Walther P22 or Sig Mosquito?

poak

I'm thinking about picking up a fun little .22 plinker pistol.

Anybody have a recommendation? I'm mainly considering the Walther P22 or a Sig Mosquito.

I know a few of you guys on the board have P22s and seem to like them. Has anybody had negative experiences w/ the P22?

Does anyone have a Mosquito? What's your experience?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 70below

I have a buddy with a P22 another with a Mosquito......I hear less tales about feeding issues with the Mosquito, but both have ammo types they like and don't like. Alot of the problems I hear about with the P22's supposedly have to do with an older mag design that has been corrected. But I don't know that for fact. Given the same price, generally, I think I like the sig better.

I've shot the Walther and it was OK. Can't say anything about the SIG as I haven't held one. I have heard that both of these can be picky about ammo. I was looking for a plinker about 6 months ago and decided on the Ruger 22/45. It's eats any type of ammo and is designed to feel like a 1911. (I use it like a trainer but much cheaper to shoot!)

Guest johnmattwill

I have a Sig Mosquito and love it!!! It is a great plinker. It is 90% the size of a Sig 226R and has all the same features and feel: decocker etc... but with a manual safety also....

Mine is pretty picky on ammo, I shoot CCI Mini Mags out of it and have not had a issue in the last 500 rounds...

Its decently accurate , and I use it for economical practice vs my full size Sig...

Ive to the TT Railed version , so it looks COOL too!!! :P

From what I hear you would be happy with either, I just love Sigs so thats my choice!!!!!

Mosquito.jpg

Guest justinbelcher13

I have a p22 I love. I shoot thunderbolts and have 1-2 out of each box FTF. That is the only issue I have ever had out of it, and I would blame that on the ammo over the gun.

I have a Sig and I love it. I held a P22 before I bought the Sig and it just felt too small for me.

My Sig has not been finicky on ammo. It shoots the bulk stuff just as well as the CCI Mini-Mags or Stingers. When I bought my Sig it included a $10 rebate for buying 4 boxes of Mini-Mags.

My one and only issue with the sig is with the factory magazine. If I shoot the Mini-Mags or stingers when the 9th round is fired the 10 round will eject with the spent casing. This only happens with high velocity ammo, not with the standard velocity. I got 2 new sig magazines and I have not had that problem with either one.

I was doing a little surfing around the web checking out .22 plinkers, and I found this : http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p229r-.22lr-nitron-adjustable-sights-da-sa-converts-to-9mm.html , detailing Sig's "2-step" Program.

I've been wanting a 229 for a while now anyway... still, $400 for the 9mm upper seems a little steep, effectively putting the whole package at about $900.

Guest cdsusong

I own a P22 and love it. My boys love to shoot it as well. Great gun. With that said, one of my buddies bought a Sig Mosquito today and we shot a bunch of rounds through it. I have to say I was impressed. I love the Sig guns but have always shivered at the prices. He purchased the Mosq. for $300. Compared to the P22 price I paid which was $299, I would go for the Sig if I had it to do over. The P22 is a better fit for my boys and it will never leave our family. Perhaps a Sig in our future?