I'm curious about the Glock 42

Randall53

Being a big fan of Glocks I often read about them just to see what's up. I was recently surprised while reading about multiple problems with the Glock 42. I've read about barrel problems, feed problems, slide problems and mag problems. What's the scoop on this sweet looking pistol? I'm not in the market or anything, but just wondering how a company famous for making very reliable pistols dropped the ball. Has anyone here had trouble with the 42? I know it happens, but I've got 2 of them I've had for 3 or 4 years, a 27 and 34, and can't remember the first hiccup out of either of mine.

I have owned the 42 for about 2 months now.  I have run probably 150-200 rounds through it without a hiccup.  I have shot everything from white box to Federal HST (my carry round) without problems.   I also installed the extra round/pinky extension on both mags and still no issues.   The rounded edges made it the perfect "pocket gun" for summer/workout clothes (I use a Boraii Eagle pocket holster for this purpose) which is one of the key selling points for me.  As far as I am concerned the 42 is G2G.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, dcloudy777 said:

For me, .380s bigger then the LCP/P3-AT make absolutely zero sense, but whatever floats your boat. 

I understand this one... The "attraction" to the glock 42 is, for me, at least; the fact that it is a bit bigger... It's easier for me to grip comfortably than our little sig 238... I like the "easy shootin" thing too... Especially for those of us who's hands are gettin a bit weaker (...mine are...)... It's like shootin a 22 ... The little pistola slips right down in the front pocket of my dungarees, khakis, or cargo shorts... It's slim, but the grip frame is about right for my larger hands... If ya are younger and have strong hands, the bigger pistolas make more sense... Age changes lots of things... I used to tote a lightweight commander 45ACP...

leroy

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, leroy said:

I understand this one... The "attraction" to the glock 42 is, for me, at least; the fact that it is a bit bigger... It's easier for me to grip comfortably than our little sig 238... I like the "easy shootin" thing too... Especially for those of us who's hands are gettin a bit weaker (...mine are...)... It's like shootin a 22 ... The little pistola slips right down in the front pocket of my dungarees, khakis, or cargo shorts... It's slim, but the grip frame is about right for my larger hands... If ya are younger and have strong hands, the bigger pistolas make more sense... Age changes lots of things... I used to tote a lightweight commander 45ACP...

leroy

Yep...my thoughts precisely Leroy. I was just posting out of curiosity since I have noticed that the G-43 seems to have no issues reported, yet the G-42 has had several issues from reports I've read. I guess it could be LWS (limp wrist syndrome....LOL) since it seems a lot of women like the G-42 and sometimes have a tendency to have a lighter grip on a pistol.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I got my wife one about a year ago. And have over 1000 rounds through it and have not had any problems. I really like the size of it and it is so easy to carry wearing anything. If I was doing it again I would get a 43 instead of 42. Nothing to do with the 42 just the fact 9mm ammo is about half of the cost of 380.

I was at the factory about two weeks ago with a friend getting his 42 NS installed. They swapped out his mags. He has "03" mags on the back lower now. This designates that the polymer coating on the feed lips has a lesser diameter because there were intermittent complaints about the slide getting stuck according to the armorer. Most don't have that particular issue, but he updated the mags n/c anyway. My wife's has "02" with no issues.
An issue I experienced and have since corrected is have the slide stop engage while shooting. I was reloading the COAL to SAAMI spec, but through reading came to find out that it was still too long. I shorted the COAL and problem solved. Maybe factory ammo is too long as well? Could be that the projectile is barely bumping the slide stop and engaging it. I found .97" works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk