Busy Week For Critter Cam

Bigger bear visited the side of the house last night about 9pm. Had the coon trap set again for a second coon, I don't know if 2 apple cores and a half a banana attracted him or not but he knocked it over. I decided to give up racoon trapping for now.

Bear6-7-16.jpg

BearClose6-7-16.jpg

BearCloser6-7-16.jpg

Edited by Jeb48
  • Like 4

Very nice! The down side to attracting wildlife is the nuisance aspect. All animals are hungry. Bear will rip down bird feeders and go through your trash.

They are timid (to a point) and scare off easily. But when food is involved they can be more stubborn. 

Bird seed must be like candy, I've got deer at my feeders damn near every night. Then they take a walk through and snack on the garden.  

Great pic of the bear! 

12 hours ago, Ugly said:

Very nice! The down side to attracting wildlife is the nuisance aspect. All animals are hungry. Bear will rip down bird feeders and go through your trash.

They are timid (to a point) and scare off easily. But when food is involved they can be more stubborn. 

Bird seed must be like candy, I've got deer at my feeders damn near every night. Then they take a walk through and snack on the garden.  

Great pic of the bear! 

Not trying to attract wildlife, we keep garbage in the garage, gave up  feeding birds when we moved to bear country (I can handle a squirrel in my feeder but not a bear). The raccoons were coming nightly and digging all the new plantings we had put out. We tried grub killer because we were told that was what they were after, didn't work, we tried the repellent powder, it helped a little but not enough, tried a different type of repellent, didn't work. Was told by another "expert" only way was to trap them, we did and it worked for a possum and the first raccoon. Not sure if the 2 apple cores and half a banana was enough to attract the second bear, but I have put the trap away for now so they don't get use to checking us out for a snack (Bear didn't get food in trap and didn't damage the trap just knocked it over and triggered the trap's door). Last night's trail cam shots were two raccoons smelling around but they did not dig, The first coon had met its demise where they were smelling so maybe I didn't flush enough water in the gravel to get rid of the blood. Maybe that is why they left.

We enjoy seeing the animals but don't try to lure them in for photos.

We were told that a few years ago some people further up in the mountains, close by here, had a bird feeder hanging in the middle of a wire about 10 feet in the air strung between their cabin and a tree. One day they counted 5 bears sitting in the yard under the feeder trying to figure out how to get to it.