Trust God or carry?

Guest Hooker

This question was presented in another forum. Some Christians are happy to live in a violent society with no defense....just trust God and all will be well. I'd rather trust and carry.

What say you?

I responded with this and if I had more time and space would have gone on, but thought it would be more interesting in this thread.

There are several instances in the Bible where people were sent in to battle with a weapon and they were told to trust God and protect themselves. I TRUST that God wants me to carry or he would not have provided me with the resources to have a permit or a firearm for that matter.

I work in an environment that involves some cash handling and dealing with people that have been accused of a crime on a daily basis. It is my duty to protect myself while taking care of the business at hand. I dont carry for others to know that I am carrying, 98% of the people I am around everyday dont even know that I am.

I agree that one should be well educated and well rehearsed in the operation and proper use of a firearm.

Be safe and Be prepared

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This question was presented in another forum. Some Christians are happy to live in a violent society with no defense....just trust God and all will be well. I'd rather trust and carry.

What say you?

I responded with this and if I had more time and space would have gone on, but thought it would be more interesting in this thread.

There are several instances in the Bible where people were sent in to battle with a weapon and they were told to trust God and protect themselves. I TRUST that God wants me to carry or he would not have provided me with the resources to have a permit or a firearm for that matter.

I work in an environment that involves some cash handling and dealing with people that have been accused of a crime on a daily basis. It is my duty to protect myself while taking care of the business at hand. I dont carry for others to know that I am carrying, 98% of the people I am around everyday dont even know that I am.

I agree that one should be well educated and well rehearsed in the operation and proper use of a firearm.

Be safe and Be prepared

I am a FIRM believer that the good Lord has given the ability to make important decisions concerning our lives and the lives of those we are entrusted with. While I have faith that He truely watches after me and protects me, I also think He requires me to use the noggin he gave me and make choices that require my action as well. Protecting yourself from BG's I belive is one of those choices. Simply saying "I trust God will protect me" imho is naive. I therefore trust God to "Guide me" in ALL situation, even to the point of pointing a weapon.

I'm thankful that God has given me the ability and the tools to protect my family. Plus the promise that if something happened to me in the process that theres nothing to fear.

even if something happens, what's the worse that would happen? you are then in HIS presence and therefore never have use for firearms again:up:

Guest Boomhower

I've always said that the good lord has given us all common sense, whether or not we use it is up to us. As of late, I have began to question my theory.

even if something happens, what's the worse that would happen? you are then in HIS presence and therefore never have use for firearms again:up:

That means I would be in hell...heaven for me will include a daily 3-gun match.

I had a conversation very similar to this one a while back with a friend who believes in Calvinistic Predestination. This friend believes that if it's your time to go, then it's your time to go--it was decided before you were ever born, and there's nothing you can do about it. I responded that if I believed that, I would go skydiving every weekend, drive 90 mph everywhere I went, never buy insurance, and be a hellion in general. If it's God's plan for me or my family to get killed by a thug, then I'll do my best to botch his plans.

I've always said that the good lord has given us all common sense, whether or not we use it is up to us. As of late, I have began to question my theory.

don't abandon that theory. remember "free will of man". remember some people just expect others to take care of them, this sometimes includes the man above, thinking "if i have faith, i'll be ok", well, i believe the man upstair will take care of me, i just hope he holds my hands steady if i ever have to face that reality!

I had a conversation very similar to this one a while back with a friend who believes in Calvinistic Predestination. This friend believes that if it's your time to go, then it's your time to go--it was decided before you were ever born, and there's nothing you can do about it. I responded that if I believed that, I would go skydiving every weekend, drive 90 mph everywhere I went, never buy insurance, and be a hellion in general. If it's God's plan for me or my family to get killed by a thug, then I'll do my best to botch his plans.

that calvinistic theory is one of the oldest and toughest to address, i do believe when its my time to go, its my time to go. if i'm faced with one of the situations you mentioned and survived, then it wasn't my time to go!

If God intervened directly in life in general I would be fine with not carrying. But that is not how it works.

+1

ftn,

I'm no Biblical scholar, but I believe the Calinist theory is baloney, and I told my friend (actually more like acquaintance) the same.

Edited by deerslayer

wow, this thread could get deep. again i retreat to the "free will of man", being given to ability to make his/her own choices. do i believe that if someone shoots at me will the bullet somehow miraculously be stopped just because i believe God will protect me, pa-lee-se! i think those types of miracles stopped a long time ago. "even though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, i will fear no evil, for though are with me....". trusting in God, fearing no evil, carrying my XD

Guest colrmccoll

I have always made the analogy, in answer to this hypothesis, "Do you go to the doctor when sick?"

I know that there are some who do not because they "trust in God" but they are a very small minority of faith. But I go to the doctor to get well and I pray at the same time. Divine healing is quite possible but I don't count on it and do not see that as a lack of faith.

I work to eat knowing full well that God could provide for me if He so chose.

He admonishes me to work, so I do to feed my family.

When I go out and am strapping on what I carry, I always say a prayer that I will not have to use it. I would prefer divine protection over a confrontation but I am fully prepared to do my part. There are bad guys out there who would exercise their free will to try to harm to me or my family.

Guest Bronker

In a nutshell, I believe God CAN do anything, and WILL do anything. But just as in free will, He chooses to NOT do everything in my life. He grants me wisdom and judgement, and provides a means to do some of this myself. And He expects me to exercise it. He saved me, and that's enough.

I pray every day that God keeps me safe at work, but I wear a Ballistic vest.

I pray that God keeps me safe when I drive, but I wear my seatbelt.

Theme established I assume. God gave us a brain and free will. We have a choice of how to live our lives. I believe God knows exactly when we will die and from what, but I think the choices we make our still ours and God gave us those decisions to make.

Guest Bronker

Theme established I assume. God gave us a brain and free will. We have a choice of how to live our lives. I believe God knows exactly when we will die and from what, but I think the choices we make our still ours and God gave us those decisions to make.

Pun, that is awesome. Exactly what I think we are all trying to say. +1

Your friends views are not Calvinism. It's hyperCalvinism. Calvin was not a fatalist.

I consider myself a Calvinist (at least a 4.5 pointer :)). Just as I believe that God is fully three and fully one, and just as I believe that Jesus was fully God and fully man, I also believe that God is 100% sovereign AND man is accountable for his actions.

Not necessarily wanting to start a religious debate, but your friend has been mislabeled.

As to the issue at hand, in Exodus 14, Moses is praying for god to save the Israelites from the pursuing Egyptian army. God basically tells him "Stop praying and get moving." When Nehemiah is rebuilding Jerusalem, the workers are told to work with a sword in one hand. Jesus told his disciples if they didn't have a sword, get one.

I am pretty clear with my conscience on my decision to carry.

absolutely!!