Free Plaxico Burress

Guest nraforlife

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let him go to jail for breaking several laws. Even if he had a permit he carried it into a BAR, then DRANK ALCOHOL, then shot himself with an unholstered firearm. Yes, I understand you don't have to use a holster, but don't most responsible carriers use a holster and a belt? Not a Glock in sweatpants? That's another thing...WHO THE HELL WEARS SWEATS TO A NIGHTCLUB?!

Now I think the guy has a right to carry and a right to defend himself, but he was irresponsible and broke the law. Even if he had been in Florida with a permit he would have broken several laws. I don't want Plaxico as a poster boy for gun rights.

If any member of this forum or an average joe had done that crap we'd have ran up a 15 page thread calling for his/her head.

We all know that the New York gun laws are absolutely retarded, but if this fool were carrying in any other state in a bar while drinking, he would still go to jail. The only reason anyone is complaining about it is that he is a star player for the Giants. Anyone of us doing that would still be in jail and not going anywhere for a while. Screw him, if your going to carry, follow the laws.

I watch where I take my gun and will not carry where it is unlawful. And if I did would the news paper or news try to get me off. I dont think so. So let him do his time, he earned it.

It is legal to carry in a bar in several states.

It is also legal to carry and have an alcoholic drink* in some states**

* a drink, not intoxicated

** IN, NH, NE

It is legal to carry in a bar in several states.

It is also legal to carry and have an alcoholic drink* in some states**

* a drink, not intoxicated

** IN, NH, NE

I'm fine with that. If it's legal, it's legal. The problem is what this doofus did and where he did it was not legal.

I can't figure out why these bloggers are trying to turn him into a martyr for the gun rights cause at the same time 3 people, one of which is a police chief, are being indicted over a tragic accident. It's like internal sabotage...

Let him serve the time. I agree that he should not be the poster child for gun rights, when he was plainly breaking the law. As others have said, if he was a gun off the street, he would already be making friends with someone named bubba in a cell.

I'm sort of split on this whole thing.

As far as I know...his only crime is simply having the weapon without a permit. From what I can tell it is not against the law to have a handgun in a place that sells alcohol for onsite consumption in NY, if you have a permit. I can't find anything for sure about consuming alcohol, but as others have posted that is legal in several states. Mode of carry and location, while maybe stupid, weren't illegal.

But....if this was any other Joe it wouldn't even be in the news and they'd be in jail, no questions asked.

Simply put, he broke the law, whether you agree with the law or not. I'm sure he knew the law, knew his was breaking it, got caught and now should have to face the consequences.

I think overall I'd rather support reforming the law, not his breaking of it.

he should go to jail for the max term... and i hope he does.

i'm a native new yorker (moved to TN last year...), and you'd have to be dumber than a boxed rock to not know you where breaking several laws if you put yourself in a position anyway near what Plaxico did.

the gun laws in NY are maybe the most strict in the USA... nevermind alcohol or no alcohol, getting a carry permit when not LE or Military is difficult, expensive, and time consuming... and the gun was unregistered! it surely didn't fall out of the sky so he must have aquired it illegally, with is a crime unto itself.

whether anyone agrees with the laws there or not, it's common knowledge that having an unlicensed firearm carries strict and severe mandatory sentences... there are huge billboards all around NYC and signs in the subways and other public places letting everyone know it.... also, he had a permit that had expired from Fl, so he clearly knew that a permit might be required even if he tries to play ignorant.

this guy willfully broke the law, and quite possibly could have killed somebody, that combined with the fact that he could have very easily hired a couple of security guards with carry permits who work with celebrities to look after him (he just signed a 35 million dollar contract....) if he felt threatened.....

he acted like a criminal and should be treated as such.

Guest nraforlife

NPL All-Star... National Penal League. He and Michael Vick are going to be All-Pros. O.J is head coach, Maurice Clarett is a running back and the list goes on....

he should go to jail for the max term... and i hope he does.

i'm a native new yorker (moved to TN last year...), and you'd have to be dumber than a boxed rock to not know you where breaking several laws if you put yourself in a position anyway near what Plaxico did.

the gun laws in NY are maybe the most strict in the USA... nevermind alcohol or no alcohol, getting a carry permit when not LE or Military is difficult, expensive, and time consuming... and the gun was unregistered! it surely didn't fall out of the sky so he must have aquired it illegally, with is a crime unto itself.

whether anyone agrees with the laws there or not, it's common knowledge that having an unlicensed firearm carries strict and severe mandatory sentences... there are huge billboards all around NYC and signs in the subways and other public places letting everyone know it.... also, he had a permit that had expired from Fl, so he clearly knew that a permit might be required even if he tries to play ignorant.

this guy willfully broke the law, and quite possibly could have killed somebody, that combined with the fact that he could have very easily hired a couple of security guards with carry permits who work with celebrities to look after him (he just signed a 35 million dollar contract....) if he felt threatened.....

he acted like a criminal and should be treated as such.

