Comm's XL650 Review

Back in November I did a review of the two Square Deals I had (http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/92033-comms-dillon-square-deal-b-review/) and have since sold them both and upgraded to an XL650. I have had it for about 5 months now and loaded a few thousand rounds and now feel I have a comprehensive feel for it. Hopefully this review will help you decide if you want to go and drop the cash for the XL650 or stay with something smaller like the Square Deal "B", RL550 or even a Hornady LnL AP or Lee Loadmaster.

**HERE IS THE XL650 MANUAL: http://dillonhelp.com/Dillon%20Manual%20PDFs/XL650v6p1.pdf**

[URL=http://s907.photobucket.com/user/TheGreatShank/media/Shellplate.jpg.html]Shellplate.jpg[/URL]

For those who do not know the XL650 is a five-station, auto-indexing progressive press made by Dillon Precision. It features automatic priming, automatic powder dispensing (unless you used a different unit), it has means for a case-feeder to be attached. So in layman's terms: this press will put in a case automatically, it has 5 slots for dies (you can attach a bullet feeder for a more automated process) and as long as you feed it primers and powder it will make ammo as fast as you can pull the lever.

It also comes with a life-time "No BS" warranty - I have broken, snapped, blown up and lost more parts than I care to admit and they always priority mail me parts no matter what I did.

There are plenty of extra parts you can add to the press such as a "Strong Mount" which acts as a 6" riser so you do not have to place it on the edge of a bench, bullet tray, LED lightbars or spotlight at the top of the toolhead, the case-feeder and it has means to have a powder check/bullet feeder/trim die. You can swap out the primer punch for a Swaging unit (IIRC Dillon says it'll void the warranty if you send it in for a rebuild - unlikely). The press also has oil zerk fittings on it for quick lubing, and comes apart pretty easy for maintenance.

IMHO to take full advantage of the XL650 you NEED a case feeder. Dillon makes a unit for $219 - BudgetReloader has one for $179 or you can build your own as I wanted to do - but I'd rather have something guaranteed to work versus a Frankenstein that would need constant tweaking to ensure it worked correctly. The Dillon unit has two speeds, adjustable motor torque and automatic shutoff.

[URL=http://s907.photobucket.com/user/TheGreatShank/media/case%20feeder%20front.jpg.html]case%20feeder%20front.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s907.photobucket.com/user/TheGreatShank/media/casefeeder%20inside.jpg.html]casefeeder%20inside.jpg[/URL]

It is physically impossible to load faster than the case-feeder, even with it on "low speed" setting - it'll feed about 25 in the feeding tube - so do not worry about it keeping pace with you. The only complaint I'd have (if you call it that) is that you have to make sure the tube is pressed all the way into the fitting (see pic below) - otherwise the auto-shutoff tab will hang up and it will not continue to feed cases (it has happened to me a few times) - just a small quirk. The case-feeding attachment can also wobble out of place if you shake the hell out of the press - that usually happens when the case belling encounters friction coming out of the cases.

[URL=http://s907.photobucket.com/user/TheGreatShank/media/case%20indexer%20top.jpg.html]case%20indexer%20top.jpg[/URL]

The next part of emphasis is the powder die. It bells the case and feeds the powder at the same time. It is adjusted by a 7/8" nut in the powder bar - there are 4 different sizes of powder bars

1. Extra Small – use for dropping less than 3 grains of powder.

2. Small – use for dropping 3 to 20 grains of powder.

3. Large – use for dropping 20 to approx. 45-50 grains of powder.

4. Magnum – use for dropping more than approx. 45-50 grains of powder.

I got the Small powder bar (for Pistol) to drop 2.4gr of Titegroup, I have never used the Extra-Small. Swapping them out is decently easy - if there is one upgrade that is worth getting is the UniqueTek micrometer powder bar adjustment kit (http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1231) - to those who say you cannot make precision ultra-match ammo on the XL650 you're lying - add that with some Redding Comp dies and you can produce great ammo. 

[URL=http://s907.photobucket.com/user/TheGreatShank/media/powder%20drop%20top.jpg.html]powder%20drop%20top.jpg[/URL]

The hopper holds about 1/2 a pound - obviously that depends on the type of powder (extruded, grain, stick, chunks, or stuff) - and honestly I have used Unique/800-X, AutoComp, TiteGroup and Power Pistol among other types of pistol powder and NEVER had a metering problem. The one issue I have heard of is "bridging" when using stick powders for rifle - more the fact that if you go too fast all the powder will not clear the tube. A helpful tip is the put a strip of dryer sheet in the hopper to avoid static and to polish up the lips of the mouth beller (or whatever its called) with some 1200 grit sandpaper.

The one issue you will have is making sure you use the fail-safe bar - the newer factory builds that uses a two piece bell-crank assembly will not snap back to neutreal no matter how many return springs/rubber bangs you use - using the fail-safe rod is a MUST. However - do not tighten that nut down too much - or it'll slowly seperate the bell bank away from the main powder assembly and snap it in half (ask me how I know)

[URL=http://s907.photobucket.com/user/TheGreatShank/media/Powder%20Drop%20Failsafe%20Rod.jpg.html]Powder%20Drop%20Failsafe%20Rod.jpg[/URL]

The priming system in the XL650 is done by feeding into a rotary disk - it primes on the up stroke (when you push the handle forward) - It has a real tactile feel to it so you (most likely) will not blow up a primer or crush one. The XL650 comes stock with a disk and punch for both large and small primers - I have used Win, CCI, S&B and Wolf and had not had a problem with any of them (just pistol at least). 

