s are usually really good - I do have a feeling it has more to do with break in now.

Keep us updated hope it unf--ks itself

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Well I can't help but to tinker so I went out and bought some 800 and 1000 grit sandpaper along with some mothers mag polish. I polished up the feed ramp along with the barrel ramp and inside of the chamber. I colored a round red and chambered it to see where the contact points were and made sure to polish those spots very well with special attention to not change any angles.

Out of 100 rounds I only had one hang up on the very last round of a Wilson 47D mag but that may very well have been limp wristing. No more failures to feed when racking it manually and it also fed Federal HST's with no problem. Oddly enough it fed them better and smoother. 

I almost think the issue may have been stemming from not only the things I have corrected or fixed so far but from ammo that isn't crimped enough. Almost like when the bullet hits the ramp it's pushed in enough that rather than going up like it should it is staying lower on the ramp just long enough for the barrel to go forward and get ahead of the whole process thus causing a 3 point jam. I won't claim to know the in's and out's of the platform but I think through all of this I am gaining an understanding of how it works.

I will put another couple hundred rounds through it before I feel confident to put it on bedside duty but I am happy to have smoothed it out.

• Like 1

Well I can't help but to tinker so I went out and bought some 800 and 1000 grit sandpaper along with some mothers mag polish. I polished up the feed ramp along with the barrel ramp and inside of the chamber. I colored a round red and chambered it to see where the contact points were and made sure to polish those spots very well with special attention to not change any angles.

Out of 100 rounds I only had one hang up on the very last round of a Wilson 47D mag but that may very well have been limp wristing. No more failures to feed when racking it manually and it also fed Federal HST's with no problem. Oddly enough it fed them better and smoother.

I almost think the issue may have been stemming from not only the things I have corrected or fixed so far but from ammo that isn't crimped enough. Almost like when the bullet hits the ramp it's pushed in enough that rather than going up like it should it is staying lower on the ramp just long enough for the barrel to go forward and get ahead of the whole process thus causing a 3 point jam. I won't claim to know the in's and out's of the platform but I think through all of this I am gaining an understanding of how it works.

I will put another couple hundred rounds through it before I feel confident to put it on bedside duty but I am happy to have smoothed it out.

Right on brother Im glad that you have been slowly eliminating points of failure

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Ya need a 1911 smith to take a look at this pistola...

leroy

I won't disagree with that. All of the reputable ones are in Nashville that unknown of though. I'm gonna put about 500 more through it and note the results. Depending on how that goes I may just have to make a drive or mail it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1