My version of the MPA 971 9mm

The original configuration of the MPA 971
MPA971_685fe3875d6eb1d222a8_1.jpg

The 2 huge problems with the original Masterpiece Arms 971 is with out the mag, it weighs in at over 10 lbs and MPA wanted to use the FAL hammer so they had to off set the MAC 11 upper from the FAL lower. As pictured here with the upper adapter in place. Most of that block of steel in front of the sight is solid steel.
P1050805.jpg
This makes the FAL rear sight useless so they never made the gun with a front sight. I use a modifyed AR hammer in a DSA alloy lower so I could center the FAL FCG under the MAC 11 reciever tube. The MPA adapter that joins the upper to the lower weighs over 2 lbs alone. I cut over 1 lb of steel from it and welded it to the upper. The rear section of the adapter was solid steel so I milled it out so the bolt assembly could be pulled straight out from the rear just as the FAL bolt. I made a alloy plug with a steel recoil core so the bolt wouldnt beat the plug into a mushroom. The original mag release worked backwards. You had to pull back on it to release the mag. I fixed that to forward pressure. I swapped out the steel FAL lower for a DSA alloy lower and that was nearly a 1 lb savings. This is one handy carbine now and is QD take down. The shroud is a cut down suomi unit that holds the handguards on by way of the detent retained flash suppressor pictured. The gun now wieghs 7.75 lbs with no mag and it has nice open sights. The target is 30 rds of wolf 9mm FMJ @ 25 yards.
P1050806-1.jpg
P1050810.jpg
P1050815.jpg
P1050807.jpg
P1050806.jpg
P1050811.jpg
In the end testing, the stick mag proved to be unreliable. There just is not enough distance between the chamber mouth and magazine as was the case in the Sumoi. Altho a shorter 20rd mag may have enough spring strength to kick the rounds up to chamber level, I never did cut one down.....yet.

• Like 2

I had to blink twice to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing. Then I decided to google it, but all I kept finding was posts by you :)

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334173

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_48/374650_Remember_the_MPA_971___If_it_was_made_like_this__it_would_still_be_around__.html

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?274725-MPA-971-how-it-should-have-been

I've seen a ton of G3/FAL/CETME type variants but that is one crazy looking Frankenstein. The bottom photo makes it look like a BAR and a FAL got drunk one night, decided to call over a Galil for a "ménage à trois" and 9 months later this thing arrived. I will hand it to you, it looks much better than the original. The original model looks like it used to hang out with the Calico Liberty in high school.

All jokes aside, did really make this gun with ONLY a rear sight?

None of the MPA's had front sights. In place of that, they had a heavy steel picatinny rail on the receiver. Since the last picture, I put an alloy weaver rail on top in case I ever wanted to put a dot scope on. The AKM forend is hollow and ripe for an internal laser ..... some day.