New barrel or new upper?

So I've been meaning to change something with my AR for a while and after the meet and greet I started doing my research on barrels and uppers. I want a 1:9 twist barrel and a full length gas system. From what I understand this leaves me with getting a 18" or 20" barrel. So would it be cheaper to buy a new barrel and all the additional parts or just buy a completed upper (a BCM upper). I honestly don't know squat about building and I'd probably need some guidance.

You can come out way cheaper by buying all the different parts and paying someone to assemble them than buying a BCM upper. In any case building an upper isn't difficult with the right tools if you decide to go that route yourself.

So all I'd have to buy if I kept my same upper is a barrel, gas tube, front sight, rear sight, and handguard.

Just out of curiosity what are you wanting to use this build to do? I'm going the opposite direction with a 16" barrel.

I want a AR with a rifle length gas system. Something that I can utilize 55 gr bullets out of and I can take out west and shoot prairie dogs with. I'd be OK with an 18" if I could find one. I also do want the increased muzzle velocity from a 16" barrel.

I'm going to be going for a similar build soon, and am probably going this routehttps://www.primaryarms.com/Yankee_Hill_20_Inch_Barrel_Threaded_Fluted_1_9_p/yhm-79-tf.htm

Plus, friends don't let friends buy from Cheaper Than Dirt. :-D

I looked at that but the tight ass in me is willing to do business with them to save some money. I figure that this build is probably going to be the last thing I can do for 4 years so I need to save some money while I'm in college. I hate Cheaper Than Dirt but I will save some money on buying unnecessary things that I don't really need.

Also, keep in mind with the barrels linked in this thread so far; you'll end up having about 3-4 Lbs hanging off the front end of the receiver, so you may want a heavier stock to counter the weight.

I'm planning on looking for a stock once I find the barrel I want. I may look at a shorter fixed stock like a M16A1.
Don't be a tight ass. Go to ARP and get the barrel you want. Don't get hung up on twist rate. My original do all rifle was a 16" 1/7. Took yotes at 400yds+ on numerous occasions. Personally I like 1/8 over any of them, my most accurate barrels seem to sport that twist rate .
  • Like 1
Also, I would go 20" and get that extra velocity. You could also use a standard profile rather than a bull. With a 20" bill the gun gets really heavy. My 20" gun has a pencil thin barrel, .6" under the handguard and .55" in front of the gas block. It is as accurate as most other ARs I have shot. And worse case scenario you can get someone to thin the barrel to reduce weight.
Is it honestly worth the money to get a new barrel or should I just buy a new trigger? With all of these responses it has made me rethink the whole barrel idea because my gun will shoot under an inch at 100 yds already. I really want another barrel but for what I would be getting would it really make that much of a difference?