Rutherford County Carry Permit Class

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchetjaw
I know that On Target on Thompson Ln does a class. I have not taken it myself, but several co-workers have gone through with no complaints.

That's where I took mine. They do a good job. Got it back in 2 weeks

Sent from my DROID4 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

I was told by an On Target employee that they do not permit "drawing" your pistol in the class. Apparently, all shooting takes place from a ready position. If I were taking a class, I'd want more than that.

Check with CIS. I've heard great things about their classes. In fact, I sent my son and daughter in law through CIS, and they both thought it was great!

I took On Target's class and was less than impressed. For one, at $115 it was the highest priced class around. I mainly took it there because of time, close to house. Found the instructor to be a little arrogant and when questions were asked he made some people feel like they asked a "dumb" question. The range part was like someone else said, no drawing from your holster, and seemed overly strict as to simply picking up the gun from the shelf, firing it, then laying it back down.

• Administrator

I was told by an On Target employee that they do not permit "drawing" your pistol in the class. Apparently, all shooting takes place from a ready position. If I were taking a class, I'd want more than that.

Check with CIS. I've heard great things about their classes. In fact, I sent my son and daughter in law through CIS, and they both thought it was great!

The permit class isn't a defensive pistol class, so shooting from a ready position is adequate and possibly even the requirement.

I will second CIS. Dustin does a great job and is a good dude. You're likely to learn a little more than the state minimum from him, including what parts of the course material are just wrong or outdated.

The permit class isn't a defensive pistol class, so shooting from a ready position is adequate and possibly even the requirement.

I will second CIS. Dustin does a great job and is a good dude. You're likely to learn a little more than the state minimum from him, including what parts of the course material are just wrong or outdated.

I will third CIS. Unless they've changed since I took their permit class, you'll get exactly what you're looking for from them.

I heard there are $50 carry classes somewhere in Woodbury east of Murfreesboro.

Nevermind, you said "GOOD." I don't know whether or not the class is any good.

The Woodbury class you're referring to is taught by Charley Wilder. Yes, it is a good class. His number is 849-2083.

You will fire from a draw at three yards in Wilder's class. :up:

Edited by RadarP3C
  • 2 months later...
Guest AmericanWorkMule

I seen a sign by Sloan's Motorcycle shop for "Learn 2 Shoot" offers a Permit to Carry Class.

Does anyone have a opinion of them? Thanks

Terry Walden in Manchester has classes. You will want to check-out his range anyway.

Terry Walden Gunsmith

Tel: 931-728-0223

1862 Sixteenth Model Rd

Manchester, TN 37355

Range Type: Public

Shooting Facilities:

* Outdoor Pistol (50yds)

* Outdoor Rifle (300m)

Guest bluecanary25

From Handgun Carry Permit Schools

+ 1 for

School Name: The Gun Shop

Primary Instructor: Jim Carter

HCP Class Cost: $100

Phone number: 615-305-3653

Your Personal Experience: Jim Carter was a really cool guy and I enjoyed the class very much so. He showed us several guns and told us of several techniques. I guess the best part was that since he teaches it at his home, he is able to teach the class whenver really. This is the biggest plus for me , because I work retail and therefore work every weekend. All in all great class, very informative. He even has his own little range. I would definetly recommend to anyone thinking of getting thie HCP.

Gregory

My wife and son both went through Jim's class. Very mellow and friendly man.

His classes are close to Hwy96, Almaville Rd. and I840. Easy to get to.

Edited by bluecanary25

From Handgun Carry Permit Schools

My wife and son both went through Jim's class. Very mellow and friendly man.

His classes are close to Hwy96, Almaville Rd. and I840. Easy to get to.

I went thru Jim's class too. It was just him and me. We had a blast. Can't say what one of his normal classes would be like, but we did a lot of shooting. Also some self defense stuff before we got down to the range test. I highly recommend him.