[URL=http://s907.photobucket.com/user/TheGreatShank/media/priming%20system.jpg.html]priming%20system.jpg[/URL]

Unlike the Square Deal "B" - if you miss a case (say you had to throw one out b/c it was crimped or a .40SW in your 10mm) the disk will rotate the primer out of place and send it down a ramp. There are after market upgrades that put them in a cup versus a slide - sometimes they'll pop out and end up on your floor and blow up your vacuum...

[URL=http://s907.photobucket.com/user/TheGreatShank/media/spent%20primer%20catch.jpg.html]spent%20primer%20catch.jpg[/URL]

The XL650 comes stock with a low primer warning buzzer - it is invaluable there is nothing worse than missing a primer and shooting Titegroup all over your press internals. A pro-tip is to slide a 45 case over the follower so it adds more down-weight for the primers to feed (sometimes they'll feed upside down or sideways and bind up the rotary disk if they do not feed right)

[URL=http://s907.photobucket.com/user/TheGreatShank/media/priming%20alarm.jpg.html]priming%20alarm.jpg[/URL]

The thing I love about the XL650 is how easy it is to swap out toolheads. It is only held in by two pins (but it not flimsy) so if you invest in a quick change kit (separate toolhead with powder assembly) you can switch out calibers in about 10 minutes or less.

[URL=http://s907.photobucket.com/user/TheGreatShank/media/toolhead%20birdseye.jpg.html]toolhead%20birdseye.jpg[/URL]

Station 3 is usually where you would put a "specialty" die - a lockout/powder check, a bullet feeder, a trimmer, a neck sizing die or custom made neck lube die. Typically you can run them like:

1 - Resize/Deprime              1. Resize/Deprime                 1. Resize/Deprime

2- Prime/Powder                  2. Prime/Powder                    2. Prime/Powder

3 - Powder Check                3. Bullet Feeder                     3. Powder Check

4 - Seat                                4. Seat                                   4. Bullet Feed

5 - Crimp                              5. Crimp                                 5. Seat/Crimp Combo

[URL=http://s907.photobucket.com/user/TheGreatShank/media/Toolhead%20Top.jpg.html]Toolhead%20Top.jpg[/URL]

The only complaint I have is that the Lee crimp die (for pistol at least) is not long enough so you have to put the lock ring on the bottom - which looks super crazy. In the center you can put an InLine Fabrication spot light to get a look at the inside of your cases in case you do not use a powder check die. Really solidly built.

Other than that the press with a casefeeder runs you about $750 - so about $800 with dies you can be fully setup for loading in one caliber. Extras such as the Powder Check die ($60), Strong Mount ($45) will obviously add more - but with the lifetime warranty, extra station, and ruggedness of the XL650 it is hard to beat. 

I recommend it over the SDB/550 if you are loading in decent bulk (shooting around 2k a month) - of course it is all on the operator, with the casefeeder and feeding bullets by hand I can do about 700 an hour running slowly, if there is one thing to invest in it would be extra primer pickup tubes - 4 packs run $23 so they're pretty affordable as the machine only comes with one of each size.

Conversions take about 10 minutes using a quick change kit - which run about $170 (includes a new toolhead, powder assembly, conversion kit and toolhead stand) - you can save money just buying a new toolhead and conversion kit and moving the powder die and readjusting it which would take about 20-25 minutes. There is nothing saying you cannot use a cheaper powder system like the Lee Auto-Drum or something else.

As far as upkeep goes I use Castrol High Mileage 10W-40 oil on the ram and on the indexer. I also keep a can of compressed air handy to blow off little powder and brass shavings so it does not gum up the indexer. Some recommend lithium grease on the internal ram parts like the indexing detent and other bearings - as long as you take care of the machine it takes care of you. 

Hopefully you found this review informative and if I miss anything feel free to let me know or PM me.

• Like 4
Great review. Lots of good in here. I just ordered a Hornady lnl a with case feeder. I did lots of research beforehand and had to look at multiple sources to get this much info. This would have saved me quite a bit of time.

I was really on the fence and only ordered the Hornady because I got a great deal. After I get it and use it some I'll post a review as well. I hope I can do as good a job as Comms did here.
  • Like 1

Great review. Lots of good in here. I just ordered a Hornady lnl a with case feeder. I did lots of research beforehand and had to look at multiple sources to get this much info. This would have saved me quite a bit of time.

I was really on the fence and only ordered the Hornady because I got a great deal. After I get it and use it some I'll post a review as well. I hope I can do as good a job as Comms did here.

Thanks for your kind words brother.

The Hornady has good value for the money and a lot of people prefer the powder system on it a little better than the Dillon.

I hope you like the Hornady though itll still serve you right.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

IMO, the 4 must have additions for an xl650 are

• 1) strong mounts - just get them, you won't regret it,they're that good the extra 6" saves you much pain for the back and the mounts for the tools and finished round bins are a big improvement
  • 2) automatic case feeder - it'd be worth it at twice the price, but don't tell Dillon that
  • 3) adding lights to illuminate the shellplate - huge safety improvemen!
  • 4) get the Ergo roller lever by Inline Fabrication - the roller handle Dillon sells is barely an upgrade in comparison, I'd almost rather keep the ball handle

There's also a few tweaks that help too, just gotta search around. The ones I found most helpful:

• Use a zip tie to hold the primer feed arm back when adjusting dies to prevent filling up the primer chute
  • Put some tape around the sides of that chute and around the spent prmer cup to keep them from falling out onto the floor
  • Use a rifle round to pin the case feed arm open to interrupt the case feeder when adjusting dies

Keep the shellplate clean too. I have gummed up my primer feed system more than once by not keeping my shellplate clean.

Thanks all for your kind words.

If anyone is in the Clarksville area and wants to meet up to get some hands on time with the machine I am more than happy to let you - I am setup for 9mm and 45ACP and if you provide the comps Id be happy to let any of you give it a test drive.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk