PT145 Likes and Dislikes

Guest deut20:16

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased a PT145 about 6 years ago, and kept it for about a year...

I liked the size and the capacity (10+1 of .45acp is impressive in a compact pistol), the grip was pretty nice, as well.

I didn't like the way the pistol disassembled, or it's rough, long, heavy, gritty trigger... neither was the pistol very accurate. Mine would also jam quite regularly on FMJ ammo, and would rarely feed hollowpoints.

My analysis is essentially that it's not a bad gun, for the money, but there are much better choices... such as the XD-45 Compact or the Glock 30SF. I'd buy either one of those before I would another PT145, and I am not that big a fan of Glock... if that tells you anything.

You might check here and here.

There is also a Taurus forum, with lots of info there too.

I have a pt140, and like it well enough. It's perfectly reliable, not a jam in mine yet. The trigger is my only real complaint, it's long and rough, which leads to lack of accuracy unless you're very well practiced.

Also, to nitpick, the grips are too deeply checkered, they'll just about draw blood if you're going to be shooting a few mags worth. A slip on grip would be a good investment.

That says alot. I actually looked at the glock,xd, and m&p this morning. My wife has a m&p40 and its great but i'm looking towards a compact that will end up under the seat or in the glove box. You get what you pay for.

my first gun was a taurus pt11 (9mm) titanium slide. pure garbage! with not even 500 rounds down the pipe the 2 pins that hold the trigger group in the frame came out. taurus fixed it for free and i traded it as soon as it came back.

a buddy had close to the same model in .45 and the take down pin flew out while we were shooting one day. he had not even put 500 rounds through his either. he still has it it sits on the night stand.

Guest oldhack62

Sounds like nobody here has a 3rd-generation PT145 model. The 1st generation had problelms with cracks in the frame, now fixed. The first two generations had double-action-only triggers, while the current/3rd has single-action, with double-action strike capability on the cartridge in the chamber in case of a misfire. Also adds an auxiliary rail.

As for the takedown, well, it ain't any worse than that of my S&W Model 59.

Pretty good guns, actually, in my opinion.

got a 3rd gen. pt145 love it. have put about 900 rounds tru it no problem .the take down is not that bad after 4 or 5 times you do it. a very good gun for the money.i would say buy one .

The main reason I even held it was price. Glock,xd,and m&p are all 500-550 the pt is 350 but I saw on another post here that it was 299 maybe my friend the gun dealer is a little high. Thanks for all the advice and concerns,when the choice is made you'll be the first to know.

Deuteronomy 20:16 (King James Version)

"But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth.."

--------------------

Hey, you're going to need more than a handgun or two to accomplish that!

- OS