anybody shoot the 6.8SPC round?

Haven't used it to hunt with yet but love mine. Have a 16" ARP barrel and it is capable of 0.5" groups at 100 yards with 110gr Hornady BTHPs.

All the stuff I have read about the round for hunting has been excellent. And it is a good mid-range target round (I've rung steel at 500 yards but still working on loads).
I'm a fan of the 6.8 I've had 2 rifles chambered for it. After selling the first I decided to quickly replace it. This one isn't going anywhere. I've not used it for hogs but it has worked wonders on whitetails. Check out 68forums.com lots of people use it on pigs over there.
Yep, it's my go-to hunting rifle. Never liked the 5.56. The 6.8 is about as good as it gets in the AR platform, everything else had too many compromises, range, barrel length, load variables, etc.

I got into it back when Ko-tonics was just figuring things out. At this point, there is no more wildcat mystery left in the 6.8. Plenty of parts, ammo has really come down, and market support is excellent. Edited by Smith
Polecat, you can certainly do that...you also need a 6.8 bolt at the least, or a complete bolt carrier group for your 6.8 upper would be slightly easier. Then as time and savings allow, build you a second lower and then you've got two rifles!
  • Like 1

Get an ARP Superbolt with your choice of carrier or a Stag BCG if you want high quality 6.8 stuff.

Something to be aware of, the LWRC 68 stuff is not quite the same - mags are different and I believe the receivers are too.

This. LWRC calls their hybrid SIX8. Uses proprietary bolt, upper, lower, and mags. Whole different animal. Good animal, but different.

Check out 68 forums. ARP and the other leaders in 6.8 post there frequently and keep everyone up to date with trends.

Edited by Smith

My only ar is a 20" 6.8. Shoots nice. Not any diff in recoil vs 223 and extra mass in the bullet!

Get the PRI mags. They work. A 223 mag can work but you can't fill it up....

also, can't use polymer 5.56 mags. They will bulge, break and fail.

You guys have convinced me to get a 6.8 upper at least for now and build a complete rifle when I can afford it. I'll have to use 5.56mags partially filled for now. Any thoughts on 6.8 uppers for the budget minded?

In my AR building experience, my suggestion is spend the cash on a good quality barrel. This should be the most expensive part of the upper besides glass. I really like the ARP barrels and he's an East TN company to boot. My second option would be Stag. I tried a Radical barrel in .300 blackout and was severely disappointed...4" groups off sandbags at 50 yards...but that was a $89 barrel. Like has been said 5.56 mags will work as long as they aren't poly mags, but a C-products 6.8 mag is less than $20 and well worth the investment.

Had one wish I wouldn't have got rid of it now. I think I am going to put another one together. As stated spend a little more on a better barrel. I had a daniel defense barrel on mine and it was a great shooter. I personally could never get the 6.8 to feed right out of any of my 5.56 mags, be it gi or polymer. PSA had some cheap 6.8 mags the other day.

• Like 1

Any receiver, get a PSA or similar and put the extra money towards a barrel.
ARP or Bison Armory barrel IMO.
ARP Superbolt with your choice of carrier.
Black River Tactical or Vortex comp.

http://bisonarmory.com/barrels/
http://ar15performance.com/barrels

+1, but there aren't any Superbolts at the moment as there is a patent debacle holding things up. Not ARP‘s fault but it is theirs and our headache. If you can find, one grab it.