Things Aren't Always as They Appear

Reminds me of the classic story of the truck driver going into NY City to deliver who sees a woman running across the street screaming "Rape!" being chased by a scruffy looking dude. The driver grabs his pistol he kept in his glovebox for protection ( which was illegal in NYC) and jumps out to go save the day... turns out the woman is a hooker being chased by an undercover vice cop....when the truck driver drew down on the cop he gets arrested and ends up in prison......so be VERY careful about interjecting yourself into a situation you don't have all the information on......

If it ain't me or someone I care about being threatened then I'll call 911, try to get what details I can and otherwise stay completely out of it.  I am not nor do I want to be a cop and it is not my job nor my inclination to be a protector of society at large.  The way I figure, if another adult chooses not to be equipped to defend themselves then it isn't my responsibility to defend them.  I carry a gun to, if necessary, hopefully help get me out of trouble not to embolden me to walk in to trouble.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 3

This same story was discussed on another site where one of the members said he would not get involved unless it directly involved him or family.  While I may of done the same thing as the former LEO, it is a personal choice whether to get involved or not.  In a situation where you do not know the exact nature of the situation it may be prudent to wait until you can make an informed decision.  In the case of the bike confrontation I would be inclined to put both of them on the ground and sort out the details once the knife was out of the equation.

As far as the NY story, I would have to of seen a stabbing or shooting in progress before I let anyone know I am armed...just sayin.  A quick shout to the chasing individual would of probably resulted in him identifying himself as LEO.

Hard to say emphatically what any of us would do in any given situation but these sort of things are why I am not a "Public" person in the sense of getting out and doing things.  VERY few things are worth me going out for anymore.  With only a couple of exceptions, everywhere I go is very to the point and usually done with haste.  Honestly, I'd just rather be on my own turf.  This lessens the chance of me being in a situation of any kind.  

I put my pistol on in the morning with the mindset of, "Me and my Wife".  No one else.  Not to say I wouldn't help, but I'm not the kind of guy to stand around long enough to choose a side.  

If I see a guy on the ground with another man pointing a gun at him..... I'm headed the opposite direction as fast as my fat azz will move.

• Like 2