Smith & Wesson Governor .45LC/.45ACP/.410

Danger Rane

Was wondering if anyone here has any first hand experience with the S&W Governor? I have a Rossi Circuit Judge that is essentially a carbine version of a Taurus Judge and I really like it's cartridge versatility. I've been meaning to add a double action revolver (handgun) to the stable and I like that the Governor eats calibers I already stock. That being said, sometimes things created to fit multiple rolls don't always fit any of them well......So I'd appreciate any relevant feedback anyone has.

Edited by Danger Rane

It is kind of a jack of all trades, but a master of none for sure. I have researched them a lot. As far as scandium S&W's go, they are priced reasonably well. The black models appear to all have a Big Dot Night Sight, but the bright stainless does not. I can't think of a more versatile in caliber handgun in production. I read a professional review the 45GAP rounds were the most accurate of all the factory ammo tested. They will not close with 45 Auto Rim cartridges and are not intended to shoot anything over standard pressure. I wouldn't run 45 Supers but I would think 45acp plus p would be fine as it is about the same as some standard 45 Colts. Ruger only loads are completely out of the question. The free-bore of the long cylinder does cause some velocity loss, but I remember reading that it wasn't near as much as I would have thought. 

I have shot a judge, but not a governor, and find the shotshells really penetrate poorly; even the specialty handgun rounds. The shotshells also leave you feeling really dirty after shooting. I do like the judge with 45 Colt rounds though.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, 1madss said:

Unless you shooting .410 is a requirement you would most likely be better served with a Model 25.

Model 25's are hard to come by at reasonable prices and are a much heavier gun. If you go to gunbroker you can look for some S&w 325pd. But if weight is not a factor Ruger makes a 45lc/45acp Redhawk now.

I've handled and shot The Thunder Five, Taurus Judge and S&W Governor with my preference going towards the heavier Thunder Five. In my personal opinion all of these are more novelty oriented then practical revolvers but others may disagree. Insofar as fit, finish and reliability between the Judge or Governor I prefer the later. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 1madss said:

Unless you shooting .410 is a requirement you would most likely be better served with a Model 25.

The sad part is that unless you find an incredible deal on a used 625 or 25 the Governor is the cheapest way into a S&W revolver that shoots .45ACP.  :wall:

I have seen a reproduction of the classic 5" model 22 for  $700 recently. It was a deal because it had a lot of extras. image_zps0qeed68i.jpegI have also seen some slightly modernized, to where the have lost collector interest, pre-model 22's for around $500. One had been shortened nicely and parkerized; I almost wished I would have bought it.

Edited by Patton