Actually, none of my guns are registered, and they were all acquired legally. Not every state requires you to register your guns.

As for Burress himself, yeah, he's probably an ass clown. BUT...

The way I see it, the only thing he did wrong was not use a holster. Did he break the law? Yes, so I guess that means "he acted like a criminal." But where the law is unjust, "acting like a criminal" and "acting like a decent citizen" are not mutually exclusive.

Guest Revelator

The writer could have chosen a better title for the article, for sure. The bigger picture, beyond Burress, is the difficult New York gun laws. In my opinion the writer is dreaming if they think the Supreme Court will find New York's carry laws unconstitutional. I wish I could say otherwise but I'm trying to just look at the reality of it. I'd have to parse through the Heller opinion to get a better idea of how they might handle it, but I don't see the High Court taking issue with the New York's residency requirement or the arbitrariness of their system. I simply don't think that they would rule there's a constitutional right to a state-issued license to carry a handgun. I think they'd take one look at that and say we're leaving that up to each state.

Guest nraforlife

The carry laws in NYC are racist in origin but into place to keep the immigrants arriving from Europe under some sort of 'control'. But, be that as it may, it is what it is and until NYC gets an enema and the crap is flushed out nothing is going to change carry wise.

The writer could have chosen a better title for the article, for sure. The bigger picture, beyond Burress, is the difficult New York gun laws. In my opinion the writer is dreaming if they think the Supreme Court will find New York's carry laws unconstitutional. I wish I could say otherwise but I'm trying to just look at the reality of it. I'd have to parse through the Heller opinion to get a better idea of how they might handle it, but I don't see the High Court taking issue with the New York's residency requirement or the arbitrariness of their system. I simply don't think that they would rule there's a constitutional right to a state-issued license to carry a handgun. I think they'd take one look at that and say we're leaving that up to each state.

I'm afraid I agree...

NPL All-Star... National Penal League. He and Michael Vick are going to be All-Pros. O.J is head coach, Maurice Clarett is a running back and the list goes on....

You left out Pac Man Jones.

Plaxico makes us Glock owners look like thugs. Let him rot in jail.

I've always hated that "pro" athletes can get away with a lot of things that "ordinary" people cannot. The one person that always comes to mind to me is Darryl Strawberry. (I spent most of the 80's in NJ and Philly) How many times did this knucklehead get caught doing various "crimes", including domestic violence and substance abuse, but was allowed to continue playing baseball?

Pro athletes are supposed to be role models to our impressionable youths. They get paid in a year more than most of us will make in a lifetime, yet they show our kids that it's OK to carry guns, use drugs, beat your spouse, etc. There are a few athletes that should be locked up permanently.

I'm stepping down off my soapbox now. :rolleyes:

My dear departed grandfather used to have a saying . .

"Never give out bullets to persons with empty guns . . . they will use your bullet to shoot you."

PacMan and Plaxico were so busy handing out bullets to persons who wanted to shoot them, who is not surprised they got "shot?"

Why in the world you have to get rich in the NFL and go out to bars and clubs to have "fun" and get in trouble is a mystery to me . . .

Hells bells, I can get in enough trouble at home all by myself!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pro athletes are supposed to be role models to our impressionable youths. They get paid in a year more than most of us will make in a lifetime, yet they show our kids that it's OK to carry guns, use drugs, beat your spouse, etc. There are a few athletes that should be locked up permanently.

I'm stepping down off my soapbox now. :D

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Plaxico makes us Glock owners look like thugs. Let him rot in jail.

Granted Anti-'s can be small minded, but I don't think even they would think all that own a particular make of weapon are all the same.

Pro athletes are supposed to be role models to our impressionable youths.

They may end up being role models, but by no means are the supposed to be role models. Not sure anyone but parents are supposed to be role models for their children.

They may end up being role models, but by no means are the supposed to be role models. Not sure anyone but parents are supposed to be role models for their children.

OK, let me rephrase ... Kids look up to Pro athletes. They try to emulate them.

Edited by SpacemanSpiff